Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] artix-plasma-openrc-20200113-x86_64 (Read 1770 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] artix-plasma-openrc-20200113-x86_64

Thank you! for finally building this Plasma image. (I saw an earlier ISO that was not usable really...)
Well, today this one is usable, except for one glaring deficiency- connman.

In a word, connman is 'terrible'.

Why?

It doesn't work. 

In what way does it not work?

1) The network names jump all around within the selection window.  The network name you thought you clicked is something else by the time the click is registered.  Doh!
2) Assuming you actually manage to successfully click on the network of your choice this does not result in the opportunity to join the network!?  Apparently some other magic is required.
3) This thing is beyond comprehension! 

I'm not smart enough to use connman - it's too complicated for Plasma desktop. This interface is like a step back to the beginings of wifi on Linux desktop - I was there!

On the other hand, NetworkManager' just works' - even from command line.  Select the network, enter password, voila! NETWORK!   
Why woud you use anything else?

I'll end the rant here and now...

Without network I cannot easily catalog the good/bad of this ISO (spalsh screen = gorgeous!).  Thank you so much for making it - really this is appreciated.  Just know that until connman actually works as well as NetworkManager this is a non-starter.  It just cannot be this hard to connect to a network. 

Networking should be just like init - do one thing and do it well - just work. 
Old-timer penguin

Re: artix-plasma-openrc-20200113-x86_64

Reply #1
OK - figured it out.  Turn on WiFI first, then second tab over select your network (still this is not easy) and password field should appear.

My earlier criticisms of connman still stand.  NetworkManger is 200% easier to use.  Connman is counter-intuitive to Plasma desktop.

Old-timer penguin

Reply #2
Ugh - third boot and connman is back to non-functional...
I think....
1st tab = turn on wiri
2nd tab = select network name
3rd tab = connect to selected network
- but then it says: "Select network before clicking join' or somesuch..... - in short, it blames the end user for failure.

I'm done w/ connman.  Even if it did work - three tabs?  Really?  3!?!  I have so many better things to do.....

connman = yuck (I actually feel conned....)
NetworkManager=network bliss compared to anything I've used, including MS Windows interface.
Old-timer penguin

Reply #3
Not sure if this is the problem you have, but with both Network Manager and Wicd I've had problems using the SSID with dual band routers that set the SSID the same for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. So you set up a connection to one, then later it tries to connect to the other band and has a problem. The solution is to find the BSSID of one network (probably the 2.4GHz one is best) and use that, if the settings allow this. Or if the router allows, use different SSID's for the 2 bands. Or enter passwords for both networks, but if you do then sometimes you might randomly connect to the slower 5GHz band, or it might confuse the GUI having 2 with the same name.
It's useful to know how different software packages work even if you don't want to use them, just in case you ever need to. Sometimes you find ones you like better, or that work better for particular purposes. Sounds like you have not been won over by connman though.  ;D

Reply #4
For what it's worth, I've always had problems with every GUI network daemon. Anything other than dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant has left a bad taste in my mouth. However, most users on linux are probably more used to NetworkManager than anything else, so switching to it on the liveiso is not a bad idea really.

Reply #5
The plasma iso should probably use NM, because it is well integrated .
NM's pretty big depend chain doesn't matter that much on plasma.

Reply #6
I'm done w/ connman.  Even if it did work - three tabs?  Really?  3!?!  I have so many better things to do.....

connman = yuck (I actually feel conned....)
NetworkManager=network bliss compared to anything I've used, including MS Windows interface.
First, thanks for testing and providing feedback. Thankfullyl, Artix is for big boys and girls who know how to install/remove packages. I'll test plasma/openrc/connman tomorrow with wireless (had only tested it on wire) and will probably update the profile with NM. Reluctantly.  :-\

Reply #8
Connman works on plasma-s6 (and lxqt-s6). 

But I think the complaint was ultimately about the behavior of the connman UI and, to a lesser degree, about the complexity of navigating it (which some will view as a menace and others as providing welcome features).

In all events, endless praise to the Artix developers!  Talk about init diversity or ... practice it!

I'm not used to either connman or s6: but I look forward to learning more.  Thanks again.

Reply #9
First, thanks for testing and providing feedback. Thankfullyl, Artix is for big boys and girls who know how to install/remove packages.
Well you know I do really like to see a new implemetation of desktop Linux.  Artix is that.  For some years now, I've used KDE / Plasma and it's become very fluid in that time.  Connman is a direct opposite to the flow of Plasma.  Additionally, Plasma has other connectivity (bluetooth for example) control intergrated elsewhere (taskbar).  Connman simpy doesn't fit in.

I've already built my preferred Artix live image with Plasma so certainly do not worry about me as a user.  I point out connman behaviour only because it seems unnoticied by those that do not regularly use Plasma desktop.  In my view, connman is opposite the way Plasma works in general.  It's redundant.

As always - thanks so much for the new releases of all shapes and varieties.  I think no one else can offer that variety found here. :)  Thanks to artools for being so easy to use and very well supported and documented if I may say so. ;) 

It's just like Burger King - "Have It Your Way"
Old-timer penguin

Reply #10
My "for big boys and girls" comment wasn't aggressive; it was intented to be read as "you have already found the solution to the problem yourself". Also, you're right, I'm not a Plasma user myself and @artoo (who is) concurs that NM is much better integrated into it than connman.