Skip to main content
Topic: [Suggestion] New topic form text (Read 634 times) previous topic - next topic

[Suggestion] New topic form text

Reading some of the posts here on Artix forum, I noticed that often an answer could already be found in Artix or Arch wiki, or found by web search on one of the Stack Exchange sites, etc. I think that alium's thread is great, but also seems to go unnoticed by the majority.

So I returned to the idea I had a while back.

I think the approach implemented on Stackoverflow and similar Stack Exchange sites is better to get the idea through. When one activates the link to ask a question, he is presented with a form whose input fields are surrounded by hints about asking the question. For example:
Be specific and imagine you’re asking a question to another person
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question
The community is here to help you with specific coding, algorithm, or language problems.
Avoid asking opinion-based questions.
  • Summarize the problem
    • Include details about your goal
    • Describe expected and actual results
    • Include any error messages
  • Describe what you’ve tried
  • Show some code
When the title of the new question is entered, a search for similar questions is done in the background and the user is presented with a few of the found topics. This makes the user to at least pause for a moment and think if someone has already made that question, or how it can be improved. Here's how it looks:

I'm not sure how easy would that search be implemented in ElkArte, but I think that at least the form elements could be modified to include some of the points from alium's post and a link to it. This is my suggestion in any case.