Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [Solved] XDM and OprenRC (Read 3047 times) previous topic - next topic

[Solved] XDM and OprenRC

Hi,

Long time gentoo/funtoo user installed Artix OpenRc today and discovered the lack of suitable rc-scripts to start the display manager. With a recent funtoo-installation available I copied and modified a few files and it works like a charm.

The four files attached shall be move saved as follows (note the changed file-extension to be able to attach):
  • init.d-xdm.txt shall be saved as to /etc/init.d/xdm
  • init.d-xdm-setup.txt shall be  saved as to /etc/init.d/xdm-setup This is the one that detects kernel option nox to avoid automatic start of X
  • conf.d-xdm.txt shall be  saved as to /etc/conf.d/xdm  This is where you point out the display manager to use. Read more at Gentoos Wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Display_manager
  • startDM.txt shall be  saved as to /etc/X11/startDM.sh and is a helper-script.

I did not discover any missing dependencies but there might be some. Please inform in this thread.

The changes I made was to /etc/init.d/xdm:
  • The hard coded dependency to consolekit is changed to logind
  • I removed the hardcoded dependency to xfs (no clue why it is there, I don't have it installed).

If I stay with artix and eventually learn how to package those things I might make a package. Until then I just supply those files  8)

I take full responsibility of my Linux systems - I just need some help from time to time.

Re: [Solved] XDM and OprenRC

Reply #1
You just need to install displaymanager-openrc to have all the stuff installed you proposed.

Reply #2
Well, strange that other packages I'v come across are named XXX-runit and XXX-openrc except for this that use a completely different name. Is there a reason for that?

There is no displaymanager-runit either.

Perhaps my conclusion of naming convention is wrong and there is no naming-convention runit/openrc?

// Erik
I take full responsibility of my Linux systems - I just need some help from time to time.

Reply #3
Well, strange that other packages I'v come across are named XXX-runit and XXX-openrc except for this that use a completely different name. Is there a reason for that?
Perhaps my conclusion of naming convention is wrong and there is no naming-convention runit/openrc?
// Erik
Try xdm-runit... There's a small discrepancy here, we usually use the same "basename" for both inits.

Reply #4

// Erik
On OpenRC-based systems, display manager's initscripts are unified under one sole initscript (based on Gentoo's initscript found in x11-base/xorg-server). So you can just set it on /etc/conf.d/xdm.

Meanwhile in runit systems their service scripts are packaged separately per display manager. So you might want to look into their respective packages like sddm-runit, lxdm-runit, etc.
now only the dinit guy in artix