Skip to main content
Topic: A very fun little tool for those dual booting is a virtualbox command (Read 416 times) previous topic - next topic

A very fun little tool for those dual booting is a virtualbox command

specifically, this command run from in a terminal

Code: [Select]

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk - filename "/home/catherdersoflinux/Downloads/VirtualBoxStuffs/Artix/windows10sdc.vmdk" -rawdisk /dev/sdc

or atleast that's the version i use for my system.  This allows you to use a bare metal install of your other distro (in my case windows 10) inside a virtual box.  AND if you're savvy, install a bare metal install of your os from within a virtualbox that you can then boot from outside of virtualbox.  I have done both.  It was pretty neat.  Accessing your bare metal install allows you to update your other os from the comfort of your current os without having to interrupt your work or play.  Watch a youtube video while updating your other os, chat with friends on social media without having to switch to a tablet orr phone.  send a text or check email.  no need to log out or reboot.  Very handy.

Code: [Select]
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "/path/where/you/want/the/file/located/YourOsNamePerhaps.vmdk" -rawdisk /dev/sdX

just in case you didn't know...
Cat Herders of Linux

Re: A very fun little tool for those dual booting is a virtualbox command

Reply #1
that is not dual booting fwiw :(

It will give you a VM of windows on your box, if that is what you want.