Skip to main content
Topic: What to choose? (Read 3592 times) previous topic - next topic

What to choose?

Hello.
I am new and complete noob about Artix.
Only one question:
- What init system to choose/download for my first installation (Cinnamon)?
I am not a required user. . .

TNX

Re: What to choose?

Reply #1
Hello and welcome !

I came from Systemd and chose OpenRC.

In my humble opinion, OpenRC is the most "just works" of the proposed init.

I have it on five different PCs and haven't had any issues with openrc for two years.

Runit, S6 etc. perform very well, but sometimes need some adjustment, from what I've read about them.

Reply #2
Each init has its strengths and weaknesses.

runit pros: simplest, uses very little RAM.
runit cons: no true dependency tree, not many extra bells and whistles, no longer developed upstream.

s6 pros: fastest to boot, full featured, a good contender to replace systemd completely.
s6 cons: more complex, bigger learning curve.

openrc pros: balanaced, lightweight, and optional service supervision, adopted in many distros so has a lot of support.
openrc cons: not the fastest, but still faster than systemd.

I can't speak much for dinit and suite66 since I have not really played around with them yet.

I personally use and recommend OpenRC. It has the most documentation and support because of its wide usage in many distros, especially gentoo. So finding OpenRC scripts, guides, and info is much easier than the rest.
Chris Cromer

Reply #3
@OP: There was a similar topic to this one not that long ago.

All init systems supported by Artix work. They are all automatically better than systemd because they focus on doing the init system's job instead of aiming to do everything and failing. Booting speed is better than systemd, since the init systems supported by Artix follow the Unix tradition of "doing one thing, doing it well, and working with other programs", but it is also irrelevant since Unix-like systems aren't designed to be rebooted often (they are/should be robust like that). Of course, systemd breaks with this tradition too.

My advice is to pick one init system, stick with it and learn it well. Learn at least the essential: how the services are managed, and later you might even consider learning how they are internally organized and created.

Reply #4
Recommend OpenRC, too. It's stable and well documented. Easy for new users migrated from systemd.

s6 and 66 may have more features, but the learning curve is a little steep. Artix dev team has done a very good job translating/simplifying the original documents into Artix wiki pages. It took me some time to read through documents on skarnet and obarun websites. Have to see it's not easy to follow. :)

Reply #5
Welcome @neogeo
I am sure you will enjoy.
I am relatively new and I had the same question. After reading as much as I can on the wiki and on this forum I chose OpenRC
Everything is working better than expected.

Enjoy!
System:  Kernel: 6.4.10-artix1-1 , KDE Plasma 5.27.7, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Dual Core  i7-8550U bits: 64
8 GB Ram - SSD:  (250 GiB), BTRFS

Reply #6
TNX to all :)
I will try OpenRC  and post my satisfactions with Artix Cinnamon (now i am using Manjaro Cinnamon).

TNX again!

Reply #7
Hmm. Strange thing happening.
I have downloaded 2 Cinnamon ISO files and tried to make bootable USB with Balena Etcher but both ISOs mark me an error at the end of USB making so i can't install Artix Cinnamon (can't properly load bootable ISO (checked ISO CRC was always good).

This is my SIG check for both files:
[ng@ng-LinuxPC Downloads]$ gpg --auto-key-retrieve --verify artix-cinnamon-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso.sig artix-cinnamon-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso
gpg: Signature made sreda, 28. jul 2021. 10:22:09 CEST
gpg:                using RSA key A574A1915CEDE31A3BFF5A68606520ACB886B428
gpg: /home/ng/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 606520ACB886B428: public key "Christos Nouskas <[email protected]>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
gpg: Good signature from "Christos Nouskas <[email protected]>" [unknown]
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: A574 A191 5CED E31A 3BFF  5A68 6065 20AC B886 B428
Please any advise how to make bootable ISO (with Balena or a Rufus or a something else, formated as GPT or a MBR...)

TNX 

Reply #8
.../.... Please any advise how to make bootable ISO (with Balena or a Rufus or a something else, formated as GPT or a MBR...)
An alternative solution is to use dd:
Code: [Select]
# dd bs=4M if=path/to/artix-version-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdx conv=fsync oflag=direct status=progress
Tip: Find out the name of your USB drive with lsblk. Make sure that it is not mounted.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/USB_flash_installation_medium#Using_basic_command_line_utilities

Reply #10
Hmm. Strange thing happening.
I have downloaded 2 Cinnamon ISO files and tried to make bootable USB with Balena Etcher but both ISOs mark me an error at the end of USB making so i can't install Artix Cinnamon (can't properly load bootable ISO (checked ISO CRC was always good).

I got the same error. Your USB-drive will boot just fine and also the installation should work without any issues.

@strajder I usually use dd for flashing my USB-drives but sometimes it won't work (cannot boot the flashdrive) so Balena Etcher is a convenient solution but I really didn't know that it includes such behavior without consent of the user. Thanks for the info!
Do you have any viable alternatives if dd does not work as intended? Unetbootin sometimes does not work either...

Reply #11
Do you have any viable alternatives if dd does not work as intended? Unetbootin sometimes does not work either...

Code: [Select]
yay -Ss  imagewriter
aur/isoimagewriter-git 0.8.r21.g081a939-1 (+2 0.00)
    Tool to write a .iso file to a USB disk
aur/imagewriter-git 20201109-1 (+11 0.00)
    A graphical utility for writing raw disk images & hybrid ISOs to USB keys. QT5 GIT release.
aur/isoimagewriter 0.8-1 (+14 0.18)
    Tool to write a .iso file to a USB disk
aur/imagewriter 1.10.1432200249.1d253d9.2.9-1 (+187 0.61) (Obsolète : 2022-01-07) (Installé)
    A graphical utility for writing raw disk images & hybrid isos to USB keys

Reply #12
@strajder I usually use dd for flashing my USB-drives but sometimes it won't work (cannot boot the flashdrive) so Balena Etcher is a convenient solution but I really didn't know that it includes such behavior without consent of the user. Thanks for the info!
Unetbootin is also listed on that Arch wiki page as an "inadvisable method" to create a live medium.

Just take the time to read that whole page, it lists multiple possible solutions. In general, if cp or dd don't work, other programs won't either, as the medium or ISO itself are likely faulty.

Reply #13
Hello, a good alternative for creating live USB installers is 'bootiso' from the AUR, it's a very user-friendly command line program that just works, its man page contains usage examples for exactly what you're trying to do.
Since you say you're a noob i will warn you that the AUR is a software repository that anyone can upload programs to, it functions without supervision from devs or package mantainers, aside from report-driven moderation.
Make sure you're okay with the actions that each package contains, such as downloading sources or binaries (where is it getting them from?), executing scripts (it's asking for root privileges, so what's it doing?), placing files and executables (desktop files, man pages, what and where to?)

Reply #14
OK. I will try some of the described methods later today and publish the results after that.
I have try to boot installation with error copied ISO and the boot was successful but whatever icon i click from the desktop or other nothing happened. No any reaction :(