Skip to main content
Topic: All services refused to start after dinit upgrade form 0.2.9 -> 0.3.6 (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

All services refused to start after dinit upgrade form 0.2.9 -> 0.3.6

Hi everyone!
This more raport and warning, than asking for help.

Today I fired `pacman -Syu` and end up with all failed services after reboot. I am using dinit.

Reason was `tmpfiles-setup` was throwing a warning - my /usr/lib and /usr/share were belonging to my user, not root.

In previous version of dinit it was no problem, I remembered this warning from startup messages, but all was all right. After upgrade, all services failed because of that.

Fix was trivial, I fixed directories permissions (chowned to root:root).

Maybe it would be better to ignore tmpfiles-setup warnings/errors?

All the best to all around Artix and especially big thanks to all Artix developers and maintainers!

Re: All services refused to start after dinit upgrade form 0.2.9 -> 0.3.6

Reply #1
After looking at the warning (/usr/lib and /usr/share were belonging to my user, not root.), I'll have to say no because how did you got /usr/lib and /usr/share be owned by you in the first place?
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #2
@konimex i screwed up a vm recently, dinit gives you a root console for recovery, from there after running mount / -o remount,rw it can do almost anything, even connect to network with dhclient and run pacman.

Reply #4
After looking at the warning (/usr/lib and /usr/share were belonging to my user, not root.), I'll have to say no because how did you got /usr/lib and /usr/share be owned by you in the first place?

I expected this question.  ;)
I am not really sure, but it was for sure by running something under root permissions that shouldn't run under root, my hot candidates are:
  • yay
  • npm (but this was doing much worse mess in past when running as root, so probably it was not that)

It is user mistake. Yay will warn you, that it is poor idea to run it under root.
But It can happen without your knowledge (in my case I run yay as part of script) and it may present security risk, but there may be users which will discard whole artix/dinit/linux instalation ... when their system will break because of it.

So I still think **etmpfiles** warning shouldn't prevent whole init to load.

Reply #5

I expected this question.  ;)
I am not really sure, but it was for sure by running something under root permissions that shouldn't run under root, my hot candidates are:
  • yay
  • npm (but this was doing much worse mess in past when running as root, so probably it was not that)

It is user mistake. Yay will warn you, that it is poor idea to run it under root.
But It can happen without your knowledge (in my case I run yay as part of script) and it may present security risk, but there may be users which will discard whole artix/dinit/linux instalation ... when their system will break because of it.

So I still think **etmpfiles** warning shouldn't prevent whole init to load.
I decided to let tmpfiles return 0 under two specific circumstances, I'll push an update hopefully in under 5/6 hours.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #6
Great!
I think it is very good for dinit to catch such things as much as possible. It should run as many services as possible even if there is some problems in the system.

Have a good day and again thank you for great work you are doing!