Skip to main content
Topic: Clearance sale going on now on isle 7 - Antergos RIP (Read 949 times) previous topic - next topic

Clearance sale going on now on isle 7 - Antergos RIP

https://antergos.com/blog/antergos-linux-project-ends/

Who would have thought, one of the most hyped Arch based distros, like mint or ubuntu of arch, would have rolled down its shutters?  The word was out that it was the easiest installer to install arch with, Calamares, needing at least 18GB of space to move to step2.

Poor antergos becomes anter-no-go-s due to lack of excitement of participating devs.  I  have to admit, systemd and all, I can't say that such a thing is happy news.  I had targeted this once, I treated it as a hack-victim, taking its guts out and replacing them with cleaner guts, runit/openrc/s6.  After you victimize a couple of innocent species and produce hybrids of them, it loses its magic and  interest.  If there is no challenge what's the fun in doing it?

So hurry up, run and download all backgrounds, desktop hacks, themes, configurations, icons, fonts, etc.  while they last.  :P

[antergos]
SigLevel = Never
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist
Server = http://mirrors.antergos.com/$repo/$arch

Their keyring is from 05/2017 so the last guy on-board didn't want to buy a new key

Re: Clearance sale going on now on isle 7 - Antergos RIP

Reply #1
After Apricity OS I was kinda expecting that. It actually lasted far longer than I anticipated. Not that I wished it ill, but maintaining a noob-friendly Arch-based distro with own installer, defaults, branding, tweaks, hacks and whatnots is a gargantuan task with all the constant changes Arch devs make.

Reply #2
Didn't Apricity resurrect as RebornOS?
There are many Arch based systems out there, mostly it is just a desktop setup and aesthetic remakes of what you can get readily from Arch.  Few have any substance to them.

Reply #3
they haven't stated why they closing it down.
However i am gonna put their repos into pacman.conf in a minute and see what can be downloaded :)
edit: i have downloaded antergox-openbox-meta and antergos-base as well as antergos-desktop-settings but my openbox is plain so it seems like antergos openbox config files should be updated but how??

Reply #4
"Antergos" and the 3 original dev's may be gone but the rest aren't going anywhere, they're deciding on a new name in the forum at present.  ;D  I had a look to see what people were saying about this news on there. (And they did request help at one point, temporary or otherwise, but then seemed to have got it btw, if anyone was both competent and bored.)