Skip to main content
Topic: What are the differences between Arch & Artix ? (Read 12521 times) previous topic - next topic

What are the differences between Arch & Artix ?

I understand that Artix is a "mini" fork from Arch.

But unless I'm mistaken, only a bunch of (essential) packages have dependency on systemd.
Do you rebuild all the packages from Arch or do you manage the infected ones and get the rest from the Arch repositories ?
I thought it was the latter (as I would think, maybe naively, it requires less work) but then I don't understand the lack of multilib.

I'm planning to migrate from Manjaro-openrc as soon as everything checks out (and the migration basically says its complete).

Re: What are the differences between Arch & Artix ?

Reply #1
You'd be surprised at how many non-essential packages depend on systemd. All packages in system, world and galaxy are built by our buildbot, we don't copy from Arch. Our multilib is called lib32 and is slowly but steadily getting populated.

Reply #2
Indeed. Thank you for your answer.

Reply #3
I would just state that multilib is in the repo's and just has to be commented out of pacman.conf. You can use this now until lib32 repo is ready.

Reply #4
But we are currently using packages from the [extra] and [community] repositories of Arch.

Reply #5
True but that is because they have not all migrated yet think as soon as the buildbot is sorted  the arch repo's will disappear from stable
and perhaps testing as well.

Reply #6
But we are currently using packages from the [extra] and [community] repositories of Arch.
Since [world] and [galaxy] are placed above them in pacman.conf, our clean packages take precedence. The ones we don't have are either clean or we've missed them.

Reply #7
Since [world] and [galaxy] are placed above them in pacman.conf, our clean packages take precedence.

As long as we don't lag behind Arch packages (as is currently happening with pulseaudio and glibc), because then those packages will be used.

Reply #8
No, repo order takes precedence over package versions. You won't get any package from 3rd party repos that's also in ours, regardless of version.

Reply #9
No, repo order takes precedence over package versions. You won't get any package from 3rd party repos that's also in ours, regardless of version.

Umm... then how do you explain my machine attempting to pull 'pulseaudio' from the Arch repo: ?

Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for physkets:
:: Synchronising package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community                                                              4.0 MiB  7.61M/s 00:01 [#######################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: artix-mirrorlist: local (20170913-1) is newer than system (20170818-1)
warning: screenfetch: local (3.8.0.r45.ga0bffe0-1) is newer than community (3.8.0-2)
warning: terminus-font: local (4.46-1.1) is newer than community (4.46-1)
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "linux-lts>=4.9.51", a dependency of "acpi_call-lts"
warning: cannot resolve "glibc=2.26", a dependency of "valgrind"
:: The following packages cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      acpi_call-lts  valgrind

:: Do you want to skip the above packages for this upgrade? [y/N] y
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (6) libpulse-11.1-1  pulseaudio-11.1-1  pulseaudio-bluetooth-11.1-1  pulseaudio-gconf-11.1-1  rtkit-0.11+6+g417bb7d-1  systemd-dummy-233-1

Total Download Size:   1.49 MiB
Total Installed Size:  9.56 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      1.81 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

Reply #10
Something else you already have have is specifically requesting pulseaudio-11, See my output, ignoring [extra] (edited for brevity):
Code: [Select]
hyperion:[root]:/tmp# pacman -Q|grep pulse
lib32-libpulse 10.0-1
libpulse 10.0-3
pulseaudio 10.0-3

hyperion:[root]:/tmp# pacman -Ss pulseaudio
world/pulseaudio 10.0-3 [installed]
    A featureful, general-purpose sound server
extra/pulseaudio 11.1-1 [installed: 10.0-3]
    A featureful, general-purpose sound server

yperion:[root]:/tmp# pacman -S pulseaudio
warning: pulseaudio-10.0-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (1)       Old Version  New Version  Net Change
world/pulseaudio  10.0-3       10.0-3         0.00 MiB

Total Installed Size:  6.10 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB
:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

Reply #11
You're right; turns out, "plasma-pa" depends on "pulseaudio-gconf", which isn't in our repos. I think that is what is resulting in the upgrade to 11.0

Reply #12

Unless a package from 3rd party repos also pulls a specific version of another package(does happen) regardless of the higher repo order...