Skip to main content
Topic: Help with virtualbox-guest-utils on openrc (Read 883 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with virtualbox-guest-utils on openrc

I am trying Artix openrc in a vm with eos host. Guest resizing work without any issue on both manjaro and eos in vm and for arch one has to install virtualbox-guest-utils and enable the service vboxservice. I am not able to acheive this in openrc or runit. Please help.

Re: Help with virtualbox-guest-utils on openrc

Reply #1
What is the graphics controller of the VM? I use VBoxSVGA which autoresizes fine. VMSVGA supports resizing but you have to set it in the monitor properties of your guest OS's DE settings. At least it remembers the set window size after reboot. Modules loaded: vboxdrv and vboxvideo. Packages installed:
Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Qq|grep virtualbox
virtualbox
virtualbox-ext-oracle
virtualbox-ext-vnc
virtualbox-guest-iso
virtualbox-guest-utils
virtualbox-host-dkms

Reply #2
Thank you so much nous for replying. I am on a manjaro host right now. 2 problems right now

The modules show a failed status on boot and aren't loaded. I have added them in `/lib/modules-load.d/modules.conf`. Please help

Secondly which packages should be installed on the host? I have right now virtualbox-guest-utils, virtualbox-guest-iso and virtualbox-host-dkms.

Thank you

Reply #3
The canonical place to designate autoloaded modules is /etc/modules-load.d/modulename.conf

I literally gave you the list of my installed virtualbox packages...

Reply #4
I am trying Artix openrc in a vm with eos host. Guest resizing work without any issue on both manjaro and eos in vm and for arch one has to install virtualbox-guest-utils and enable the service vboxservice. I am not able to acheive this in openrc or runit. Please help.
It is not that complicated. see screenshot 1.

If you hate Microsoft and want to have the setting like on screenshot 2,
you have to create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf with the following content:

Code: [Select]
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Virtual1"
    Option   "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
EndSection

That's all you have to do.
"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "