Skip to main content
Topic: XFCE freshly installed from weekly ISO freezes (Read 1516 times) previous topic - next topic

XFCE freshly installed from weekly ISO freezes

i have installed artix XFCE on 1st of december using weekly image artix-xfce-openrc-20221121-x86_64.iso and after booting first time i have had a freezing of the system after some fifteen minutes. i was setting up power manager and screensaver at the moment.
there was only cursor reacting and moving but windows were unresponsive to my laptop`s touchpad clicking and keyboard was nor working too. i could not get to command line with Ctrl - Alt - F1 and powered off my machine holding 'power' button.

this issue was occuring every time i booted into this system but after different period of work with the laptop. the longest time was something like fourty minutes. it was mostly occuring after some workload or an error --when i have used an ungoogled-chromium [uninstalled later basing on a suspicion] or when i was tryingto call 'falcon' instead of falkon from xfce4-panel`s exo-open or xfce4-dict [was proved to crash the system].
the machine gets overheated before the system freezes and to add some details on XFCE`s weird behavior i need to tell there is some popup dialog/info appearing just after logging in but it is not drawn with any content and it exists for a fraction of a second.

then i have installed picom suspecting xfwm but to get it working i needed to switch to console with Ctrl -Alt -F1 and back and then it was loading with significant lagging and had misplaced firefox`s window so i could not move it [...i do not know its shortcuts].

so i have abandoned that idea and installed openbox which worked immediately except touchpad`s left button and ability to adjust pointer speed or to set 'tap to click' [i used XFCE`s dialog, visually it worked but no changes were made].
and i have not encountered freezing in openbox until i have started xfdesktop in it.
so i guess it is some XFCE`s stuff that is broken.

p.s.: very strange detail --calling [openbox`s, not XFCE`s] 'Log Out' from openbox is working as expected but calling 'Reboot' or 'Shutdown' fails with a complaint about 'some missing systemd`s stuff'!!!
isn`t it an artix package? i have elogind and artix-archlinux-support installed ...what`s happening inside The Box?!!

p.p.s.: after wasting whole this day to get XFCE working i am goint to give up on it... i am learning C so i want DE/WM made on it...
but i do not know anything would be the same quick and visually appealing to me [Plasma is made on C++ so i exclude it from my list].
maybe i should use base installation image and to install DE/WM manually?

[written from my newer another machine using Plasma DE]
shean shi eth Ynnwn. Aisha

Re: XFCE freshly installed from weekly ISO freezes

Reply #2
Have you taken a look at dmesg and syslog logs?

Reply #3
# i have a recommendation!!
   use base installer.
   since you know C, start using suckless's program.

# now to answer your problems
   * as you suspected "systemctl" is systemd component and the equvelent package in our world is loginctl. i don't how but you need to change busybox to use loginctl command to use these system calls. for shutdown you need to use
Code: [Select]
loginctl poweroff -i
   * i don't see any major problem with dmesg.
   * it seems your installation didn't configured pulseudio correctly. do you have sound?
   * about your lightdm problem, first check the lightdm wiki. i highly guess you face the hang problem because of deamon not being configured correctly check Unresponsive for a few minutes after startup

