Skip to main content
Topic: Artix Plasma - can you just build this already please? (Read 2866 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix Plasma - can you just build this already please?

I'd like to thank you for Arch without systemd.  Really- it is truly appreciated.  I love it as an OS and have made it my own on my own hardware and it's absolutelty fabulous! 

If Artix were a bit more polished out of the box I'd use it in a production environment.

* LXQT - I personally could not code a better desktop (or anything beyond scripting really).

* Plasma - kicks LXQT in the teeth and the arse in every way.
(Does LXQT seem to need half of Plasma anyway?)

In Plasma:
- custom keyboard- "just works"
- Power button - yep you guessed it - just works and offers shutdown options.
- Display brightness - works
- Volume buttons - they work too

These are all expectations of a modern OS on modern hardware.  Unless your wish is to remain secluded and work in a limited fashion does it not seem prudent to make this as painless as possible for end users? Even today's low-end hardware is very powerful and capable of rendering a nice desktop..

Give me Plasma or give me a VT!

Today's Plasma works wonderfully on low-end hardware.  I use it on a fanless Chromebook w/ 4G RAM & an Atom quad-core processor with a  1080 display- it's more than adequate.

Alternatively, LXQT makes my wrists hurt, my eyes hurt, my ears cannot hear and my keyboard is mapped incorrectly.  Frankly - the live Artix experience on what should be fully supported hardware is not ideal - in fact, it's behind the times and it's a developers  decision to keep it so by using such a limited desktop.

Why not support a complete desktop experience?  Anyone can always install something lesser at their discretion.  If your hardware is so low-end it cannot run Plasma maybe it's 32bit?
Old-timer penguin

Re: Artix Plasma - can you just build this already please?

Reply #1
I think you can build KDE plasma yourself and install it from official repositories and then choose it during the log in box session choice.
I have installed KDE Plasma on this distro before but for me 'works' is not enough. I got rid of it after a week because this stuff is a bit suspicious to me.

I am not sure if the philosophy behind Artix is not do it yourself. Why can't you just download plasma and configure it for your own needs and share with other people what you have achieved?? Post a picture in the screenshot thread?? :)
Perhaps if there were more packagers then somebody could eventually take care of creating KDE .iso however i think there isn't manpower at the moment (hopefully yet), it's not so mainstream like Manjaro and Antergos and can have 9 properly configured desktop environments i think.
If i were you i would just download KDE plasma. If i get to package manager octopi there are lots of stuff available in repositories.
The desktop yuo mentioned is available under plasma-desktop

I am not sure if some stuff from plasma isn't related to systemd in some way though.

PS. well and anyway Artix is Arch based and i think this one is do it yourself too. It's quite lucky that the one we talk about has Graphical User Interface installer, normally you have to do it by yourself i think.

Reply #2
Why not support a complete desktop experience?  Anyone can always install something lesser at their discretion.

Diid you try installing plasma and it didn't work?  Or what specifically didn't work?  Did you report it here and it wasn't resolved?
There are many many desktops and window managers, and all have their fanatic followers who wouldn't trade them for a fortune.  The issue is whether you tried and it didn't work and you got no help.  The rest is all irrelevant.

Reply #3
Why not support a complete desktop experience?  Anyone can always install something lesser at their discretion.  If your hardware is so low-end it cannot run Plasma maybe it's 32bit?
But, you can also install it afterwards, it's just a pacman command away:
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -Sy plasma
I know for a fact that artoo uses Plasma as a desktop, but we prefer LXQt for our releases because of smaller ISO size and very fast installation. I've been flirting with the idea of creating "community" ISOs with KDE Plasma and MATE (which I personally use), but I fear that would create more support requests and whining than letting people install them on their own.

Reply #4
I've been flirting with the idea of creating "community" ISOs with KDE Plasma and MATE (which I personally use), but I fear that would create more support requests and whining than letting people install them on their own.
Plasma works fabulously - there are no problems installing.  I merely suggest that the Artix ISO would be better served by a fully functional desktop.  Yes - the Plasma ISO is larger and I suppose the install does take longer. 

I have built Plasma ISOs - they work well (except for that entropy on boot problem...) but methinks that's fixable.

Whining....yep always and forever.
Old-timer penguin

Reply #5
If i were some amazing developer, fking guru of linux and respected guy i would say: if you wanna have kde or gnome go on different distribution, cuz they suck. They're both slow and buggy.
I don't think there's any point talking about some plasmas too, it's waste of time.
I haven't got good experience with community based things. My mantra is that majority of people are stupid. Usually if something becomes oriented about what people want it's turning into crap.
So what i am saying is that i am not part of linux or whatever i am just artix user but i think there are more important things than some kde iso's.

