Skip to main content
Topic: No icons on desctop and bar in KDE (Read 676 times) previous topic - next topic

No icons on desctop and bar in KDE

Did fresh install, minor setup, update.
After boot icons are not visible.

I guess this environment is not suitable for grandmother's notebook yet.
Ill try to find something more stable.

Re: No icons on desctop and bar in KDE

Reply #1
you installed, then rebooted (?) or you did a setup post install (did that include any packages?)  then updated and rebooted?  and did the minor setup have any packages installed before updating and rebooting?

Reply #2
After install I did small configuration and upgraded system.
After reboot icons become invisible. They are still clickable.

I created a new user to check if problem is caused by some theme changes.
But new user has same problem with invisible icons.

There are also unlockeble screenlock and wrong gpg signature problem already reported on forum.

Reply #3
after an install of any .iso, doing a reboot (as per the screen that pops up), is pretty much essential BEFORE doing a pacman -Syu to get it all up to date (and another reboot as there will probably be kernel updates that need a reboot to take effect) is never a bad idea before configuring to avoid breaking it before you even begin.  

Reply #4
This is the 2nd post to have issues with a fresh-ish Artix Plasma install recently (here's the other). I keep a KDE VM for the purpose of verifying KDE packages I maintain, and other than that I don't use Plasma at all. I'm not super familiar with the DE beyond that, so I can't offer much help aside from trying to reproduce. So that's what I tried.

I grabbed the official Plasma OpenRC image, installed to an erased disk, upgraded all packages, and restarted. I still have a fully working install.

Perhaps someone more familiar with KDE/Plasma can chime in. Or if you could try to recall the modifications you made, it might clue us non-Plasma folks in to what the problem might be.

Reply #5
By "after install" I mean install and boot to installed system, not livecd mode.

I ll try to reproduce this. It also could be a breaking HD (there is no signs of breakage but I haven't checked).

I also noticed that during boot there were no Artix logo with loading bar. Could mean some components are not loading.

Reply #6
This is the 2nd post to have issues with a fresh-ish Artix Plasma install recently (here's the other). I keep a KDE VM for the purpose of verifying KDE packages I maintain, and other than that I don't use Plasma at all. I'm not super familiar with the DE beyond that, so I can't offer much help aside from trying to reproduce. So that's what I tried.

I grabbed the official Plasma OpenRC image, installed to an erased disk, upgraded all packages, and restarted. I still have a fully working install.

Perhaps someone more familiar with KDE/Plasma can chime in. Or if you could try to recall the modifications you made, it might clue us non-Plasma folks in to what the problem might be.
same here, I installed plasma (dinit) last week, no issues after install/reboot/update/reboot/configure (writing from it now).   What .iso was installed?  afaik, the artix splash is only on the community edition.  There was a huge kde update recently, so can only assume at this point the are wasn't up to date before config was done.   It's still not clear when the system was updated and rebooted, and what the minor config entailed before the system was updated and whether that included any packages etc

Reply #7
I should mention I used KDE community edition .
community-qt
artix-community-qt-openrc-20220713-x86_64.iso

I was able to reproduce behaviour.
I did checked sha256sum of iso on ventoy usb.
Moved beginning of installation partition so it doesn't match same bad sectors (if they exist).

1) Install
2) reboot
3) try to update but pacman complains about wrong pgp signatures
4) followed this advice https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Troubleshooting#Invalid_or_corrupted_packages_.28PGP_signature.29
5) updated with answer yes for all offered replacements
6) reboot

Same invisible icons on bar and desktop.

Here is what pacman offered to replace.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/cSRBwRB/cb0f379f

Reply #8
okay ,thanks for the additional info.  I don't personally use the community ed. but hopefully someone who does (or who put it together will chime in soon, and they will hopefully shed some light on this).   The plasma base images are very good and don't need a great deal of additional config (to the OS) with the exception of installing actual apps that you'll use anyway, and you'll end up with exactly what you need/use, rather than a load of packages that aren't required generally.  Now, i know that doesn't solve the issues you have per se, but it would give a good solution unless you're willing to wait and see who joins in the conversation!   Also, it does mean you get to choose which init you want from the get go, rather than just having to use open-rc, unless you want open-rc in the first place anyway.   

Reply #9
I guess this environment is not suitable for grandmother's notebook yet.
Ill try to find something more stable.
I had installed a KDE plasma-desktop on my elderly neighbor's PC, but he kept skidding icons around and he couldn't figure it out with kwallet etc.
After two unsuccessful years, I installed an XFCE version on his PC, and he's been quiet ever since.
Personally (out of laziness), I install XFCE versions available in the Weekly ISO images section:
https://artixlinux.org/download.php

Reply #10
Exact same thing here. For me, the issue started last year, about when Arch and Artix moved to linux 6. No icons, like in the other post and the glitching menu bar. I assumed that I borked my packages and tried out Devuan (Debian). I am running an laptop with an nVidia 2060 (and the intergrated intel cpu). Today I did a fresh install of Artix, and after installing the nvidia drivers, the menu glitch started occuring again. No missing icons though.