Reply #4
sorry i have attached the logs are not from crashed session but i have an excuse --that my machine cannot boot live image from a USB stick [probably because of incompatible BIOS, and i use Ventoy for managing my installation medium] --only DVD is available but it takes SO LONG TO BOOT from that drive [SATA II] and i was literally exhausted after several  hours of sitting in front of constantly crashing baby so ...i would post more relevant logs just after getting closer to that bug again!
but here is what i have found reading the logs while using my older affected machine [i still have relevant logs backed up on her drive but they are annoyingly messy because of multiple crashes and logouts and reboots --i cannot get through a timeline] AND it is repeated in logs attached in original post that i am citing below the link.
i know that is a link to an older bug but there are very tale-telling log messages posted which are just like ones i have gotten in my kernel.log: 'Kernel & Hardware » "system freeze after upgrade to linux 4.16.3-1"'
Dec  3 06:23:42 amelanchier kernel: perf: interrupt took too long (2502 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 79000
Dec  3 06:24:59 amelanchier kernel: perf: interrupt took too long (3131 > 3127), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 63000
Dec  3 06:28:03 amelanchier kernel: perf: interrupt took too long (3926 > 3913), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 50000
[...]
Dec  3 06:39:56 amelanchier kernel: perf: interrupt took too long (2514 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 79000
Dec  3 06:41:02 amelanchier kernel: perf: interrupt took too long (3145 > 3142), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 63000
Dec  3 06:43:30 amelanchier kernel: perf: interrupt took too long (3936 > 3931), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 50000
Dec  3 06:44:23 amelanchier kernel: nouveau 0000:02:00.0: therm: temperature (90 C) hit the 'fanboost' threshold
Dec  3 06:45:25 amelanchier kernel: nouveau 0000:02:00.0: therm: temperature (86 C) went below the 'fanboost' threshold
Dec  3 06:48:08 amelanchier kernel: perf: interrupt took too long (4936 > 4920), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 40000
Dec  3 06:55:22 amelanchier kernel: nouveau 0000:02:00.0: therm: temperature (90 C) hit the 'fanboost' threshold
it has happened during and in mere minutes after the booting into system. also that thread mentions that similar issue as one 'affecting laptops at higher load but not desktop computers or servers' and my one freezes after errors in DE or when load exceeds some threshold after a period of rutine work [oftenly when the load changes between high and low].

BUT i have significant difference --this current bug affects my system WITH BOTH KERNELS i do use --most recent stock kernel from artix and linux-rt [from some arch repository i guess, correct me if i`m wrong] --linux-rt is slightly below stock [arch/artix] kernel as i read at Ingo Molnar`s site.
and again --i have not encountered those freezes with pure openbox [not using xfdesktop]!!! is it because The Box is a lighter load? i don`t think so...

ANSWERING TO YOUR QUESTIONS [as much as i can do now being away from affected machine]:

to Lancia
Have you taken a look at dmesg and syslog logs?
syslog is filled with a few of such messages [so i have  not attached it to OP]; dmesg  is attached to original post [sorry for irrelevant 'fresh' one again] and you may read my excerpts below in an answer to Suren.
Dec  3 06:37:22 amelanchier syslog-ng[1991]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.38.1'

to Suren
A.
[...]
   * as you suspected "systemctl" is systemd component and the equvelent package in our world is loginctl. i don't how but you need to change busybox to use loginctl command to use these system calls. for shutdown you need to use
loginctl poweroff -i
[...]
oh yes thank you --i just have learned how to edit openbox`s XML menu files [from Arch wiki and some practice] so i can try substituting the command from menu with one you have posted
loginctl poweroff -i
by the way i am using OpenRC --is it relevant to loginctl command? i have no idea about busybox   :-* but  :-[ in XCFE+xfwm [vs XFCE+openbox] i can use 'LogOut' or 'Reboot' or 'ShutDown' without any issues --and as i know from error messages [i tried xfdesktop`s menus in openbox] those commands use Dbus but by some strange reason openbox`s set of them calls to systemd`s components --only its own 'LogOut' is functioning properly.