Reply #6
Plasma is very easily installed, since lxqt and plasma are qt at heart. You can tailor your installation to your wants/needs. I just did an lxqt runit install which I converted to plasma w/o any issues at all. Personally I like the "do it yourself" method, but I can understand that others may not feel that way.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #7
Plasma works fabulously - there are no problems installing.  I merely suggest that the Artix ISO would be better served by a fully functional desktop.  Yes - the Plasma ISO is larger and I suppose the install does take longer. 
I have to disagree here. I personally think Artix should never provide any ISO apart of base ISO (Hey, we're trying to be Arch-like here, not Manjaro-like). It'll be even better if our current base ISO has packages installed from [system] and [system] alone.
Personally, I think adding an LxQt ISO wih an installer is a mistake in the first place. We should not dictate what user should install.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #8
I have to disagree here. I personally think Artix should never provide any ISO apart of base ISO (Hey, we're trying to be Arch-like here, not Manjaro-like). It'll be even better if our current base ISO has packages installed from [system] and [system] alone.
Personally, I think adding an LxQt ISO wih an installer is a mistake in the first place. We should not dictate what user should install.
Exactly my thoughts. ;)

Reply #9
It seems to be quite a bit more efficient to offer only the necessities within distributed ISO images (without full-fledged desktop environments); all other packages may be freely obtained, if so desired.

Artix runs well with just sinit, ubase version of login (no need for a display manager), dwm, and dmenu.

Simplicity is easily maintainable.

Reply #10
The reason why we have chosen lxqt as DE on iso is simply its small size, and it was working on manjaro, easy to port to artix
Since calamares is qt based, lxqt is just ideal to be the DE hosting the installer.
We could probably use Lumina as well, but last tests years ago turned out, the lumina iso was bigger.

In my view, the hurdle arch set for the user is they have no installer.
This has both good positive and negative points.
Positive, users have to read basics, I like it, on the negative, it shies users away from trying.
Hence an lxqt iso exists on artix, which serves as install media and little swiss army knive as rescue system.

It comes in handy to have a small system with an installer, as soon as you want to deploy the system on more than one computer.
I also recently swapped a new ssd in a laptop, and the install was terribly fast, as opposed to not being lazy and do it manually which takes more time I didn't have.

Thats just my own opinion, other team members might see it differently.

Reply #11
Well that is a good explanation, Unfortunately ex Manjaro users don't see things like we do they expect Artix to be Manjaro without systemd. They as you already know have a resistance to learn or help themselves.

As long as both install methods are available that should be fine for all needs.
I used the live disk the other day as well but reality it did not save any time in fact it cost me time, as i had to update
over 400mb then remove  LXQT to install JWM in a clean environment.

Reply #12
To be fair i remember when i first found Artix i think that was November/October 2018 today i think that was the best thing i have ever found on internet, these were happy months for me because of what i have discovered.
And i was sure that Artix Linux has the same way of installation that normal Arch has. But i was like damn i wanna try it so badly and install it so just i decided to note everything down and then i have noticed that there is graphical user installer and i can download .iso with lxQt. I was very surprised and installation took about 3 minutes!!!! That still is unbelievable to me hahah.

So from my own experience i can say that lxqt .iso is for people who are for example beginners in linuxing world but there is something else in my case as well, it's wireless connection and adapters i have in my laptop they're tricky and unstable, unreliable.
But if i had normal wired connection i'd definitely go for installing minimal .iso i don't think it is that hard anyways i think it's just partitioning, choosing /root /home folder and swap memory, i am not sure what /boot is for though. Then installation, update perhaps configurations done. I think installing linux using just terminal is much more interesting than manjaro/antergos way.
It makes you to think for yourself choose what you wanna choose on your own device. You also have more control because you know what you have on it, and also it teaches you more.

At the moment i trust Artix devs more than myself but i am writing from LXDE at the moment, i have got newest lxqt iso installed though ;D.
And thanks by the way, because thanks to linux i got into books linux has been helping me with changing so many things for better, especially to become better person, stop playing windows games (well you know i mean these online ones steam etc.), read more books have more time for myself and feel better mentally.
So to be honest i think installing KDE on artix is very easy. After you install it you may want to look into configuration files, choose new key bindings etc. etc. i have had KDE before however i prefer more lightweigh desktop approach. Still i think it's nice to try new, different things and see how they operate, learn from them instead of sticking just to one thing when lots of different are available and easy to access.

Reply #13
So to be honest i think installing KDE on artix is very easy. After you install it you may want to look into configuration files, choose new key bindings etc. etc. i have had KDE before however i prefer more lightweigh desktop approach. Still i think it's nice to try new, different things and see how they operate, learn from them instead of sticking just to one thing when lots of different are available and easy to access.
That is precisely why installing Plasma on your own is best for me. You can install a very lightweight Plasma should you choose. I am currently running Plasma on a 10 or so year old dell inspiron 1525 with a pentium dual core w/3Gb of ram....and it works quite well.
I don't mind lightweight, but I still want ease of configuration and full functionality....hard to beat Plasma for me. :)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #14

I did that at Woodstock... never again