Skip to main content
Topic: xorgproto (Read 2207 times) previous topic - next topic

xorgproto

anyone have trouble running an upgrade because of  xorgproto?

Re: xorgproto

Reply #2
which board?

Reply #3
Code: [Select]
[www3 ~]# pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system-testing                       76.0   B  0.00B/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 system                              173.4 KiB   578K/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 world                               482.4 KiB  2.14M/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 galaxy                              102.1 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 extra                              1596.5 KiB  2.78M/s 00:01 [##################################] 100%
 community                             4.1 MiB  5.35M/s 00:01 [##################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace compositeproto with world/xorgproto? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace damageproto with world/xorgproto? [Y/n]
:: Replace damageproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n]
warning: cannot replace damageproto by xorgproto
:: Replace dmxproto with world/xorgproto? [Y/n]

Reply #4
I said y to world (artix repo) but n to extra (arch repo) duplicates, this avoids the onscreen warnings but probably it's not important.
But I had to "pacman -Rs " not only libxfont, but also lib32-libusb & lib32-libgusb due to some lib32-systemd vs lib32-eudev (or something like that) conflict where they both tried to provide the same so. Then I had to move /etc/cron.daily/logrotate because logrotate refused to upgrade, the old logrotate was a Manjaro relic with more built in niceness from the look of things.
After that I could reinstall lib32-libusb and lib32-libgusb again, but they had fewer dependencies than were uninstalled. Guess it's fine anyhow, it boots and works.
But I hadn't upgraded for a couple of weeks being lazier no doubt, so had more fun at once. Another issue last month was syslog-ng printing a warning message at boot about the version number needing upgrading in it's /etc/ config file, doing this manually fixed it. There were no .pacnew files for it. I think that was another ex - Manjaro piece of config with no arch equivalent. I tried syslog-ng first but then installed rsyslog instead in Arch Without Systemd because it worked almost out of the box I recall.

Reply #5
It was said multiple times here...
In pacman.conf enable option "VerbosePkgLists"
Which will show you list of the packages with the repository from which it will be downloaded
In this case "xorgproto" should be installed from "world"
You can simply press yes to everything here and check what will be done before committing update.
From my point of view this looks like bug in pacman...

Reply #6
I said y to world (artix repo) but n to extra (arch repo) duplicates, this avoids the onscreen warnings but probably it's not important.
But I had to "pacman -Rs " not only libxfont, but also lib32-libusb & lib32-libgusb due to some lib32-systemd vs lib32-eudev (or something like that) conflict where they both tried to provide the same so. Then I had to move /etc/cron.daily/logrotate because logrotate refused to upgrade, the old logrotate was a Manjaro relic with more built in niceness from the look of things.
After that I could reinstall lib32-libusb and lib32-libgusb again, but they had fewer dependencies than were uninstalled. Guess it's fine anyhow, it boots and works.
But I hadn't upgraded for a couple of weeks being lazier no doubt, so had more fun at once. Another issue last month was syslog-ng printing a warning message at boot about the version number needing upgrading in it's /etc/ config file, doing this manually fixed it. There were no .pacnew files for it. I think that was another ex - Manjaro piece of config with no arch equivalent. I tried syslog-ng first but then installed rsyslog instead in Arch Without Systemd because it worked almost out of the box I recall.

What does usb libraries have to do with x11 fonts?

Reply #7
IIn this case "xorgproto" should be installed from "world"
You can simply press yes to everything here and check what will be done before committing update.
From my point of view this looks like bug in pacman...

FWIW, saying Y to everything cause it to crash.  I had to do an upgrade with --ignore xfont, or something like that.  Then I came back and installed xorgproto with pacman -S xorgproto

Reply #8

What does usb libraries have to do with x11 fonts?

I have multilib installed, this was another upgrade conflict during the same upgrade, like the logrotate one. Is libxfont directly connected to all the xorgproto things? I had to resolve all these conflicts before the update would complete, so I had plenty of practice doing the y y n bit as pacman asked on every new try (one hand doing y & n, the other on Enter got through it quite fast by the end  ;D )

Reply #9
I have multilib installed, this was another upgrade conflict during the same upgrade, like the logrotate one. Is libxfont directly connected to all the xorgproto things? I had to resolve all these conflicts before the update would complete, so I had plenty of practice doing the y y n bit as pacman asked on every new try (one hand doing y & n, the other on Enter got through it quite fast by the end  ;D )

I have to admit that you lost me.  I used ignore, FWIW, which left me with only xfont to work on in the end.

Reply #10
In pacman.conf enable option "VerbosePkgLists"

Thank you for the reminder, I have done this now. Upgrading again just now everything went perfectly without a hitch, and the OS as a whole still works as well as it did when it was Manjaro OpenRC.

Is this the fifth thread opening up on the same damn orphan, libxproto?

This is multi-threaded processing, it's the modern way to get more performance.  ;)

I have to admit that you lost me.  I used ignore, FWIW, which left me with only xfont to work on in the end.

It confused me too, so I BASHed it till it worked.