Skip to main content
Topic: (SOLVED)Something causing Apex to completely break my sound? (Read 592 times) previous topic - next topic

(SOLVED)Something causing Apex to completely break my sound?

So I'm running Artix with openrc and xfce4 and I got an issue with my sound card.
The soundcard Im using is a Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD, since my motherboard audio is dead.
Whenever I start Apex Legends my whole system gets a disturbing hard eletric background buzz on every sound I play, I recorded a little so you guys know what I mean, its really bad.
I do not have this issue when using my Samsung USB-C dac, only with my PCIe Soundblaster card.
I've tried different kernels, lqx and zen but the Issue is the same.
I'd really appreciate if someone knows what would cause this and how I could fix it.
https://youtu.be/i2cgUR8fQxE

Re: Something causing Apex to completely break my sound?

Reply #1
In alsamixer there is a PCM slider, which is the pre-amp. There may be other places pre-amplification takes place if you have pulse audio or wireplumber etc. So you can get distortion from the preamp stages if that is turned up too much, even though the final volume can be low.

Re: Something causing Apex to completely break my sound?

Reply #2
thanks for your suggestion, sadly that didn't help.
I think I fixed it by completely switching to pipewire, I still have that issue occasionally for 1-2 seconds but mostly it's gone now.