B.
[...]
   * i don't see any major problem with dmesg.
[...]
you may want checking my dmesg excerpts here people; i am not really familiar with kernel`s internals yet so i am posting 'weird stuff' blindly

is itOK?
[    0.090611] Unknown kernel command line parameters "BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux-rt", will be passed to user space.

is it OK?
[    0.725281] pnp: PnP ACPI init
[    0.728686] pnp 00:02: disabling [mem 0x000d0000-0x000d3fff window] because it overlaps 0000:02:00.0 BAR 6 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff]
[    0.728701] pnp 00:02: disabling [mem 0x000d4000-0x000d7fff window] because it overlaps 0000:02:00.0 BAR 6 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff]
[    0.728707] pnp 00:02: disabling [mem 0x000de000-0x000dffff window] because it overlaps 0000:02:00.0 BAR 6 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff]

is it OK?
[    2.772370] clocksource: timekeeping watchdog on CPU0: Marking clocksource 'tsc' as unstable because the skew is too large:
[    2.772379] clocksource:                       'hpet' wd_nsec: 506010840 wd_now: 3d6d977 wd_last: 315d258 mask: ffffffff
[    2.772384] clocksource:                       'tsc' cs_nsec: 504038931 cs_now: 5ed820dd7 cs_last: 5ae7e3581 mask: ffffffffffffffff
[    2.772388] clocksource:                       'tsc' is current clocksource.
[    2.772395] tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to clocksource watchdog
[    2.772405] TSC found unstable after boot, most likely due to broken BIOS. Use 'tsc=unstable'.
[    2.772407] sched_clock: Marking unstable (2771611029, 793634)<-(2834207939, -61803013)
[    2.772739] clocksource: Checking clocksource tsc synchronization from CPU 1 to CPUs 0.
[    2.772854] clocksource: Switched to clocksource hpet

is it OK?
[    6.432398] ACPI Warning: SystemIO range 0x0000000000004E00-0x0000000000004E3F conflicts with OpRegion 0x0000000000004E00-0x0000000000004E3F (\_SB.PCI0.SM00) (20220331/utaddress-204)
[    6.432406] ACPI: OSL: Resource conflict; ACPI support missing from driver?

C.
[...]
   * it seems your installation didn't configured pulseudio correctly. do you have sound?
[...]
i have not listened any music with that laptop [XFCE is silent by default unlike Plasma] since i have installed that weelky image three days ago and i was worrying about that and then i have seen those error messages
Dec  3 06:50:19 amelanchier pulseaudio[3518]: [pulseaudio] x11wrap.c: X11 I/O error handler called
Dec  3 06:50:19 amelanchier pulseaudio[3518]: [pulseaudio] x11wrap.c: X11 I/O error exit handler called, preparing to tear down X11 modules
Dec  3 06:50:19 amelanchier pulseaudio[3518]: [pulseaudio] stdin-util.c: Lost I/O connection in module "module-gsettings"
Dec  3 06:50:20 amelanchier pulseaudio[3518]: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory (/run/user/1000/pulse): No such file or directory
and oh yeah i INDEED have a sound --just before leaving the system yesterday ['normally-complicated' shutdown procedure of 'openbox =>  log out => display manager => shutdown'] after copying 'overly-fresh' logs to my tablet [sorry again]  :'( i have visited youtube`s home page and listened to beginning of 'Rain Noise And Black Screen Sleeping Aid' video using my laptop`s on-board sound system.
firefox INDEED wants pulseaudio so my suspicions were proven wrong or at least irrelevant.

D.
[...]
   * about your lightdm problem, first check the lightdm wiki. i highly guess you face the hang problem because of deamon not being configured correctly check Unresponsive for a few minutes after startup
you are wrong with this point. i have visited Arch wiki and there is nothing but a link [reposting it here again: Login screen not showing till you hold any key] and original poster describes it as such:
After the latest update the login screen no longer shows in LightDM 1.26.0 [...] It simply doesn’t pass the latest screen, although the computer is still responsive to the shutdown button and holding any key brings up the login screen.
but during the freeze MY BABY has only mouse pointer USABLE aside from 'Shutdown' button!!! so i cannot get to display manager!..
also
No error messages are printed, only the usual stuff when booting up.
but i INDEED SEE some popup window without any content that is killed in less than a second immediately after a login to XFCE+xfwm!!!
i appears at screen`s center at first login [i have no chooser at first login] and then at the top left corner after logging and back.
there is no such popup 'ghost' in XFCE+openbox.
FUTHERMORE i can use display manager BEFORE THE FREEZE OCCURED!

