Skip to main content
Topic: What should be in an Artix FAQ for new users (Read 3032 times) previous topic - next topic

What should be in an Artix FAQ for new users

Let's start a proposal of suggestions and proposed content for a FAQ.
Based on what is proposed and agreed (loosely) below this top post will be updated as a cumulative FAQ file

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Repositories for Artix
What is system-world-galaxy-community- .... etc.
How do system-world-galaxy/-testing repositories work https://artixlinux.org/forum/index.php?topic=27

How to install and configure Artix https://artixlinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,41.msg262

Re: What should be in an Artix FAQ for new users

Reply #1
@Eratostenes (Ερατοσθένης) @nous (Νους)
https://artixlinux.org/forum/index.php?topic=135

Let's get organized

Hello, I am new in Artixlinux and It's very cool, I don't like systemd, and Arch+openrc is very nice.

I could help to artix, for example, I see that there is no installation guide for artix-base, it's easy to install and configure artix if you know arch, but some things change a lot because of using openrc instead of systemd, I could write a guide for install, my native language is spanish, my english is not the best but I think that could do it.

Also, I also have decent knowledge about how an arch-based distro and pkgbuilds work, I would not mind, as far as it can help keep certain packages.

Again, I love this distribution, whatever "do not use" systemd seems to me important and that's why I want to collaborate.

Who should I contact for this?

Thanks.
We'd be glad to include well-written guides. Please see our site code to get an idea on how it's composed. I'm thinking of adding a wiki when I get the time. In general, people wanting to contribute should check the sources at github and make PRs. That's by the way the fastest path to becoming a regular maintainer of this awesome distro!

Reply #2
A basic overview of common procedures that may help when something goes wrong would probably be helpful (chroot, downgrade etc.). 

Also the status of the available kernels.

Reply #3
For those glorifying the poor innocent helpless user
There have been two related threads here, maybe three.  One is this about forming an F.A.Q, another is a wishlist for Artix.
The wishlist received enough attention, users wishing stuff.  The FAQ didn't get any attention, or a list of things that should go on a wiki.

As self criticism, as a user, we shouldn't be expecting while unable to provide.
Each according to his/her needs and each according to her/his potential and contribution.

Disregarding Artix philosophy and its selective audience, I am and will try to make Artix reachable for the not so experienced arch-user, which sometimes is hard as I am totally inexperienced in Arch.  It took me 3 days to adjust to Manjaro, and after being one of the first Artix users, I am still adjusting.

Reply #4
For those glorifying the poor innocent helpless user
There have been two related threads here, maybe three.  One is this about forming an F.A.Q, another is a wishlist for Artix.
The wishlist received enough attention, users wishing stuff.  The FAQ didn't get any attention, or a list of things that should go on a wiki.

As self criticism, as a user, we shouldn't be expecting while unable to provide.
Each according to his/her needs and each according to her/his potential and contribution.
In my very limited  free time, I've been setting up our Wiki. @francesco is also on board with the wiki setup, but he's extremely time-limited too. I've hesitated to publish the news because we haven't setup a user authentication system yet, but there you are.

Disregarding Artix philosophy and its selective audience, I am and will try to make Artix reachable for the not so experienced arch-user, which sometimes is hard as I am totally inexperienced in Arch.  It took me 3 days to adjust to Manjaro, and after being one of the first Artix users, I am still adjusting.

It's selective by its very nature. How many everyday users give a fsck about the init system beneath their pretty desktop colours?

