Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: RESOLVED - h.264 / mp4 / html5 video playback in Mozilla Seamonkey 2.49.2 (Read 2553 times) previous topic - next topic

RESOLVED - h.264 / mp4 / html5 video playback in Mozilla Seamonkey 2.49.2

New Artix user as of a week ago.  I've used Seamonkey for the past 8 years or so since my first foray into Linux back then.
I've used Puppy, Mint, Salix, Arch, Devuan, and many others for shorter periods of time.

Even with my marginal experience,  I've ran into a problem as mentioned in the subject line that I can't figure out. 

I've installed Seamonkey (64) direct from their website and from the Artix repos with the same results.  H.264/mp4/html5 wont play (no video with supported format and MIME   type found). WebM and Ogg both work fine.

Ive installed all the gstreamer plugins (ugly, good, base, etc..), ffmpeg, x264, and xvidcore.
I've been through about:config in Seamonkey enabling everything I can find for h.264 / mp4 playback yet the problem persists.

Problem does not exist in Firefox, Inox (from AUR), or qutebrowser.

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears....and thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Re: h.264 / mp4 / html5 video playback in Mozilla Seamonkey 2.49.2

Reply #1
All I can contribute is that I've used palemoon and waterfox on Artix and never had video playing issues.

Reply #2
I just installed Seamonkey for a test and it works (on youtube). I do have mozplugger installed, however.

Reply #3
nous,  With your Seamonkey install can you play the  H.264/MP4  video format on this test page?

https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

I can play all others but not that one.

Did you install via pacman or via extraction of the supplied 64-bit tar from seamonkey-project.org?

Reply #4
Ok...I'm not sure why the problem is resolved now...

I simply un-installed Seamonkey and wiped my profile folder under home/user/.mozilla. 
Upon fresh install via pacman the h.264 videos are playing.

My only thoughts are:
- I noticed that I got a version bump to 2.49.3 when I re-installed.
- Perhaps after copying a profile from my other OS I forgot to chown the profile directory (unlikely since all other settings and extension worked).
- Or, maybe the WebRTC extension I had installed bunged something permanently in the profile I was using...(I had uninstalled all extensions and had tried running with a new profile and neither had worked).

Sorry for not having a solid reason but this has been resolved.