Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Drive possibly not being dismounted cleanly on reboot? (Read 2578 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Drive possibly not being dismounted cleanly on reboot?

Reply #15
I'm not sure if we are miscommunicating here or if something else is happening.

A file system that doesn't unmount cleanly, on a modern file system, will amost certainly __not__ prevent the system from rebooting.  This would be true of a UEFI system, which has a seperate boot partition, or a traditional setup.  The  system will just clear unclosed bits on boot up.  I think they will even do an fsck on a rougue file system, although I can't imagine what abuse you would need to do to the system to cause this kind of error to the point where the system won't mount or boot.

Also, this is not likely an OS problem.  It is likely a run away user space process  problem.

So you might find Artix as not ready for your purposes, but not for this reason.

Reply #16
I don't have any processes locked keeping the drive open and it shuts down clean it just don't come back up clean after a shutdown.  I haven't gotten any further finding the root cause because there is nothing in the logs.  What I have been doing is keeping a Artix install USB handy and when it happens, I boot live, launch partitionmanager, unlock the drive, re-lock it, reboot and everything just works again.  I don't have the same issue on my Precision 7510 however and both machines are UEFI but I don't even have to mount the /boot partition to get it working again just /
Host: Predator PH517-61 V1.07
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (16) @ 3.2GHz [112.4°F]
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 56/64
Memory: 1129MiB / 64390MiB

Reply #17
Tell me do you duel boot with windows?

Reply #18
Tell me do you duel boot with windows?

A pox on you mentioning that thing here :). J/K no dual boot here.  Artix all the way.

Reply #19
Because the decryption happens so early on I don't think there will be any logs to indicate what's going on.
Possibly dracut would log something if you set it? See the manpage for dracut.

Reply #21
I should have checked that suggestion properly,  ;D on non Artix compatible HW at that moment so I searched the forum for dracut instead. Yes, it was there... So is THAT why F2FS installation fails looking for dracut? You found the answer! I'll keep quiet - for a bit... ;)
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,394.msg3132.html#msg3132

Reply #22
I should have checked that suggestion properly,  ;D on non Artix compatible HW at that moment so I searched the forum for dracut instead. Yes, it was there... So is THAT why F2FS installation fails looking for dracut? You found the answer! I'll keep quiet - for a bit... ;)
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,394.msg3132.html#msg3132
If dracut is the reason why it fails, then yes that would be the cause. dracut can be found in the AUR though if F2FS is really desired.
Chris Cromer

Reply #23
I'm hugely sorry I wasn't able to provide more supporting troubleshooting information on this but the problem for me seems to have been resolved (at least over the course of patching over the last few weeks).  Not sure if it was a patch that fixed the issue or if switching to only using pacman + yaourt for updates was the true fix but I no longer have the issue on any of my systems at all.  If no one else is experiencing this issue I will change the subject & mark it as solved unless you guys want me to leave it as is?

Reply #24
Hopefully you might be able to tell us what you did to fix it to help other people who have the same issue. But if not, don't worry. I will go ahead and mark this as closed since your issue is resolved.
Chris Cromer

Reply #25
Unfortunately, as stated, the only thing I did was keep up with the updates and stop using pamac.  I'm really trying to be a contributor and not just a "consumer" for Artix because I'm a strong believer and supporter of it's direction and mission but unfortunately, that's all I did to fix the problem.  After a while it seems to have just worked it's own way out.