Skip to main content
Topic: IP based blocklist to use the forum? (Read 432 times) previous topic - next topic

IP based blocklist to use the forum?

Does this forum has an IP based blocklist?

It just happened that I could not access the forum and was displayed an error message

> Sorry dreieck, you are banned from using this forum!
> Spammer
> This ban is not set to expire.

when I wanted to access the forum; upon reload later I was logged out and it changed to

> Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
> Spammer
> This ban is not set to expire.

My IP adress then was 45.8.148.207

I had to switch to another internet connection to log in again (IP adress now is: 212.102.50.76).

If there really is an IP based blocklist, I suggest to replace it with a user based blocklist which only takes effect after a blocked user has logged in, because IP based blocklists also tend to block legitimate users.

Regards!

---

EDIT:

I just had it again, trying to submit this reply in the first place, I was presented the message that I am a spammer, and I had to change my internet connection again and clear cookies to be able to post.

Re: IP based blocklist to use the forum?

Reply #1

Happened to me once. There's a tiny possibility that our systems or other devices on our networks sends unusual/suspicious amount of traffic. In my case I've used an app called netguard firewall on my phone to check internet connectivity with artixlinux.org which perhaps sent to many requests. I've changed that in my case and that error didn't showed up again.

Another possible explanation is that because of some bug or connectivity issues, forum thinks you are a guest and not a regular registered user

Could be also a combination of both causes, meaning you access the forum logged in from a browser and simultaneously or at a later time from another device from same ip but without being logged in so the system decides that you must be somehow abusing the forum.