Skip to main content
Topic: I force shut down while in the live CD, and now I can’t boot from USB (Read 555 times) previous topic - next topic

I force shut down while in the live CD, and now I can’t boot from USB

So basically I used balena etcher with the base artix runit iso to make a bootable USB and loaded it up on my 2009 Toshiba M700 portege laptop. Everything was fine, I booted into the live CD, gave myself root, then I decide to connect to wifi. I check if wlan0 is up, it isn’t, I try setting it up, it gives me the rfkill error, I check to see if it’s hard locked or soft locked, it’s soft locked so I un soft locked it, and then I ran “ip link set wlan0 up”. I waited a while and nothing happened. I tried typing stuff in, couldn’t run any commands and figured it just crashed or something. I hit the power button to turn everything off so I could retry from scratch, it fails to fully power off. I then decided to hold the power button to force a shutdown, and now every time I try to boot from USB it tells me System Error and to press F1 to view the bios :o . My windows 7 install still works fine, everything else is all good, but now I can’t seem to boot from a USB. I tried using balena to redo the bootable USB multiple times and the laptop can still read the USB in windows, but it doesn’t seem to want to boot from it.
I assume the forced shutdown caused this, if anyone has any knowledge or experience on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: I force shut down while in the live CD, and now I can’t boot from USB

Reply #1
Hold on, I might have found the answer to my own problem
I suspect it isn’t actually detecting the USB
Why? Because when I try and boot from a disc (while not having a disc inserted) it gives me the exact same check system error.

Reply #2
Weird it gives the same error when I select the HDD too despite the HDD loading fi-
holy shit I can load off the USB
For some reason the on screen boot options don’t work but changing boot order in the bios does work!

Reply #4
Please don't create several posts in succession, use the "More... -> Modify" menu item in the lower right corner of a post instead.

Also, don't use Balena etcher. That article lists a number of alternatives on various OSes.

doesn't dd just work?