Skip to main content
Topic: Linux 4.17.1 NSA:Speck module (Read 9465 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Linux 4.17.1 NSA:Speck module

Reply #15
Can you (or someone on the team) confirm that it was disabled?

Code: [Select]
system/linux 4.17.2-1 (base) [installed: 4.16.12-1]
    The Linux kernel and modules
system/linux-headers 4.17.2-1 [installed: 4.16.12-1]
    Header files and scripts for building modules for Linux kernel

I can confirm that the speck module is not configured at all in [system].

https://github.com/artix-linux/packages/blob/master/linux/repos/core-x86_64/config#L9340
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #17
What exactly does "not configured" imply? Can it still be used? Is it still advisable to blacklist it?
Not configured means the code for the speck module won't be compiled at all.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #18
yes, in Artix is disabled : CONFIG_CRYPTO_SPECK=n
in Archlinux is still enabled

Reply #19
I added the following line to /etc/pacman.conf just in case:

Code: [Select]
NoExtract   = usr/lib/modules/*/kernel/crypto/speck.ko.xz

But I can confirm that I don't see any other signs of Simon or Speck other than the header speck.h in /usr/lib/modules/4.17.2-1-ARTIX/build/include/crypto/

I don't see a header for simon at all.
Host: Predator PH517-61 V1.07
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (16) @ 3.2GHz [112.4°F]
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 56/64
Memory: 1129MiB / 64390MiB

Reply #20
The last version of the linux that came into gremlins is labeled 14.7.11-arch1 instead of the usual 14.7.11-arch1-ARTIX

Why is this?

Reply #21
linux-4.17.14-artix1-1-ARTIX

:)

Good one!

Reply #23
SPECK is being dropped out of the mainline kernel in 4.20, from what I read. The Arch kernel maintainer obviously didn't pay much attention at first and included it at first but removed it later.

Reply #24
When I brought it up in the arch forum the moderator said I was a troll and removed the topic.  That doesn't mean the maintainer didn't rethink about it and changed her/his mind.  To be fair, in situations like this, arch being at the cutting edge of development faces such dilemmas and heat.  Debian on the other extreme can wait till the smoke clears and not be pressured to take a responsible position. 
The question remains why did Linus choose to include something that was rejected by iso and was already controversial?  4.17-4.19 still include it.  This has also been a long stretch to a new LTS kernel.  Let's see how that goes.

Reply #25
My first (and only) post there, a tutorial, was instantly deleted without notification or explanation. I inquired and was later told that such tutorial posts are not allowed. Nice place.