Reply #5
In response to "why should joe user give a fsck about the init system underlying their pretty desktop" or whatever, I might enjoin this, as a joe user. I am retired from a 40 year career in computers - unix flavors from the 70s through 90s, proprietary DEC and Cray systems in the same time frame, Windows NT and its progeny, and yes, back then (in the late 90s) started playing around with Linux. Having retired 10 years ago, I enjoy installing Linux on various laptops in my possession, both bare metal and VMs, just to explore their various pluses and minuses.  As a former analyst/admin in the industry, I am interested in the init wars with systemd, sysvinit, OpenRC, etc.  I lurked and watched OpenRC fork from Manjaro to its current Artix incarnation.  My question: given that joe user doesn't care about what lurks underneath his desktop presentation, why Artix? Why non-systemd? These are rhetorical questions on my part.  If I was still a sysadmin running a server farm, I would at high priority want stability and a modular means of maintaining systems to perform for my end joe user customers. What does Artix anticipate in contributing to that scenario? I've noticed that the Devuan group, forking from Debian over systemd, is attempting to cater to the server crowd.  Is Artix interested in that, coming from Arch/Manjaro?  Arch has never been really a server oriented system, but like Gentoo, caters to Linux afficionados. Where do the Artix developers lie in this scenario. Cheers, from an old fart newbie to Antix.
Move from rim to hub; know the wheel. -- rough translation from old Mahayana Buddhist texts

Reply #6
@curtvaughan In the short-term, Artix is for moderately experienced users to be able to have an Arch-like experience, using the OpenRC init system so as to avoid systemd. In the long term, I think Artix is for users wanting to have a choice of non-invasive init system. Of-course, these things can evolve in time.

Reply #7
I think that the following should be in the FAQ or in the Wiki (I just updated now incorrect info' that I'd put in the Manjaro Wiki on this topic, as follows):

To start X automatically:

Make your /etc/conf.d/agetty.tty1 the same as the following:

# Set the baud rate of the terminal line
baud="38400"

# set the terminal type
term_type="linux"

# extra options to pass to agetty for this port
agetty_options="--autologin guest"

# make agetty quiet
#quiet="no"

Be sure replace guest in the above code, to the user name that you desire to autologin.

Put the following in your ~/.bash_profile :

# Start x on login
if [[ -z $DISPLAY && ! -e /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 ]]; then
   exec startx
fi

Apart from the above, you will just need to use pacman to delete sddm, lightdm or whichever other DM you have installed. After you have done that, the above changes should allow you to boot straight into your WM or DE without any user input (no logging in with user names & passwords).

Note: the above code & information came from the Porteus forum: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=58946&sid=7e00b1918e3bc2d578709e57979e0bd1#p58946

Reply #8
My question: given that joe user doesn't care about what lurks underneath his desktop presentation, why Artix? Why non-systemd?

This question has been answered time and again. Please, see the related section of my signature site. Not a single fact has changed for the better since I put that together.

Reply #9
1  My question: given that joe user doesn't care about what lurks underneath his desktop presentation, why Artix? Why non-systemd?
2  If I was still a sysadmin running a server farm, I would at high priority want stability and a modular means of maintaining systems to perform for my end joe user customers. What does Artix anticipate in contributing to that scenario?

1   If .... joe ...  then neither Artix nor Arch, or even Devuan and Debian is the system for Joe.   I'd say something like mint or ubuntu is best for such Joes.  Systemd may actually be good for Joe.  But I think Joe should decide from trial and error.

2  Should the users at the farm have a choice?  What separates users and sysadmin in a farm and why should their work system be dictated?  I think this is a better question than why should sysadmin dictate Artix on the Roman row boat.  An easy answer is because in 99.99% of the cases sysadmin "can" choose and the Joes can't.  If I was paid to be sysadmin and wanted to minimize my workload I'd choose Debian hands down, as it is easier to defend my choice to any boss.  If I was really into it and wanted to compete with other sysadmins in speed and efficiency I'd choose Devuan while they were running Debian.  If Joes were to decide and tell the sysadmin what to provide, ie common work data, work area, security, network access, then I would assume the average Joe can pick her/his system of choice and utilize the data on the servers.  Joe1 may choose Obarun, Jane2 may choose Refracta.  Maybe we could all get together and decide that systemd is a security violation/risk and ban it from our system, have local repositories for the rest of the systems used.
In the real world if you want something from someone he/it gets to dictate what you should run, so it is not even the sysadmin's choice really.  It is what RedHat consulting enforced and hiring RH was a business decision not a technical choice.