Skip to main content
Topic: UFS support (Read 4037 times) previous topic - next topic

UFS support

Hello, I am double booting with OpenBSD and I lack UFS support in Artix. Linux should be able to mount read only UFS drives, however seems like Arch got rid of this completely and Artix inherited this.
Any chance we can include it in Artix (again)?
Linux user since 1997.
Red Hat -> Mandrake - > Arch - > Slackware -> Manjaro -> Artix / OpenBSD

Re: UFS support

Reply #1
UFS is not the only thing with *BSD: at first its label should be supported, which is different for OpenBSD and FreeBSD. I doubt any of them is supported in linux
ARMtix

Reply #2
yes, there are differences and that's why support is said to be read-only.
To my knowledge in mount you specify if you are mounting ffs (OpenBSD, NetBSD), or ufs2 (DragonFly, FreeBSD), like mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2
Linux user since 1997.

Reply #3
I would think there would be a fuse plugin for it maybe?

Reply #4
Are you sure there's no ufs support? modprobe ufs works just fine for me. Pretty sure the module is still around but it's just not on by default.

Reply #5
hmmm, I tried modprobe and seems like module got initiated and I was also able to mount partition. But it wasn't success. I cannot even view directory structure and when I enter directory I mounted OpenBSD partition to, it says I/O error. Seems like UFS support is broken. Which is pitty. Seems like the only way to get data shared between BSD and Linux is EXT2, FAT32 or NTFS. Or NFS of course - but that's not feasible while dual booting.
Linux user since 1997.

Reply #6
I just looked into kernel config options (via xconfig) and found only FreeBSD disklabel is marked as supported: this option is called CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL
ARMtix

Reply #7
we follow archlinux kernel, if they change config we change config too.. therefore, it is unlikely that the archlinux kernel is different from our kernel.
at least for linux-zen I can say that it is 100% the same,

Reply #8
artixlinux kernel config (linux-5.6.6-artix1):
CONFIG_UFS_FS=m
# CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE is not set
# CONFIG_UFS_DEBUG is not set

that same have archlinux too

Reply #9
Code: [Select]
aur/linux-aufs 5.6.7-1 [2 / 0.061759]
    The Linux AUFS kernel and modules
aur/linux-aufs-docs 5.6.7-1 [2 / 0.061759]
    Documentation for the Linux AUFS kernel
aur/linux-aufs-headers 5.6.7-1 [2 / 0.061759]
    Headers and scripts for building modules for the Linux AUFS kernel
That is in the AUR - Alternative UFS is not UFS but perhaps it has better support for BSD UFS too? Don't know though.

Reply #10
thanks for the idea, it took me some time to test it but result was the same.
I am not going to install FreeBSD just to try if the UFS support works with it. For me OpenBSD is important and obviously I have to use EXT2/EXT3 for drives I plan to share. Potentially use EXT4 for Linux system as OpenBSD can access EXT2/3 read-write and EXT4 read-only
Linux user since 1997.

Reply #11
If I do:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo modprobe -av ufs
$ cat /proc/filesystems
then UFS is shown, while before this, it is not. I get the same result in Devuan with the liqorix kernel, this is also available in the AUR, along with the CK kernel. Without a UFS filesystem to test with I couldn't say whether it actually functions as indicated though. The alternative kernels are different but whether they work for you is another matter. Also (probably it is just me does this, after all, you are dual booting BSD!) use uname -r to check you are running the kernel you think you are as merely installing may not actually boot with that  ;)  Plus if you have just installed a kernel you have to reboot before modprobe will work.
If it says there is UFS support and there isn't any that must mean there is a problem I guess...

Reply #12
liqorix kernel is very very similar to linux-zen kernel, both make same peoples

Reply #13
of course I rebooted using new kernel. Module was loaded, mount claimed partition is mounted but I couldn't even see directory structure. Same as with standard Artix kernel
Linux user since 1997.