Skip to main content
Topic: Peerguardian in repos [suggestion] (Read 787 times) previous topic - next topic

Peerguardian in repos [suggestion]

Hello and thank you for this beautful distro.
 For few months, there was Peerguardian in artix unofficial repo. Now it's gone.
 I installed seatd and artix, and tried to install peerguardian from Aur, but it won't work with seatd.
 It can be installed from Aur with elogind, but I wish if there is some unofficial or official build.
 Thank you.

Re: Peerguardian in repos [suggestion]

Reply #1
Hello and thank you for this beautful distro.
 For few months, there was Peerguardian in artix unofficial repo. Now it's gone.
 I installed seatd and artix, and tried to install peerguardian from Aur, but it won't work with seatd.
 It can be installed from Aur with elogind, but I wish if there is some unofficial or official build.
 Thank you.
Considering it hasn't been maintained since 2016, it would be a bad idea to add it to official repos. It's a security disaster waiting to happen.
Chris Cromer

Reply #2
It worked without any problems for me. Unofficial build worked just fine.

Reply #5
It won't work with seatd :( And there is no alternative and similar software like Peer guardian, I have been searching for firewall with gui to load iblocklist, but there is nothing similar to Pgl.
 Many applications is with some telemetry, so Peerguardian is very very important regarding telemetry tracing.
 Clementine player, Firefox, Strawberry player and other software is bundled with telemetry. Some sites and "non-telemetry" search engines are bundled with telemetry, too. Duck Duck go, for example.

Reply #6
It won't work with seatd :( And there is no alternative and similar software like Peer guardian, I have been searching for firewall with gui to load iblocklist, but there is nothing similar to Pgl.
 Many applications is with some telemetry, so Peerguardian is very very important regarding telemetry tracing.
 Clementine player, Firefox, Strawberry player and other software is bundled with telemetry. Some sites and "non-telemetry" search engines are bundled with telemetry, too. Duck Duck go, for example.
Try to contact the author upstream, instead. As @Chris Cromer explained above, unmaintained software won't be included in the official repositories.

Telemetry and privacy is a separate topic, and you can find Ungoogled-chromium and Librewolf, forks of Chrome and Firefox focused on privacy, in the universe repository.

Reply #7
It was just suggestion, because Peerguardian was in unofficial repos.

Telemetry is related to visiting some sites in browser and using applications in Linux, so there is no other way to check whether there is or there is not telemetry without Peer Guardian.
 Using Libre Wolf and Ungoogled Chromium is just one step out of telemetry, another step is to stop using some search engines and to stop using telemetry applications in Linux.
 Sometimes, Google is scanning our IP-s, and Pgl is also useful to detect that events.

Thank you anyway.