to Tintin
Hello,

What gives:
lsblk -f

And :
free
oh please wait a little i`m very busy and away from affected system/machine so i would reply with RELEVANT logs [dmesg, errors etc] and would provide you with the output of those command you asked for.

p.s.: maybe you may suggest some more checks? any logs or commands` output? i would be happy to dive deeper in knowledge of linux`s internals and to learn some practical stuff...
oh God i would be happy even bisecting a bug ...just to learn more.

p.p.s.: to Suren
@yourRecommendation
i do disagree with maintainers of DWM on ideological basis; one of the main reasons is posted below:
'"Stuff that sucks"
These libraries are broken/considered harmful and should not be used if it's possible to avoid them[...]
glib - implements C++ STL on top of C (because C++ sucks so much, let's reinvent it!), adding lots of useless data types for "portability" and "readability" reasons. even worse, it is not possible to write robust applications using glib, since it aborts in out-of-memory situations. glib usage is required to write gtk+ and gnome applications, but is also used when common functionality is needed (e.g. hashlists, base64 decoder, etc). it is not suited at all for static linking due to its huge size and the authors explicitly state that "static linking is not supported"'.

A.
...since it aborts in out-of-memory situations
bugdal 2012-04-20 02:38:26 UTC
Since all of glib uses g_malloc for allocation, and since all libraries that use glib (including gtk) must directly or indirectly call g_malloc, it is completely impossible to write a safe, robust application using glib or any such library dependent on glib[...]

Matthias Clasen 2012-04-20 02:40:46 UTC
You can use g_try_malloc if you want to handle out-of-memory situations.
GLib and GTK+ do not want to handle those.

bugdal 2012-04-20 02:52:27 UTC
Then that's a major bug. It means it's impossible to write a safe program using glib/gtk. Any moment the library could crash your program and cause it to lose all its data[...]

Allison Karlitskaya (desrt) 2012-04-20 18:38:18 UTC
Handling NULL returns from malloc() will in no way protect you from out-of-memory situations[...]
conclusion: maybe one needs to learn programming better?

B.
...explicitly state that "static linking is not supported"
Matthias Clasen 2016-06-30 13:51:29 UTC
[...]
This defeats the entire purpose of moving quark initialization to a constructor. We do that precisely so we *don't* have to have this extra branch in every quark lookup
conclusion: all shortcomings here come with C++ usage and i do not like C++.

and furthermore GLib`s FAQ states following:
In glibc 2.27, released in 2018, support for statically linked programs that call dlopen was deprecated. The intent was to simplify support for statically linked programs and avoid the problematic use cases that users created by mixing the two linkage models. Users should either link statically or dynamically, picking the model that best meets their needs while avoiding a hybrid mix of the two.
'Users should either link statically or dynamically' --so it is possible to link statically! but DWM folks tell it is NOT!!! do you believe them after that?

Reply #5
>AND it is repeated in logs attached in original post that i am citing below the link.

I apologize for that, might have gone a little too far with ublock origin element blocking and I couldn't see the attached files.

Reply #6
# first question
... i needed to switch to console with Ctrl -Alt -F1
i think you wrote you have keyboard control in an already open terminal emulator while the WM is unresponsive.
wait can you switch to other ttys by "Ctrl-Alt-F2" or "Ctrl-Alt-F3"
if you can't switch tty with these key, maybe run ssh from another system to this. then check the "potree" output or "top".

