Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: slow downloads on any websitre (Read 685 times) previous topic - next topic

slow downloads on any websitre

i  am new to linux  i installed  suite 66 kde iso all  my programs/games work fine
 i speedtest at 950Mbps but whenever i download a file from any site it downloads \ at 12 mbps or less like 50kbops
it doesnt matter what browser i use

any ideas
 i solved  feel stupid connection settiong was set to limit bandwith really low

Re: slow downloads on any websitre

Reply #1
Use other mirrors
Create problems which don't have solution

Reply #2
i  am new to linux  i installed  suite 66 kde iso all  my programs/games work fine
 i speedtest at 950Mbps but whenever i download a file from any site it downloads \ at 12 mbps or less like 50kbops
it doesnt matter what browser i use

any ideas
This is really unrelated to the init system. Check your network configuration and the configuration of programs you use for download. The download speed also depends on the server you are downloading files from.

Reply #3
Just because you have a 950Mbps connection doesn't mean you can download a file at that speed. The server that you are downloading the file from also has a limit on how fast they can send the file to you. If their connection is 10Mbs, you will never get above that downloading a file from them either.

950Mbps is good for fast internet with many connected devices. My home has 2 notebooks, a NAS, 2 smart TVs, 1 tablet, and 2 cellphones. The idea is that 950Mbps is divided between all those devices so that everyone has a fast connection.

The fastest speed you might possibly get on a single file is when torrenting. That is because you are downloading pieces of the file from many different people/servers. So from person A you are downloading a piece at 10Mbps, and from person B you are downloading at 20Mbps for a total of 30Mbps downloading the file.

There can be other factors that effect your download speed negatively too. Your ISP could be throttling your connection, the server you are downloading from is overloaded and slow, dns problems, etc.
Chris Cromer

Reply #4
I get about 10mbps on ookla speed test, but for downloads on e.g. updates I get about 1.2mbps max. If I transfer large files between 2 computers with sftp  here the speed gradually rises to about 1.2mbps max. Not sure if the sftp transfer goes online and gets bounced back again from my connected IP server online, but why would it do that? So it looks like whatever is limiting things is local to the computers here, wifi connections and the router itself. A high spec gaming or business router might have a fast processor with multiple cores but typical ones have just some basic few hundred mhz cpu, they just have a small psu, no fans or heatsinks, yet that's what has to forward all your data bit by bit, so possibly that's a bottleneck, I've only used ordinary cheap ones so can't say if it would help or whether a better router would only assist for multiple devices rather than overall speed. But I'm also using older 10 year old hw so perhaps there are some limits internally from that too, like I got a PCIE USB 3.0 adapter and despite the claims of USB 3.0 max speed as a standard it's still not quite as fast as the built in eSATA port although it's faster than the built in USB 2.0 ports presumably because of what the PCIE port will support.
 If you are using wifi there are some devices that are less well supported in Linux, and you might need some alternate driver or firmware to make it work properly, and sometimes there are combinations of wifi device and router make / model that don't work well together, if you suspect this then try connecting directly to the router via ethernet for comparison, even if it's not convenient for regular use give it a try as a test. If you are getting 50kbps a lot rather than just briefly then there is probably a problem.