Skip to main content
Topic: Artix runit KDE graphical install bootloader error (Read 1590 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. Redirected from MOVED: Artix runit KDE graphical install bootloader error

Artix runit KDE graphical install bootloader error

The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command <pre>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Artix --force</pre> returned error code 1.

Artix runit KDE graphical install bootloader error

Reply #1
The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command <pre>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Artix --force</pre> returned error code 1.

I have BIOS legacy system and this error happens everytime please help

Re: Artix runit KDE graphical install bootloader error

Reply #5
BootCurrent: 0005
Timeout: 6 seconds
BootOrder: 0005,0004,0002
Boot0002* UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell      VenMedia(5023b95c-db26-429b-a648-bd47664c8012)..BO
Boot0004* Hard Drive    BBS(HD,,0x0)..GO..NO........o.S.T.9.5.0.0.3.2.5.A.S....................A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.2.S.F.W.Z.1.E.F. . . . . . . . . . . . ........BO..NO........Y.G.e.n.e.r.i.c. .F.l.a.s.h. .D.i.s.k. .8...0.7....................A.............................&..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.5.E.7.0.8.A.8.3........BO
Boot0005* UEFI: Generic Flash Disk 8.07 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(3,0)/USB(1,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x334db0,0x2000)..BO

Reply #6
So, your system isn't "BIOS legacy" after all, but UEFI.

Verify that there aren't excessive kernel dumps in /sys/firmware/efi/efivars by issuing
Code: [Select]
ls /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*

Are you partitioning the disks manually? To install to an UEFI system, you need ESP.

Reply #7
ls: cannot access '/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*': Invalid argument

you sure? Windows 10 showed me as legacy, also my motherboard is old

i tried manually partioning (firstly i tried the automatic one), see attachment

Reply #9
same error

Reply #10
The color scheme in that screenshot makes it very hard to read text, can you reboot from the LiveISO without changing the default theme and try again? If you don't plan on dual-booting that computer, the "Erase disk" option should work. Otherwise, you need to have enough space in ESP (at least 500 MB is recommended) and the partition need to be properly marked as such and associated with /boot/efi mountpoint. GPT is highly recommended. Other (ext4) partition needs to be assigned to / mountpoint.

See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Partitioning

Edit: /boot -> /boot/efi seems to be a requirement specifically for Calamares. It is possible to associate with /boot, but then GRUB needs to be installed manually from chroot.

Reply #11
no idea how the color scheme changed.

there's only these two options

you are explaining how to manually set up, right? can you do it with more simpler terms? i don't use linux in a long while and was just hoping to get a quick install

Reply #12
that same menu

after the initial failure, i tried MBR with the "new partition table" button

Reply #13
after the initial failure, i tried MBR with the "new partition table" button
I just explained that you need GPT, not MBR. Also assign the partitions to mountpoints (click on a partition list entry, then "Edit", then "Mount Point").

Reply #14
oh don't worry, I didn't touch the last screenshot, it was like that when i restart

anyways, is this good? its gpt