Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [Tracker] s6 support (Read 6668 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Tracker] s6 support

Reply #31
I kind of gave up on this and just added this oneshot service that mount-net depends on instead of dhcpcd:

while true; do
    routes=$(ip route show)
    if [[ -n "${routes}" ]]; then
        break
    fi
    sleep 1
done

No, I'm not proud :(

Reply #32
I kind of gave up on this and just added this oneshot service that mount-net depends on instead of dhcpcd:

while true; do
    routes=$(ip route show)
    if [[ -n "${routes}" ]]; then
        break
    fi
    sleep 1
done

No, I'm not proud :(

At least it works! I briefly tried some things like writing the wpa_supplicant -P option directly to /dev/fd/3, but it didn't seem to work (as in the service didn't even start) for some reason. Maybe I did something wrong though.

Reply #33
Minor note. I stopped being stupid realized that the purpose of opensysusers is to create system accounts so the newest version of s6 uses a s6log.conf file to create the s6log user for logging instead of the install script. Nothing changes for current s6 users however I also reworked the permissions handling so that the s6log group no longer needs any ownership over the /var/log directory. Instead, the individual logging directories are created with an install command that assigns the proper user/group/ownership (did you know you could assign group ownership with install? I didn't).

Anyways, you don't have to do anything, but for people on s6 already, feel free to set /var/log's ownership back to only root with a "chown root:root: /var/log" command after you get the next update.

Edit: Actually I think you might need to readd any users to the s6log group after the update since the opensysusers hook runs and does its thing.

Reply #34
Another thing to note, I have compiled s6-linux-init with the option to print all messages to /dev/console on startup. By default, your /dev/console is tty1 which means you will get a ton of messages on bootup by default. I have not made up my mind on how to handle this quite yet. The messages can be a little annoying, but also they can contain some very vital, important information. As a workaround you could set /dev/console to a different tty as part of your kernel's parameter (i.e. console=tty7 for grub) to get it to print somewhere else. Probably, I just need to think of something clever with logging.

I set console=tty8 in /etc/default/grub. Seeing messages from cryptsetup-s6 on tty1 was nearly a deal breaker. I thought about moving to openrc because of this.

You better document console=ttyX somewhere on the artix linux wiki.

Reply #35
This thread is pretty old and should be closed since much has changed since then (ex. the default s6-rc invocations are no longer verbose and nearly every service has its own logger now). But yes, I can document that.