Skip to main content
Topic: Ranting day: I never reached the end of the the installer. (Read 14376 times) previous topic - next topic

Ranting day: I never reached the end of the the installer.

To check out where it stands, I tried the new LXQT ISO (15-10) on a spare laptop (HP spectre) which was working perfectly before with a good old Manjaro OpenRc:
Failed. as the previous ISO.
Then I tried on virtualbox: Failed.
Then I read at this forum, that the I3 ISO works. Downloaded. Tried. Failed.
See the Screen shots.

This distro is a joke. Frankly. Don't you just test the iso before releasing it? really? in 2017?

Why did you guys start by killing Manjaro OpenRC to produce such a  crap?

I am very sad.
I wanted to get back to OpenRC. Not for tomorrow, unless I spend days in fixing stupid config stuff, already solved in Manjaro OpenRC .

Re: Ranting day: I never reached the end of the the installer.

Reply #1
I have made several installations since late July with the old lxqt.iso without installing lxqt.
I also managed to convert my Manja-ORC and it is working well.

One thing that is for sure is that NOBODY has prevented Manjaro for providing a choice of init systems, other than systemd that is.
Nobody asked Manjaro to remove the openrc and eudev related files from its repositories.  This is all Manjaro's decisions, after years of advertising (falsely) that is was a system that had a wide selection of init systems.

Obviously you are just redirecting steam from having a crappy day by being unable to install the system all of us here have.

If you want to give it another shot let us know and we will try to help (I hope I am not offending anyone for speaking as a we, but that is why we are here, to help each other and everyone who honestly wants to try it.  At least that is what is already evident all across this forum).

Reply #2
Try to enable the ISO repositories to use the testing repos before to install it, so before to run calamares just edit your /etc/pacman.conf in the ISO and modify [system], [world] and [galaxy] to [system-testing], [world-testing] and [galaxy-testing]. then run pacman -Syy and then execute calamares with -d option to enable debug output.

Reply #3
Again I have installed Artix numerous times In fact last week I did a install no problems.
I suggest you stop ranting and give your system info etc, that way you get help, Artix gets help, and other users get help, as it is nobody can help you till you decide to help yourself.

Reply #4
Hi,
I am not the only one saying it simply won't install.

Here is a post of a guy reaching the same failure:  https://youtu.be/ggJkhWrzw4c?t=517
Out of the box, it fails.

Even if the manjaro community decided to kill the openRC branch (I think it is the opposite, the ManORC team decided it), I really don't understand why the artix team did not start from this base, in order to provide something working first, then to improve.
Or why not starting by reproducing the gentoo's setup, which is good with openrc.

I will try the  switch to testing someday.
It feels like we jumped 6 years backward.
Because next I am quite sure I would loose days reproducing the config a working Maté desktop in another distro. Or a KDE.
Simple things like: when I insert a HD, I get an icon on the file manager.

Manjaro OpenRC was good.

Reply #5
I suggest you stop ranting and give your system info etc,

Btw, sorry guys, I know it is a lot of work.

But honestly, use what's good from opensource: use other's work. Don't start from scratch in very aspects.

Reply #6
After going through your ridiculous registration process where orange was not accepted as my favourite colour, here I am to share frustration with Nadir and vent my anger as well.
Your installer does not work and its is evidenced in another topic on this forum. You guys keep denying it and suggest that user fixes it by tweaking some config files.

Can you please explain so that we know what the problem is. Why can't you fix installer?
You are just pissing people off with your attitude. People like Nadir and myself, I am sure many others, who want to give Artix a chance and want to use it as an alternative to Manjaro that we lost.

Stop behaving like children and stop waiving that infamous excuse "not for newbies"!

Reply #7
Hi,

Here is a post of a guy reaching the same failure:  https://youtu.be/ggJkhWrzw4c?t=517

Even if the manjaro community decided to kill the openRC branch (I think it is the opposite, the ManORC team decided it), I really don't understand why the artix team did not start from this base, in order to provide something working first, then to improve.
Or why not starting by reproducing the gentoo's setup, which is good with openrc.

Because next I am quite sure I would loose days reproducing the config a working Maté desktop in another distro. Or a KDE.

Manjaro OpenRC was good.

Apparently, the manjaro version used the exact same freaking installer, and manjaro openrc is history.

The installer works, new iso is out, tested whatnot.

Reply #8
After going through your ridiculous registration process where orange was not accepted as my favourite colour, here I am to share frustration with Nadir and vent my anger as well.
Your installer does not work and its is evidenced in another topic on this forum. You guys keep denying it and suggest that user fixes it by tweaking some config files.

Can you please explain so that we know what the problem is. Why can't you fix installer?
You are just pissing people off with your attitude. People like Nadir and myself, I am sure many others, who want to give Artix a chance and want to use it as an alternative to Manjaro that we lost.

Stop behaving like children and stop waiving that infamous excuse "not for newbies"!

Then why does it work for the rest what do they know you don't 5 installs it works fine I'm nothing to do with artix or Manjaro
 I'm a Arch user nothing more.
 Have any of you given any system details are you all the same person I'm starting to wonder as the tone fits a one person profile? If it did not work I would be the 1st to say so as the devs know me here.
It does work for me and as artoo stated its the same installer as he developed for Manjaro so where is the problem if there is give details because all I read Is arrogance nothing more.
 If your beef is Manjaro dropped openrc take it up with Philm the lead Manjaro dev he dropped openRC these guys picked up the pieces and have carried on the exellent work, only to get is childish arrogance. Instead of constructive criticism. or any form of system information from you.
Or better still put your money where your mouth is and start your own project and find out how much work goes into it in your own time.
Just to get tossers complain and be rude to you  you try it and see how long you last.
Now just have a think come back give information as much as possible, and you will get answers and help till then I suggest you button it
Yes I can't spell and all that Crap Its called Dyslexic but I can code install any Linux even install a bucket of shit and it will work?.