# second question
is you system under such a heavy load that it heat up to 90 C.
or is it just how you fan works (line 458 and 488 of everything-log.txt)

# answer to
Quote from: Sov Thade Tage em Ereb
you may want checking my dmesg excerpts here people; i am not really familiar with kernel`s internals yet so i am posting 'weird stuff' blindly
i won't call any of those warnings ok but none of them are critical to my knowledge (you can and need to fix some of them later)

# in response to
Quote from: Soy Thade Tage em Ereb
i do disagree with maintainers of DWM on ideological basis
In this manner I'm more(not totally) on suckless.org developers side. I personally don't like many thing that came with gnu. but i use it and i respect it. (for now)

Reply #7
# first question
i think you wrote you have keyboard control in an already open terminal emulator while the WM is unresponsive.
wait can you switch to other ttys by "Ctrl-Alt-F2" or "Ctrl-Alt-F3"
if you can't switch tty with these key, maybe run ssh from another system to this. then check the "potree" output or "top".

oh no no Suren --my superfluous manner has confounded you --there was different situation at that moment you have cited from my post.
there were two distinctive moments in switching to console [tty] --from XFCE+xfwm and from XFCE+picom:

a. i was not able to switch with Ctrl-Alt-F1 during the freezing of XFCE+xfwm [cursor is movable, all windows are dead even task manager`s graphs are not updating; shutting down by holding physical 'Power' button];

b. I WAS ABLE TO SWITCH to console [tty] with anything of Ctrl-Alt-F1...F3...etc and back to DE with Ctrl-Alt-F7 while using XFCE+picom BUT IT WAS LAGGING terribly even though i have Samsung 860 PRO SSD as a drive, it seemed to load some libraries gradually one by one and AFTER LONG MINUTES i was able to run firefox but i have left frustrated by an inability to adjust window`s position [i don`t know picom`s shortcuts, there was no window decoration]

in short:
XFCE+xfwm does freeze and XFCE+openbox does not [and i had had not enough time spent in XFCE+picom to gather data]

Update0[a]: XFCE freshly installed from weekly ISO freezes

Reply #8
i was running that system again tonight.
i am going to bed right now so i would omit most of the details.

A. i have booted into XFCE => IT HAS FROZEN IMMEDIATELY;

B. i have rebooted and after getting into XFCE i have logged out and logged into openbox; then i have tried to view sensors` data using xfce4-sensors => openbox HAS FROZEN IMMEDIATELY;

C. i have rebooted and switched from XFCE into openbox again and opened xfce4-terminal with 'sudo top' > then firefox with 'Strong Thunder and Rain Sounds --Black Screen Sleeping Aid' video @youtube.com > then thunar > then geany > then thunar as a root > then geany as a root > then falkon after half of an hour => and openbox WAS STILL HEALTHY AND RUNNING;

D.i have tried to fix mistaken clock [using info from arch & gentoo wiki] but even after starting ntpd the clock was not fixed [i have not gone into depth of tutorials then]; and i have deleted cmst~~blah~~.desktop file from because in logs were error messages related to its absence --it is a QT UI interface for connman but i have gtk version instead, naturally [IS IT SIGNIFICANT ISSUE?];

E. i have checked output of commands asked by Tintin
amelanchier:[irulan-corrino]:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for irulan-corrino:
amelanchier:[root]:/home/irulan-corrino# lsblk -f
NAME   FSTYPE FSVER LABEL       UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda                                                                                
├─sda1 xfs          amelanchier 2259545e-95e4-4a13-b93c-97373f520117  209.7G     5% /
└─sda2 swap   1                 be93705d-1b2f-4b39-a2a8-5ff6abd0c051               
sr0                                                                                
amelanchier:[root]:/home/irulan-corrino# free
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         4016004      401932     3337628        4596      276444     3552484
Swap:              0           0           0
amelanchier:[root]:/home/irulan-corrino#

F. i have copied old messy logs from that day i was shutting down logging in and out multiple times and when system experienced several freezes;

G. then i have started three xfce4-terminals with following stuff --xfce4-panel xfce4-sensors and xfdesktop --redirecting their output into text files;
(xfce4-sensors:5721): Gtk-WARNING **: 05:55:50.774: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars
Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

