Skip to main content
Topic: Merging Artix-s6 over Obarun? (Read 3801 times) previous topic - next topic

Merging Artix-s6 over Obarun?

Yes i've found an Artix-like distro named Obarun, they only serve s6 init, but are missing very very much packages, and the rest are almost what Artix is doing. Are the Artix teams interested in merging Obarun under Artix-s6? :)
:) AMD APU R4750G Zen2 Lucienne-G GCN Vega8 :) ASRock DeskMini X300 AMD edition :) 48GB SoDiMM DDR4 RAM’s
:) Samsung 980PRO NVMe SSD 1.82TiB (nvme0n1; with 867GiB ZPool) :) Samsung 970EVO+ NVMe SSD 1.82TiB (nvme1n1; with 963GiB ZPool)
:) Samsung 860QVO 2.5’’ SSD 3.63TiB (sda; with 2TiB ZPool) :) Transcend 220Q 2.5’’ SSD 1.82TiB (sdb; w/o ZPool)
:) AOC 2K QHD LED IPS screen

Re: Merging Artix-s6 over Obarun?

Reply #1
O dear you did not look very hard, Apart from both being based on Arch they are chalk and cheese.
Obarun is just a hobby, it is totally systemd free and not meant for a daily driver

Reply #2
I know that @fungalnet loves Obarun so perhaps he can say something about this :P

Reply #3

What are you saying young man?  Apart from some systemd guys, red-hat, who admits that making a distro or any linux software is more than a hobby?  And who says anyone's hobby is less important than anything else in their life.  I remember how certain people felt about bikes for some small period of their life (decades?).  If obarun is a hobby what is artix, or void, or antix/mx, or adelie? 

I am not ashamed to say for personal use I use obarun for almost 2 years now.  I do use artix for certain things, but my main system is obarun.

I am in no position to present or defend obarun, but according to the developer's own words Obarun is not a distro, Artix is.
Obarun is just a wrapper over arch, it is Arch without systemd.  It has a different approach to the same task about systemd, maybe more hard-core, but it is because it is not a distro.  Obarun builds very few pieces of arch software that can run without their systemd/libsystemd dependencies. 

they only serve s6 init, but are missing very very much packages

What doesn't run on Obarun?   I recently found that pacaur's new update requires libsystemd deep into its source code (actually a dependency of it does).  Who gives a damn when there are many other aur/pacman wrappers that work.
I'd really like to know what doesn't run, because it is easy to just throw words out in the air but they better be supported by facts.

Are we comparing init systems and service management?  I am not in capacity to compare, I just take experts criticism on each one for granted.  If we are comparing a fixed bicycle to a ZZR1400/ZX14 I can get involved.  Yes, there can be advantages to a fixed gear bicycle too.

Again, Obarun is a wrapper over arch.  It works over Manjaro, Archlabs, ...  and over artix, why not?  You want to use Artix's substitute for libsystemd, it is there, obarun can't stop you.  As my site reveals I have done so many conversions from any arch based system to obarun I'm tired of it.  It is a boring simple procedure.  Adding s6 and pacman over void, that was challenging, but it was worth it.  It has been updated weekly for many months and there are no problems with it.  It is a very portable system.  Skarnet that publishes S6 have their own servers and they all run on their own system based on musl.  This is how portable and universal this system is.

There are growing incompatibilities between artix and arch because artix is becoming a more complete distribution, it is not between artix and obarun.   Would it have been nice to merge into one?  No.  Either obarun wouldn't be obarun or artix wouldn't be artix anymore.  You can't merge two things that are fundamentally different.  Early on on the decision process they took different routes (elogind/consolekit being one of them).  If it didn't happen from the start it will never happen.  Obarun pre-existed artix.  It didn't pre-exist manjaro-openrc and arch-openrc.  Does it really matter anymore?

Reply #4
What are you saying young man?
 Apart from some systemd guys, red-hat, who admits that making a distro or any linux software is more than a hobby?  And who says anyone's hobby is less important than anything else in their life.  I remember how certain people felt about bikes for some small period of their life (decades?).  If obarun is a hobby what is artix, or void, or antix/mx, or adelie? 

I What's with the young man bit?.
Obarun is a hobby Eric told me himself he does not have the time to keep it maintained as it should be that is not putting Obaron down its a great project that is why I helped him it with  JWM  before you even knew about Obaron.

That is what I do help then disappear as I don't want to get involved. I don;t even ask for thanks I just want to be a user nothing more, The Architect project killed any enthusiasm with Linux its devs and users for me.

Artix is a great project  for me its as stable as a rock no update problems but then its about 5 years since a had a Arch update problem, Its about understanding the system you are on that is why I like Arch based systems.

Reply #5

I am OK with everything else you said, don't underestimate hobbyists yet though, and you didn't explain the difference with non hobbyists.
As for the young man bit goes to "don't get too cocky with that Boneville of yours, my w650 will beat you to the cafe, young man"  ;)

Reply #6
I'm a Norton fan boy please Bonneville were just a myth bit like Systemd made lots of promises then failed to deliver Ha Ha.

Eric is just A nice Guy I remember him on the Arch forums But he is Paroniod with his dislike for systemd.
We need people like Eric, Artoo and the rest of the Artix team and their passion to stop Linux going down one road.
Linux is about choice always has been always will be.

I had fun with S6 its a great init even faster than runit it boots JWM faster on a spinner than JWM with systemd on a SSD.
 I must revisit Obarun  some time, just been to busy the last year with real life it has to take priority.

Arch was and I still consider it a hobby based distribution, a few friends got together made a Distro tailored to their needs, then said hey man if you want to use it that's fine, if you want to change it go f##k yourself and that statement has stood the change of time.

But systemd is a one way street and Arch has followed that road,

But its still the best core of any Linux distribution so i have to salute them and use Arch packages against my better judgement for time being.