Skip to main content
Topic: Latest upddate broke my entire install (Read 2136 times) previous topic - next topic

Latest upddate broke my entire install

My laptop which was migrated from Manjaro openrc and was working fine until today has suddenly developed a bunch of problems which I can only tie back to running a system update 2 day ago (the last time I used it) I don't know what happened exactly or how, but this morning when I tried to fire up my laptop, instead of getting the login screen I got a blank screen with a flashing cursor. I logged in on a VT and checked bunch of things, it seemed like xorg was crashing, but what turned out to be the problem is that my .xinitrc still had reference to ck-launch-session, which seems to have disappeared. I assume this went when consolekit was removed in the migration (I came from manjaro openrc), but the thing is I was using this laptop 2 days ago and it worked fine.

I fixed my xinitrc but the problems did not finish there. Lightdm will no longer start. I had to install sddm as a work around, but this is not a permanent solution. Once I logged in, my xfce session is broken, none of my icons are showing on the panel or in the menu, and none of my start up services like blueman are running.

I opened a terminal to edit some config files, only to find that not even vim works - it is giving me some error about libtinfo.so.6 being missing. I have ncurses installed, that does not seem to fix the problem.

At this point I am looking at reinstalling because there is so much wrong with the system. Word of warning to anyone else coming from a manjaro openrc migration - this update will ruin your system
... because systemd sucks

Re: Latest upddate broke my entire install

Reply #1
Most of this is because we're using mixed repos (ours and Arch's), and when there is even a slight missmatch in linked files, things go bork.

Reply #2
This is more a panic rant than report on what is wrong.

Please provide more information. If you have trouble, generally provide service status and log files.

Code: [Select]
rc-status --all

ist a good start .

Reply #3
In additions to what artoo said, please provide the contents of :

/etc/pacman.conf
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
/var/log/pacman.log
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #4
Appologies for the lack of "useful" debug info. I ended up reinstalling anyway, so I can't provide you anything concrete now, except to say that I migrated from a working Manjaro openrc install to using the Artix repos following the migration steps on this site, and everything was working fine until the last update I ran. Really the weirdest thing was that vim stopped working, and even purging and reinstalling did not fix it.

On another note, my reinstallation experience was not great either - first I ran into what appears to be a limitation with Calamares - no ability to select LVM volumes to install on. I moved to the manual / cli  method but basestrap kept failing with an error about not being able to download netifrc. In the end I had to download the package manually, and overide invalid package signature to install it, before I could get basestrap to complete.

Reply #5
On another note, my reinstallation experience was not great either - first I ran into what appears to be a limitation with Calamares - no ability to select LVM volumes to install on. I moved to the manual / cli  method but basestrap kept failing with an error about not being able to download netifrc. In the end I had to download the package manually, and overide invalid package signature to install it, before I could get basestrap to complete.

Well, at least you're capable enough to solve such problems youself. Welcome to Artix!

Reply #6
Upon reflection, my best guess on what caused my initial problem was running an update without switching my mirrorlist to use the new repos, and packages from Arch overwrote some stuff in world/galaxy. In my defense, the system gave me zero indication this was something I needed to do - I only found out about the new mirrors after everything broke and I came looking for answers. I know this distribution i intended for advanced users, but even advanced users need some kind of proactive warning about stuff like that.

If Artix is going to be the kind of distro that requires me to check the website once a week to make sure I don't need to manually change tweak something before I update, I'm probably going to switch to Devuan. Don't get me wrong, I love what you're doing with Artix, I even donated to the cause, and Manjaro openrc was my laptop distro of choice for the last few years, but I can't afford the time it takes to reinstall my system, or even just to have to continuously troubleshoot basic functionality like why my text editor no longer works, why my wifi adapter refuses to even see 5Ghz networks despite having set the reg domain properly, or why my bluetooth mouse won't connect to the HID service despite being properly paired.

Reply #7
Upon reflection, my best guess on what caused my initial problem was running an update without switching my mirrorlist to use the new repos, and packages from Arch overwrote some stuff in world/galaxy. In my defense, the system gave me zero indication this was something I needed to do - I only found out about the new mirrors after everything broke and I came looking for answers. I know this distribution i intended for advanced users, but even advanced users need some kind of proactive warning about stuff like that.

If Artix is going to be the kind of distro that requires me to check the website once a week to make sure I don't need to manually change tweak something before I update, I'm probably going to switch to Devuan. Don't get me wrong, I love what you're doing with Artix, I even donated to the cause, and Manjaro openrc was my laptop distro of choice for the last few years, but I can't afford the time it takes to reinstall my system, or even just to have to continuously troubleshoot basic functionality like why my text editor no longer works, why my wifi adapter refuses to even see 5Ghz networks despite having set the reg domain properly, or why my bluetooth mouse won't connect to the HID service despite being properly paired.

With rolling-release distros it is advisable to keep informed of possible announcements that manual intervention may be required on the part of the user. To me this is the cost of living near the edge....otherwise you may fall over the edge. :o

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #8
With rolling-release distros it is advisable to keep informed of possible announcements that manual intervention may be required on the part of the user. To me this is the cost of living near the edge....otherwise you may fall over the edge. :o

Fair point, but to counter, I've used rolling release distros for years and until now I've never hit a problem like this. If this is going to be an ongoing philosphy for Artix, it would be worthwhile stating as much clearly and boldly on the website, probably at the top of the install/migration guide too. Just saying "for advanced users" is not really enough IMO, plenty of advanced users go about their daily business with Linux without having to follow an RSS feed or mailing list about changes to their OS...

It would be great if there was some mechanism to push these kind of announcements into the software update process though....

Reply #9
I think your issue is with Arch philosophy and not Artix.
I used debian for years, and I was always years behind arch.  These days it takes half an hour to update debian, huge list of updates, every other package has an announcement you manually have to quit and proceed, and the end result is pkgs that have faced numerous bugs on other distros before they were admitted to debian unstable.
The rest of the distributions have 1/20th the number of pkgs available that debian and arch have, the rest you have to compile and maintain yourself.

When artix says it is Arch based, it means you have to accept everything that Arch says.  No need to reproduce Arch facts beyond this.

At least that is what I have understood so far.

Reply #10
Fair point, but to counter, I've used rolling release distros for years and until now I've never hit a problem like this. If this is going to be an ongoing philosphy for Artix, it would be worthwhile stating as much clearly and boldly on the website, probably at the top of the install/migration guide too. Just saying "for advanced users" is not really enough IMO, plenty of advanced users go about their daily business with Linux without having to follow an RSS feed or mailing list about changes to their OS...

It would be great if there was some mechanism to push these kind of announcements into the software update process though....

Its Artix policy to eventually repackage everything but that takes time the devs have lives and they have made great strides in a very short time. so the Arch repros will not be used any more Please read up on the Artix philosophy do not make inaccurate assumptions based on what? .

I run both Arch and Artix with no problems, not a converted Manjaro openrc I had the forsight to see their would be problems Manjaro is a mile away from pure arch, its not as stable as Arch more Arch inspired.