(xfce4-sensors:5909): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:01:26.940: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars

(xfdesktop-settings:5921): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:01:48.949: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars

(xfdesktop-settings:5921): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:01:48.950: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars

(xfce4-screensaver-preferences:5969): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:03:36.996: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars

(xfce4-screensaver-preferences:5969): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:03:36.997: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars

(xfce4-screensaver-preferences:5969): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:03:36.998: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars

(xfce4-screensaver-preferences:5969): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:03:36.998: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars

(xfce4-screensaver-preferences:5969): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 06:03:42.532: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

and starting xfce4-panel i have started xfce4-dict from it with misleading 'Default Browser' in 'XFCE settings ['falcon' instead of 'falkon' --proven to freeze xfwm in this my system] => i have two panels in XFCE --left.vert. & bottom.horiz. --latter one was starting xfce4-dict with that error > IT HAS CRASHED BUT OPENBOX HAS NOT!!! output is posted here
xfce4-panel: Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

** (wrapper-2.0:6332): WARNING **: 06:14:41.931: No outputs have backlight property

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:41.999: Calling CanShutdown failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.005: Calling CanRestart failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.018: Calling CanSuspend failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.021: Calling CanHibernate failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.023: Calling CanHybridSleep failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6331): libnotify-WARNING **: 06:14:42.041: Failed to connect to proxy

(wrapper-2.0:6333): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:14:42.668: Negative content height -4 (allocation 1, extents 2x3) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkToggleButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6331): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:14:42.682: Negative content height -4 (allocation 1, extents 2x3) while allocating gadget (node button, owner PulseaudioButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6344): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:14:42.802: Negative content height -2 (allocation 1, extents 1x2) while allocating gadget (node button, owner XfceArrowButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.810: Calling CanShutdown failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.811: Calling CanRestart failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.812: Calling CanSuspend failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.815: Calling CanHibernate failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:14:42.817: Calling CanHybridSleep failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6326): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:14:43.673: Negative content height -4 (allocation 1, extents 2x3) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkToggleButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6332): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:14:43.936: Negative content height -3 (allocation 1, extents 2x2) while allocating gadget (node button, owner PowerManagerButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6347): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:14:43.964: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6348): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:14:44.005: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6329): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:14:44.153: Negative content height -4 (allocation 1, extents 2x3) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkToggleButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6353): Gtk-WARNING **: 06:15:15.323: Content added to the action area of a dialog using header bars

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:18:21.462: Calling CanShutdown failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:18:21.464: Calling CanRestart failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:18:21.465: Calling CanSuspend failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:18:21.467: Calling CanHibernate failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6344): libactions-WARNING **: 06:18:21.469: Calling CanHybridSleep failed GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(wrapper-2.0:6348): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 06:18:37.851: gtk_main_quit: assertion 'main_loops != NULL' failed

(wrapper-2.0:6348): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 06:18:37.855: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

H. i have copied redirected output of XFCE components run in terminal and have gone sleeping. after more than HOUR AND HALF openbox has not crashed.

note: number of logs hits the limit on attachements --see the next post for more

Update0[b]: XFCE freshly installed from weekly ISO freezes

Reply #9
a remainder of old messy logs and session logs created tonight.

p.s.: IS IT SIGNIFICANT?
(xfce4-session:2512): xfce4-session-WARNING **: 06:52:00.615: Unable to launch "cmst -w5" (specified by autostart/cmst-autostart.desktop): Failed to execute child process “cmst” (No such file or directory)
i have deleted it [.desktop] and openbox has not crashed when i have crashed xfce4-panel invoking xfce4-dict with erroneous browser name in settings.

Re[giving_up]: XFCE freshly installed from weekly ISO freezes

Reply #10
i have updated this system with 'pacman -Syu' and it crashes still ...i am giving up and would use artix base image for an installation.

