Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [WORKAROUND] Broken XFCE installer - User account doesn't work correctly (Read 367 times) previous topic - next topic

[WORKAROUND] Broken XFCE installer - User account doesn't work correctly

Hello!

I've created a installation USB for xfce-dinit and XFCE simply does not work. I believe the issue arises as it starts LightDM itself, once I boot into the USB and the dinit processes start, I am faced with a blank screen and a working mouse.
I enter into another tty as root and kill (and autostart) Xorg, I can login then but again only as root, trying to login as Artix takes me back to the blank screen.

Further, on trying to open casermara.desktop located the user's home it errs complaining about qt plugins. If I simply run 'caserama', the app opens, but it keeps trying to get 1 module but always fails (I am connected to the internet). [Idr caserama spelling]

A few people posted similar issues on these forum pages, but they all seemed to be using Nvidia GRUs that caused the issue, whereas I am running a Intel iGPU, thus no nouveau issues. I created the USB via 'dd' both while setting the 'bs' and without. I've installed Artix on my machine via the base installer a couple times before so I don't think drivers may be an issue. I've even tried using the official March and April builds. I'm quite unsure on how to debug and fix this, any help would be appreciated!

Re: Broken XFCE installer - User account doesn't work correctly

Reply #1
Give the LXQt ISO a try (it uses sddm) to rule out lightdm culpability. If it works, you can even install it and add XFCE after reboot.

Reply #2
if you're trying the weekly (which are untested and auto builds), then also might be worth trying the stable (which are tested). xfce/dinit 20230401 just installed here on an intel and updated without issue.

Reply #3
The LXQt ISO works, LightDM must have been the issue. Thank you!

Re: [WORKAROUND] Broken XFCE installer - User account doesn't work correctly

Reply #4
You may want to install artix-gtk-presets too and copy relevant files from /etc/skel into your home dir.