Skip to main content
Topic: Updating /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch (Read 3677 times) previous topic - next topic

Updating /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

I noticed I was getting some mirrorlist.pacnew files (Artix repos) occasionally, but the mirrorlist-arch file (Arch repos) was left the same.
On a Manjaro OpenRC conversion, /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch was not owned by any package. On an Artix base install:
Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Qo /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch is owned by archlinux-mirrorlist 20170709-1
But that mirrorlist over a year old and some http mirrors have now changed to https and so on.
You can easily make your own fully updated speed ranked mirrorlist (for the Arch mirrors) to your own specs with the Arch Linux Pacman Mirrorlist Generator:
https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

I thought that was a useful tip to share, perhaps helping to reduce update download times.

Re: Updating /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

Reply #1
Manjaro only has its own repository and mirrors, no arch.  It is arch based but I don't think it originally comes with arch repositories, you have to add them on your own if you like.  Artix uses arch repositories (at least extra and community) so the mirrorlis-arch belongs to pacman.
Once in a while I get a bad hit of an arch-mirror and comment it out.  To avoid confusion I rename mirrorlist as mirrorlist-artix in pacman.conf and pacman.d/  but then when a new mirrorlist comes in I have to rename it manually.  When you list them you can tell them apart by size, arch being huge and artix being small.
When I moved from manja-operc to artix I was getting a little confused about things because I had no previous arch experience.  I only had  debian experience.  After a while when I played around with manjaro again trying to shift it to runit or s6 I understood how confusing things manjaro was doing and arch made much more sense.  I know others may say the reverse, but how you switch manjaro to testing from stable is really complex for no reason.  I guess if you focus in clicking things on a gui you do things differently.

Re: Updating /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

Reply #2
The mirrorlists are separate packages, just the mirrorlist, it's not part of the pacman package.
Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Qo /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist is owned by artix-mirrorlist 20180822-1
$ pacman -Qo /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch is owned by archlinux-mirrorlist 20170709-1
$ pacman -Ql artix-mirrorlist
artix-mirrorlist /etc/
artix-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/
artix-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
$ pacman -Ql archlinux-mirrorlist
archlinux-mirrorlist /etc/
archlinux-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/
archlinux-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

But the Arch one has not been updated for over a year. In truth though, the only reason I noticed this was because I was tidying up rm'ing some pacnew and backup files in /etc. In the Manjaro OpenRC conversion I had these old mirrorlist-manjaro (in the very early Artix days the Manjaro repos were used for a while as well) and mirrorlist-arch files that had not been updated for ages, and they didn't belong to any package, so I deleted them. Then pacman stopped working with an error that it couldn't find mirrorlist-arch! It was important after all...  :o  So I had to make a new updated one and checked out the ownership in the other Artix installation.