EDIT [from xfce.org release roadmap --4.18 pre2]:
Release TODO List
  • [ ] Final Release
    • [...]
    • [...]
  • [ ] Check as well all Xfce apps, panel plugins and thunar plugin if it makes sense to release some of them
    • [ ] taskman - (removed GtkHeaderBar)
    • [ ] ristretto - (Can use X-large thumbnails after 4.18) - Gael plans to release it
    • [ ] xfce4-notifyd (fix for crash pending)
    • [ ] ?
    • [ ] Celebrate
IS THAT A CAUSE: '[ ] xfce4-notifyd (fix for crash pending)'?

Reply #11
amelanchier:[irulan-corrino]:~$ ps ax | grep notify; date
11704 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --colour=auto notify
Sun Dec 11 08:09:47 PM MSK 2022
amelanchier:[irulan-corrino]:~$ rc-service xfce4-notifyd start
 * rc-service: service 'xfce4-notifyd' does not exist
amelanchier:[irulan-corrino]:~$ sudo rc-service xfce4-notifyd start
[sudo] password for irulan-corrino:
 * rc-service: service 'xfce4-notifyd' does not exist
amelanchier:[irulan-corrino]:~$ sudo su
amelanchier:[root]:/home/irulan-corrino# rc-update show -v
                acpid |      default                          
               agetty |                                       
          agetty.tty1 |      default                          
          agetty.tty2 |      default                          
          agetty.tty3 |      default                          
          agetty.tty4 |      default                          
          agetty.tty5 |      default                          
          agetty.tty6 |      default                          
            alsasound |                                       
         avahi-daemon |                                       
       avahi-dnsconfd |                                       
               binfmt | boot                                  
           bluetoothd |      default                          
             bootmisc | boot                                  
              cgroups |                                 sysinit
             connmand |      default                          
          consolefont | boot                                  
               cronie |      default                          
                cupsd |      default                          
                 dbus |      default                          
                devfs |                                 sysinit
        device-mapper |                                       
               dhcpcd |                                       
              dmcrypt |                                       
                dmesg |                                 sysinit
             dmeventd |                                       
              elogind | boot                                  
                 fsck | boot                                  
              haveged |                                       
             hostname | boot                                  
              hwclock | boot                                  
              keymaps | boot                                  
            killprocs |                        shutdown       
    kmod-static-nodes |                                 sysinit
              lightdm |      default                          
                local |      default nonetwork                
           localmount | boot                                  
             loopback | boot                                  
                  lvm |                                       
       lvm-monitoring |                                       
             lvmpolld |                                       
                mdadm |                                       
               mdraid |                                       
              modules | boot                                  
             mount-ro |                        shutdown       
                 mtab | boot                                  
           net-online |                                       
               net.lo | boot                                  
             netmount |      default                          
                  nfs |                                       
            nfsclient |                                       
           ntp-client |                                       
                 ntpd |                                       
              numlock |                                       
     openrc-settingsd |                                       
         opensysusers | boot                                  
     opentmpfiles-dev |                                 sysinit
   opentmpfiles-setup | boot                                  
              osclock |                                       
               procfs | boot                                  
                 root | boot                                  
             rpc.gssd |                                       
           rpc.idmapd |                                       
           rpc.pipefs |                                       
            rpc.statd |                                       
          rpc.svcgssd |                                       
              rpcbind |                                       
               rsyncd |                                       
             runsvdir |                                       
            s6-svscan |                                       
         save-keymaps | boot                                  
    save-termencoding | boot                                  
            savecache |                        shutdown       
              seedrng | boot                                  
                 sntp |                                       
                 sshd |                                       
                 swap | boot                                  
              swclock |                                       
               sysctl | boot                                  
                sysfs |                                 sysinit
            syslog-ng |      default                          
         termencoding | boot                                  
                 udev |                                 sysinit
          udev-settle |                                       
         udev-trigger |                                 sysinit
       wpa_supplicant |                                       
amelanchier:[root]:/home/irulan-corrino#

