Skip to main content
Topic: Artix XFCE ISO is somehow borked (Read 1094 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix XFCE ISO is somehow borked

I'm not sure whether it was asked before but yesterday I decided to reinstall the system and couldn't. I figured it all out but here are some proposals. Not sure if the devs listen to me, but anyway:

1) 5xx nvidia shouldn't be on the live media since many of your users may have legacy cards (like me). Hence, not working desktop/inability to install the system. The previous older builds have the same issue.

2) After installation I have a big bunch of lib32 packages. Why? Even without multilib enabled. Well...

3) After installation your polkit rule file 99-artix.rules doesn't work: it doesn't allow the user to mount external drives (the issue that I still can't figure out, probably there's a problem with new versions of polkit-gnome or udisks2). UPDATE: This one got fixed by reinstalling 'polkit' because /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/ directory's permissions were messed up for some reason.

Re: Artix XFCE ISO is somehow borked

Reply #1
Kernel drivers contain a list of models they support to prevent the wrong ones being loaded. If your card is incorrectly detected as being a supported model when it isn't, that's probably a bug in that driver, not an Artix one incidentally. Completing the lists often needs user interaction to report back to the driver developers, so they might be the best people to contact if you can determine who they are (unless the problem was something else entirely of course!  :D )

Reply #2
2) After installation I have a big bunch of lib32 packages. Why? Even without multilib enabled. Well...
Which iso are you using ? That was supposed to be fixed in the latest release ?

Reply #3
Which iso are you using ? That was supposed to be fixed in the latest release ?

https://download.artixlinux.org/archived-iso/artix-xfce-runit-20230306-x86_64.iso

From the Older ones (I thought there wasn't an issue with nvidia). So, I don't know the situation with the latest ISO, actually.

The list of packages left after installation is here.

Reply #4
Kernel drivers contain a list of models they support to prevent the wrong ones being loaded. If your card is incorrectly detected as being a supported model when it isn't, that's probably a bug in that driver, not an Artix one incidentally. Completing the lists often needs user interaction to report back to the driver developers, so they might be the best people to contact if you can determine who they are (unless the problem was something else entirely of course!  :D )

Okay, I got it. I just offered a sane variant of not including proprietary driver in the live media. It can be easily done with the opensource ones. You never know what all your potential users are using. Well, it worked for me before when I installed Artix (it was like in the end of 2022, iirc).

Reply #5
Strange, but polkit-gnome or udisks2 haven't upgraded for a long time already. But mounting works on another HDD with Artix on it. Here on my newly installed system - no... lol

Reply #6
Try running 'modprobe fuse' in regards to the mounting issue, it seems something changed in udisks/gvfs and doesn't work on some fs's until some tweaking.

Reply #7
Try running 'modprobe fuse' in regards to the mounting issue, it seems something changed in udisks/gvfs and doesn't work on some fs's until some tweaking.

Yeah, something definitely changed. But modprobing doesn't fix it.

Reply #8
It looks like the relevant rule in "/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/99-artix.rules"  is this one:
Code: [Select]
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (action.id.indexOf("org.freedesktop.udisks2.") == 0 && subject.isInGroup("storage")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
This would suggest your user isn't in the the "storage" group, as described here near the top of the page, so creating the mounting problems:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Configuration

Reply #9
This would suggest your user isn't in the the "storage" group, as described here near the top of the page, so creating the mounting problems:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Configuration

Nope. The user was in this group by default after installation. Tried changing the group as well as adding myself to other ones - doesn't fix it. The strangest part is that my other (older) Artix installation works just fine.

Reply #10
Or...something is strange indeed with recent ISOs. I just don't know what to say here.

Reply #11
Or... some package or lib is missing (which I really doubt since polkit and udisks2 are in the system)

Reply #12
Did a quick install of XFCE 20230401 and it works flawlessly, automount and all, without any tweaking whatsoever.

Reply #13
Did a quick install of XFCE 20230401 and it works flawlessly, automount and all, without any tweaking whatsoever.

Then I guess artix-xfce-runit-20230306-x86_64.iso is really borked. Gotta reinstall then :(

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Reply #14

Nope :( Did a fresh install from the latest Artix Xfce Runit ISO and still get this: http://0x0.st/HXkh.png

P.S. My HDD is an external one, connected via SATA. It works in another Artix installation. I just don't know wtf actually happens :)