Skip to main content
Topic: Houston, we've got a Wiki (Read 4148 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Houston, we've got a Wiki

Reply #15
Seems to be no enthusiasm for me & the Artix wiki, so I guess I'll just happily continue using allservers2 on my lonesome - which is the easiest solution for me anyway. :)

I for one would be interested in your modified for Artix allservers2 script @handy. I used allservers pretty much exclusively from its inception in my Manjaro days. :)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #16
Hi @conky60 , I hope that you are doing well? ;)

I put the script which includes in its comments, that should have all of the essential info' that you need, (let me know if you have any problems, or I missed something?), into its own thread in the Tutorials section. So you'll find it here: https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,391.new.html#new

Catch you later conky. :)

Reply #17
@nous Hi, I had a copy of my modified to suit Artix, allservers script & a how-to for those that need it, over in the now gone, ArchBang / Tutorials section. I could put it in the Artix wiki if it is suitable? I've written plenty of wiki pages for Manjaro, but I'm not really going to be prolific in Artix, as my OpenRC knowledge is basic - as in I know only what I need to, when I need to.

Anyway, let me know what you think?

By all means, all contributions are very welcome. The wiki is currently open for all to edit.

Reply #19
Should we change the wiki to use MediaWiki instead? Yeah I've been trying to make pages for runit installation but the wiki still has errors.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #21
I prefer pmwiki over mediawiki, because it's much more lightweight and designed to update by just copying newer tarballs over the existing installation. I'm not totally negative about mediawiki, but for the time being and until/when we grow larger I prefer to keep it simple.

Reply #22
I prefer pmwiki over mediawiki, because it's much more lightweight and designed to update by just copying newer tarballs over the existing installation. I'm not totally negative about mediawiki, but for the time being and until/when we grow larger I prefer to keep it simple.

My only gripe with pmwiki is it's formatting, but maybe that's because I'm just not used to it yet, otherwise it's fine, I actually like their structure. (I made the page in https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Runit/Runit instead of https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Runit for better categorization)
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #23
I could not find or perhaps you can't add a page to the headings on the side panel ?
I thought my buildiso page should also go under installation?

Reply #24
You can only install the current kernel, + the LTS kernel the arch way and to be honest in nearly 14 years I have never had a problem with that, + why bloat your system with kernels never to be used
I've run into this as well.  You might be assuming that everyone else interacts with the system exactly the way you do.

For instance, I've been trying to figure out why I am having a problem with one kernel but not another problem, yet with a different kernel it's reversed.  One version is fast but later causes a hang, but another one doesn't but is very slow.  In order to test various scenarios to narrow down the source of the problem, it would have been useful to be able to boot various versions of the kernel.

This is pretty much standard throughout the Linux Kingdom.  I see no reason why users have to have only certain kernels.  If there were some support issue, maybe that would justify it.  But artix, like arch, pretty much leaves the fine decisions about configuration to the user.

In one distro years back, I had several kernels to boot from in order to debug a particular problem with some hardware device.  In fact, I think I even have a bug filed on their tracker site for this work.  If I come across it again, I'll update this post so you can see an example of why one might want a multi-kernel boot choice.

So yes, it would be convenient if there were more grub info for Artix, and moreover, support for multiple kernels.