Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED} Cryptsetup-dinit and/or dinit-rc prevent autodecryption via crypttab (Read 188 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED} Cryptsetup-dinit and/or dinit-rc prevent autodecryption via crypttab

My setup used to boot without any issue until the latest updates / installs. I believe cryptsetup-dinit / dinit-rc are part of the problem as I have not changed the related configs for a long time!?

I have a logical volume for my home partition that is encrypted.

Code: [Select]
  ├─lvm1-swap   254:0    0    32G  0 lvm   [SWAP]
  ├─lvm1-root   254:1    0   256G  0 lvm   /
  └─lvm1-home   254:2    0 664,9G  0 lvm
    └─crypthome 254:3    0 664,9G  0 crypt /home

The dinit process used to halt (start-timeout = 0) until my volume was decrypted on entering the according password. After that the home partition was mounted (via fstab entries) and the process continued.

After reviewing some of the changes introduced with the updates to dinit-rc and the recent introduction of cryptsetup-init I still could not figure out why the services /etc/dinit.d/cryptsetup and /etc/dinit.d/cryptsetup-early seem to be skipped during startup.
The mountpoint for /home (fstab) fails to mount, as the UUID of the decrypted volume is not available, yet.

I can still decrypt and mount the volume manually, but not during init.

Any help highly appreciated!

Re: Cryptsetup-dinit and/or dinit-rc prevent autodecryption via crypttab

Reply #1
Is the cryptsetup service enabled? (cryptsetup-early will be automatically invoked if cryptsetup is enabled)
now only the dinit guy in artix

Re: Cryptsetup-dinit and/or dinit-rc prevent autodecryption via crypttab

Reply #2
 :-[  duh!
I was totally focused on changed config settings and did not notice that the symlinks under boot.d were missing!

Code: [Select]
dinitctl enable cryptsetup

and all is back to normal.

Thanks for your quick response and sorry for the noise!  ;)