Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Wifi randomly stops working (Read 363 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Wifi randomly stops working

Recently, the Wi-Fi on my laptop started to stop working randomly. It doesn't disconnect, but instead silently stops working while still thinking that it's connected. Disabling Wi-Fi and enabling it back on again seems to fix the issue temporarily, but after aboiut 10 minutes it stops working again.

If that's useful, my laptop has Intel Wi-fI and using connman for connecting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Wifi randomly stops working

Reply #1
Intel wireless drivers are utter crap in Linux. I've had iwl3945 and iwlwifi in the past with at least 3 intel wireless cards and had countless problems with every one of them. So, I ditched them (and the nice-to-have bluetooth that came along) and installed an Atheros/ath9k: not a single disconnect in 2 years, greater range, consistently higher speeds and peace of mind.

I'm sorry it wasn't the answer you were expecting, but I was in your shoes for many years and never found one.

Reply #2
I also have had these issues in the past.

One thing, see if your router has both 2G and 5G enabled with the networks having the same ssid.  If they are the same see if you can change them to different values (put a -2G and a -5G at the end of them).  Not 100% sure but I think this was causing me some connectivity issues.  I know my ISP by default has the networks with the same ssid and I guess the connecting network adapter is meant to pick one?  The best one?  I don't know but I had better connectivity for sure when I split the ssid's into two unique names.

Reply #3
To understand what is happening you need to look at the logs. See dmesg and /var/log/messages.log when the network goes down. It’s also worth looking at the router logs if you have access.

Reply #4
Update: Found out my laptop's Wi-fi card was faulty. It was nothing to do with software.