Reply #9
It's still possible to view the list of packages that made up the Manjaro Open RC iso's, e.g. here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjaro-openrc/files/17.0.2/
Most of these are available in the recommended repos, so a little careful thought about this and pacman -Q should recreate something pretty much the same. I think it's interesting to see the start of a new distro, let them have a bit of time to sort things out. All distros have bugs and issues, even Manjaro Open RC had them too sometimes.  :))

Reply #10
Then why does it work for the rest what do they know you don't 5 installs it works fine I'm nothing to do with artix or Manjaro
 I'm a Arch user nothing more.
 Have any of you given any system details are you all the same person I'm starting to wonder as the tone fits a one person profile? If it did not work I would be the 1st to say so as the devs know me here.
It does work for me and as artoo stated its the same installer as he developed for Manjaro so where is the problem if there is give details because all I read Is arrogance nothing more.
 If your beef is Manjaro dropped openrc take it up with Philm the lead Manjaro dev he dropped openRC these guys picked up the pieces and have carried on the exellent work, only to get is childish arrogance. Instead of constructive criticism. or any form of system information from you.
Or better still put your money where your mouth is and start your own project and find out how much work goes into it in your own time.
Just to get tossers complain and be rude to you  you try it and see how long you last.
Now just have a think come back give information as much as possible, and you will get answers and help till then I suggest you button it
Yes I can't spell and all that Crap Its called Dyslexic but I can code install any Linux even install a bucket of shit and it will work?.
Look who is talking arrogance. It's sounds to me you are arrogant.
I have installed almost every distro that uses "same freaking installer" and none of them ever failed to install. Only this one. Artix.
Just tried new iso at work today, and now at home. Failed on both machines with same freaking machineid error. And you want to know my configuration? It's not on one single machine obviously, since others reported the issue, including the guy on above Youtube link.
You know, if I didn't want to use Artix, why would I go through this frustration? I could just walk away and forget about it. If you and Artoo keep saying there is nothing wrong and flatly deny there is a problem, then you *want* me, and others, to walk away.

Reply #11
Hi,

Manjaro OpenRC was good.

And who developed Manjaro openrc, and what did he base it on Gentoo  it was artoo yes the same man he also developed the net installer the same one used by Manjaro, you will not get a more committed person so show some respect.

Reply #12
Look who is talking arrogance. It's sounds to me you are arrogant.
I have installed almost every distro that uses "same freaking installer" and none of them ever failed to install. Only this one. Artix.
Just tried new iso at work today, and now at home. Failed on both machines with same freaking machineid error. And you want to know my configuration? It's not on one single machine obviously, since others reported the issue, including the guy on above Youtube link.
You know, if I didn't want to use Artix, why would I go through this frustration? I could just walk away and forget about it. If you and Artoo keep saying there is nothing wrong and flatly deny there is a problem, then you *want* me, and others, to walk away.

A bit of advice Go to sourceforge archbang downloads download the archbang artix ISO with the AB installer I helped to develop it a couple of years ago for architect linux,  its not a net install and you need to remove Arch core repro when you update.
This may help you as you are above asking for help in a human way.
No I'm not in anyway arrogant as I know the correct way to ask for help that means in a polite manner that you cannot comprehend.
Why would I say I did 5 successful installs if it was not true or am I a liar as well.
 Again information is the key that is the 1st thing Manjaro asks for as does any other distro. logs are what you need to post.
So how many other distros use Calamares net-installer  to install openrc only Manjaro did and the same guy developed the net installer you say is crap so it must of been the same with Manjaro nothing has changed

Reply #13
A bit of advice Go to sourceforge archbang downloads download the archbang artix ISO with the AB installer I helped to develop it a couple of years ago for architect linux,  its not a net install and you need to remove Arch core repro when you update.
This may help you as you are above asking for help in a human way.
No I'm not in anyway arrogant as I know the correct way to ask for help that means in a polite manner that you cannot comprehend.
Why would I say I did 5 successful installs if it was not true or am I a liar as well.
 Again information is the key that is the 1st thing Manjaro asks for as does any other distro. logs are what you need to post.
So how many other distros use Calamares net-installer  to install openrc only Manjaro did and the same guy developed the net installer you say is crap so it must of been the same with Manjaro nothing has changed

Thanks for trying to help me get to Artix. So lets's say Archbang installer gets me there. What does that tell us? It tells us that there is something wrong with Artix net installer.
Like I said, I installed many distros using "same freking installer" and cli installers with no issues. It is only Artix that I cannot install.
You suggestion may help me get to Artix, but it does not solve the installer issue which you obviously deny it exists.
Thanks anyway

Reply #14
Thanks for trying to help me get to Artix. So lets's say Archbang installer gets me there. What does that tell us? It tells us that there is something wrong with Artix net installer.
Like I said, I installed many distros using "same freking installer" and cli installers with no issues. It is only Artix that I cannot install.
You suggestion may help me get to Artix, but it does not solve the installer issue which you obviously deny it exists.
Thanks anyway
No its not going to solve any problem that was not the point its to try and help you that is all.
All the AB installer will prove is you have a problem with install nothing more as i have not that is the problem.
when the net is fast enough again I will try the latest version of the ISO, all I know is the i3 version works fine for me that is more than the calamares manjaro installer ever did.
But if this was my project I would use a text installer I really do not like GUI installers just find them non friendly but that is me.
 you can also use the arch installer the are instructions somewhere on how to use it
I also apologise if I sounded hard on you