Skip to main content
Topic: stable updates (Read 5348 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Major break after icu update

Reply #16
fwiw

Code: [Select]
wget https://mirror.netcologne.de/archlinux/core/os/x86_64/icu-59.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
sudo tar -C / -Jxvf  icu-59.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz usr

Reply #17
This would be a "release management" issue in my head.  Someone in the arch world pushed out to quickly to stable without checking dependencies. Hopefully this will get sorted out in a couple of days.
...and downgrading icu didn't help because of the other packages dependent on icu (i.e. harfbuzz)

Not good considering I do not use the testing repositories.

Reply #18
My Thunderbird broke as well; I don't know what else. I'm not on testing.

If I wouldn't have another distro on the partition next door, without Thunderbird I might as well go on vacations, that's how serious that is for me.

Re: stable updates

Reply #20
The solution to icu broke Thunderbird or other such packages, enable arch testing repo, thundertbird comes from arch, and their rebuild is not in stable yet.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/thunderbird/

You can also get for example thunderbird directly from url.

pacman -U http://mirror.f4st.host/archlinux/testing/os/x86_64/thunderbird-52.4.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Reply #21
...and downgrading icu didn't help because of the other packages dependent on icu (i.e. harfbuzz)

Not good considering I do not use the testing repositories.

try upgradong to 60 and just manually adding 59 like I proposed above.  All should be happy.  This is just a darn uft-font transation liberary.

Reply #22
After stable update cinnamon won't load
"cinnamon: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.59: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
I can understand why the file is not found as icu has been updated however if I downgrade icu the lightdm doesn't load.
Don't know what to do?

Reply #24
I think this update broke my home partition as i had to fsck manually. I cant say for certain it was the update but everything was working fine up until this update and fsck had errors on sda2 only which is the home partition. I got it back and fully updated but this concerns me somewhat.

Reply #25
I have both 59 and 60 packages if I install 59 lightdm wont load if I install 60 lightdm is happy but cinnamon crashes.
A solution would be nice.

Reply #26
Hmm, it looks like icu 60 was pushed to Artix stable, but has yet to land in Arch's core. That'll definitely cause problems. The simplest solution for now, assuming you're on icu 60 and have issues, is probably just to temporarily grab the packages you need from Arch's testing repos and wait for everything else to catch up.

Reply #28
Hmm, it looks like icu 60 was pushed to Artix stable, but has yet to land in Arch's core. That'll definitely cause problems. The simplest solution for now, assuming you're on icu 60 and have issues, is probably just to temporarily grab the packages you need from Arch's testing repos and wait for everything else to catch up.

I just enabled arch testing and downloaded half a dozen files nothing directly related to cinnamon but on a reboot cinnamon works again.

Reply #29
I can confirm having arch's testing repository negated the upgrade issues stemming from icu version discrepancies.

PS: It is somewhat amusing and horrifing that having testing repositories from arch kept my system stable moreso than having just artix stable in this instance. I also bi-daily check differences between my uptodate system and arch with unstable/staging/testing/stable stable repositories using pacman's "--config=" option and seperate pacman.conf for artix/arch and arch vanilla.

The devs usually are very close to arch's testing and a couple days of off arch staging. I thank you devs! Shit happens, but you are on the ball getting stuff fixed. I hope you all get some shuteye between maintence, life, and the by no means small to-do-list.

My artix repos:
gnome-unstable is up to date
 system-testing is up to date
 world-testing is up to date
 galaxy-testing is up to date
 lib32-testing is up to date
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 lib32 is up to date
 multilib-testing is up to date