Skip to main content
Topic: Moving from OpenRC to Runit, need some tips. Font rendering messed up (Read 3026 times) previous topic - next topic

Moving from OpenRC to Runit, need some tips. Font rendering messed up

Hey guys, I've switched over to Artix Runit from OpenRC since I like Runit as I have used Void Linux before....

where is /etc/sv/ and /var/service?

like... etc/runit/sv/ ? So where would /var/service end up being? And I noticed theres no cpupower-runit & nvidia-utils-runit init script... Does it not need one or...? I figured it might because there's nvidia-utils-openrc and cpupower-openrc.

Is it supposed to be /etc/runit/runsvdir ? Broken up into current, default & single? So should I put the init scripts I need into default?

It would appear the font rendering in lxterminal is extremely messed up, to the point of it being unreadable. I hope everything else isn't like this.

system-fixed width font in guake looks the same as in lxterminal. This may be because of the NVIDIA nonfree drivers but I don't know.

Re: Moving from OpenRC to Runit, need some tips. Font rendering messed up

Reply #1
Hello,
information regarding basic usage and directory structure of runit in Artix
can be found in our Wiki:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Runit

Reply #2
look at the wiki, it is all there, it is different than void's

/etc/runit/sv
and
/run/runit/service

Reply #3
/etc/runit/sv
and
/run/runit/service ? oh

so what is /etc/runit/runsvdir/default /single and /current?

what should I keep in the /default? perhaps LXDM? Bluetoothd? haveged? sshd? openntpd? should all of these things be linked to /run/runit/service ? does it make a difference?

I just went over that wiki a bit, I may of missed that bit but I'm gonna read it more thoroughly

what's a supervision tree? does that mean it runs in superuser or something?

Reply #4
Hey guys, I've switched over to Artix Runit from OpenRC since I like Runit as I have used Void Linux before....

where is /etc/sv/ and /var/service?

like... etc/runit/sv/ ? So where would /var/service end up being? And I noticed theres no cpupower-runit & nvidia-utils-runit init script... Does it not need one or...? I figured it might because there's nvidia-utils-openrc and cpupower-openrc.

nvidia-utils-openrc is an "initscript" which starts nvidia-persistenced, however, since by principle runit can NOT in any way supervise background process (that's why in most runit services they run the program in foreground), I decided against adding it.

cpupower-openrc is just a oneshot script. I might add it someday but it's not on my priority list.

Is it supposed to be /etc/runit/runsvdir ? Broken up into current, default & single? So should I put the init scripts I need into default?

/run/runit/service points to /etc/runit/runsvdir/current, which by default points to /etc/runit/runsvdir/default. But if you want to run it immediately, just put your service into /run/runit/service.

It would appear the font rendering in lxterminal is extremely messed up, to the point of it being unreadable. I hope everything else isn't like this.

system-fixed width font in guake looks the same as in lxterminal. This may be because of the NVIDIA nonfree drivers but I don't know.

I don't think this is an issue with runit itself since I have an NVIDIA non-free drivers and the fonts looked fine.

what should I keep in the /default? perhaps LXDM? Bluetoothd? haveged? sshd? openntpd? should all of these things be linked to /run/runit/service ? does it make a difference?
Your choice. Like I said, /run/runit/service is pointing to the running service directory. It's like the "default" runlevel in OpenRC.

I just went over that wiki a bit, I may of missed that bit but I'm gonna read it more thoroughly

what's a supervision tree? does that mean it runs in superuser or something?

If you run pstree -a, you may see a process (runsvdir) which has child (runsv) processes.
That is supervision tree.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #5
Thank you for the detailed response, Kominex. I was JUST reading this thread, I really appreciate people like you working hard to provide more init systems - I think Runit is my favourite so far, it JUST WORKS and is simple to use, I think its far superior to SysV in a lot of ways, I like the simplicity of making the links for services.

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,29.30.html

A quote from DudeManGuy:
"Ah, that makes sense. It might not be a clean fix, but I just slapped "sleep 1s" before the dbus check and there's no error message for me anymore."

Now I am curious, how do I fix the elogind errors? I have installed Artix Runit via pacstrap (the arch way) on two PCs and this elogind error continues to pop up. Where do I add this "sleep 1s" to? that's what I'm still having trouble understanding.

Reply #6
Ah,  I put the "sleep 1s" in the elogind init script. So my /etc/runit/sv/elogind/run looks like this.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
sleep 1s
sv check dbus >/dev/null || exit 1
exec /usr/lib/elogind/elogind

Not an elegant solution, but you won't see those elogind errors on startup.

Reply #7
I've updated the dbus runit service script to include a check command (which was missing so sv check immediately returns 0) to see if dbus is running or not. The problem should be fixed.

Reply #8
Yep it started working the other day after an update, thank you both very much!

I'm working on trying to make a runit script if you guys would like to help out :P
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,584.new.html#info_4578

Once I'm more experienced in doing this stuff & packaging things, I'll start contributing to Artix in whichever ways I can.

Reply #9
I've updated the dbus runit service script to include a check command (which was missing so sv check immediately returns 0) to see if dbus is running or not. The problem should be fixed.

The Elogind error has come back, I'm gonna try adding the sleep 1s to the runit script to see if that makes it work.. Should I be concerned about this error?

Reply #10

The Elogind error has come back, I'm gonna try adding the sleep 1s to the runit script to see if that makes it work.. Should I be concerned about this error?
It doesn't seem to appear in all of my systems, though.
What's your elogind-runit and dbus-runit version?

Reply #11
Yeah I can also confirm that konimex's update to dbus-runit and elogind-runit also got rid of my error, so the "sleep 1s" line isn't necessary. The error isn't anything to be concerned about though. It's just elogind starting up before dbus. Getting rid of it is just cosmetic.