Skip to main content
Topic: remounting root filesystem ro [failed] on shutdown  (Read 367 times) previous topic - next topic

remounting root filesystem ro [failed] on shutdown

Can anyone help me with this issue? I am now seeing a failed status when shutting down my system.
The error I receive is "remounting root filesystem ro [failed]" this is on Artix - DWM when shutting down.
Any help will be appreciated.

Re: remounting root filesystem ro [failed] on shutdown

Reply #1
What init are you using?

Reply #2
Hi thank you for the promote response.

I am using runit on a base install. This was fine in the past.

Reply #3
this issue is not a show stopper. I am able to start and stop my machine with no major issue. I do notice the failed message on shutdown and would like to know how to go about debugging. Please let me know if any further information is required. I am running Runit Base install with DWM - larbs.

Reply #4
Something is probably blocking. I.E. The sytem has asked a program to close and it won't, or is taking a long time.

Ideally without X having started shutdown your system as soon you've booted it. If it still occurs that would suggest one of the services is blocking. If it only occurs after X and / or other user programs you run have started it would be one of those.

For what it's worth I get similar can't unmount, can't remount, messages from time to time and I just ignore them.
If it was happening to me every time I might investigate but equally might not. I just chalk it down to "It happens".