Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: notification daemon / server (Read 1858 times) previous topic - next topic

notification daemon / server

Hello,

I have another question:

Gajim does not play sounds here and shows this error when started in a terminal:

Code: [Select]
02.07.2019 21:01:51 (E) gajim.notify Notifications D-Bus connection failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gajim/notify.py", line 96, in on_proxy_ready
    self.daemon_capabilities = proxy.GetCapabilities()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gio.py", line 354, in __call__
    None)
gi.repository.GLib.GError: g-dbus-error-quark: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files (2)

So I installed notification-daemon but it did not help.

When reading about dunst, it looked as if it would need systemd (according to the file list).

Which notification daemon or server can I use with Artix (runit) ?  I guess I need one with ...-runit  package (?)

Re: notification daemon / server

Reply #1
The notification daemon has to be running.

The dunst does not need systemd, it only provides systemd service file.
On Artix this file does nothing.

I am using dunst and it runs fine.

In many cases the notification daemon is run under user, so put start command in the autostart of your DE or WM.

For systemd, systemd has a feature to start service under the user, and that is what dunst is using.
I believe Runit has no such feature by default and it is meaningless to add it.

Reply #2
Looking at dunst's own systemd service, I believe they used dbus directly. So I have no idea how to translate this to a Runit service.

As for dunst itself, I have it running normally in my .xinitrc before starting my WM. Have you tried running dunst manually and try running gajim again?

For systemd, systemd has a feature to start service under the user, and that is what dunst is using.
I believe Runit has no such feature by default and it is meaningless to add it.

Runit does have start service under user feature. See man 8 chpst for details.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #3
I have added:

Code: [Select]
/usr/lib/notification-daemon-1.0/notification-daemon &

to ~/.xinitrc and the gajim error is gone  :)

I will try dunst, manually, too.

Thanks

edit: dunst works, too. thanks again