Skip to main content
Topic: KDE Plasma Cannot Log in, Freezes after password attempt, TTY works, [SOLVED] (Read 789 times) previous topic - next topic

KDE Plasma Cannot Log in, Freezes after password attempt, TTY works, [SOLVED]

Hello,

I'm writing a post on my research/solution for my problem over the last few days.

After I updated KDE Plasma on my Artix distribution:

Kernel: 5.19.8-artix1-1
plasma-meta version 5.25-1

I had the exact same problems as this poster: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/kde-could-not-find-theme-after-update/58598 with SDDM unable to access a module and library related to breeze plugins. I changed the SDDM configuration file to use `artix` as the theme and not breeze, which solved the red error messages both the OP of Manjaro posted about, and I experienced.

After several tries of logging in, and reading logs with no obvious solution, I tried re-downloading random packages. I used `sudo pacman -Syyuu plasma` and another command to overwrite all plasma packages within the `/*` directories. This force update did not work either.

I was considering downgrading, but could not find an obvious place where the old packages are stored of plasma-meta, or plasma-desktop in the Artix repositories.

In short, what I've found out after running the solution pacman command in the Manjaro OP post was that the `*-git` Plasma packages were fudging everything up severely. After downloading only plain-repo packages (no git version) for KDE Plasma Desktop, I was able to launch into the workspace as before my "problem update."

I've also added...:
```
# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
#IgnorePkg   =
IgnoreGroup = plasma-meta
```
...to the `/etc/pacman.conf` file so that yay (which I run for AUR access) can read the pacman.conf file and then see to ignore plasma-meta as a group. I should still be prompted for updates, but also notified that the packages are blocked. I need to find a more precise measure for stopping the use of `*-git` packages.

The packages I installed to rid the git versions were as follows:

`sudo pacman -S kcoreaddons kdbusaddons kwindowsystem kcodecs kconfig kirigami2 kquickimageeditor knotifications ki18n`

If are are ANY other packages with `*-git` then you must type in the normal name in the above line, add the name to the end like this example:

`sudo pacman -S kcoreaddons kdbusaddons kwindowsystem kcodecs kconfig kirigami2 kquickimageeditor knotifications ki18n kjobwidgets kauth`

Keep adding more "normal" packages until everything downloads. I hope this has been helpful for anons.

Re: KDE Plasma Cannot Log in, Freezes after password attempt, TTY works, [SOLVED]

Reply #1
downloading only plain-repo packages (no git version) for KDE Plasma Desktop,
What commands exactly have you used?
Operating System: Artix Linux x86_64