Reply #12
You are trying to start a service which does not exist.
I haven't used xfce4 for ages but looking in that package shows me xfce4-notifyd is started via a .desktop file.
The package places the file /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-notifyd.desktop

If xfce is running and xfce4-notifyd is not try copying the file I mentioned into ~/.config/autostart/

Reply #13
You are trying to start a service which does not exist.
[...] /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-notifyd.desktop
If xfce is running and xfce4-notifyd is not try copying the file I mentioned into ~/.config/autostart/
thank you, following this right now

oh could you please tell WHAT DE/WM do you use?
i know it`s 'a mission creep' being off topic but i am considering to switch to another DE/WM if XFCE v4.18.0-1 would be crashing on this my laptop (i have v4.16.0-2, fifteen minutes ago just have found long awaited group`s update in repos).

specifically i am attracted to JWM [Joe`s Window Manager] JWM is written in C and uses only Xlib at a minimum
Current release: JWM v2.4.3

[and i`m not going to abandon Openbox WM which i am running right now with my affected machine being completely healthy in absense of XFCE v4.16.0-2.]

Reply #14

[...]
loginctl poweroff -i
[...]
oh yes thank you --i just have learned how to edit openbox`s XML menu files [...] so i can try substituting the command from menu with one you have posted
loginctl poweroff -i
[...] by some strange reason openbox`s set of them calls to systemd`s components --only its own 'LogOut' is functioning properly.

recently i was very busy [programming, carpentry] so i have checked this XML menu only today ...and oh God YOU WERE SO RIGHT!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<openbox_menu xmlns="http://openbox.org/3.4/menu">
<!-- and ends with -->
<!-- [...] REST OF XML MENU -->

<menu id="exit-menu" label="Exit">
<item label="Log Out">
<action name="Execute">
<command>openbox --exit</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Shutdown">
<action name="Execute">
<command>systemctl poweroff</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Restart">
<action name="Execute">
        <command>systemctl reboot</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Suspend">
<action name="Execute">
        <command>systemctl suspend</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Hibernate">
<action name="Execute">
        <command>systemctl hibernate</command>
</action>
</item>
</menu>

<menu id="root-menu" label="Openbox 3">
<!--  <menu id="applications" label="Apples" execute="xdg_menu --format openbox3-pipe --root-menu /etc/xdg/menus/arch-applications.menu" /> -->
  <separator />

<menu id="Applications"/>
<menu id="exit-menu"/>
    <separator />
  <item label="Reconfigure Openbox">
    <action name="Reconfigure" />
  </item>
    <separator />
  <item label="Log Out">
    <action name="Exit">
      <prompt>yes</prompt>
    </action>
  </item>
</menu>

now i am going to try following stuff:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<openbox_menu xmlns="http://openbox.org/3.4/menu">
<!-- and ends with -->
<!-- [...] REST OF XML MENU -->

<menu id="exit-menu" label="Exit">
<item label="Log Out">
<action name="Execute">
<command>openbox --exit</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Shutdown">
<action name="Execute">
<command>loginctl poweroff</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Restart">
<action name="Execute">
        <command>loginctl reboot</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Suspend">
<action name="Execute">
        <command>loginctl suspend</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Hibernate">
<action name="Execute">
        <command>loginctl hibernate</command>
</action>
</item>
</menu>

<menu id="root-menu" label="Openbox 3">
<!--  <menu id="applications" label="Apples" execute="xdg_menu --format openbox3-pipe --root-menu /etc/xdg/menus/arch-applications.menu" /> -->
  <separator />

<menu id="Applications"/>
<menu id="exit-menu"/>
    <separator />
  <item label="Reconfigure Openbox">
    <action name="Reconfigure" />
  </item>
    <separator />
  <item label="Log Out">
    <action name="Exit">
      <prompt>yes</prompt>
    </action>