Skip to main content
Topic: who owns rendom-seed (Read 1274 times) previous topic - next topic

who owns rendom-seed

I know of pacman -Qo **filename** and pacman -Fo which I believe does the same thing but searches the repository, not just installed pkgs.  Neither returns an owner of /var/lib/random-seed

I suspect it is a python related file but which,where,how,what ..?

Re: who owns rendom-seed

Reply #2
very confusing results, between my old openrc installation switched to runit, a newer runit installation, and your late openrc mate live image.  Also differences with artix-runit and void-runit.
The file is produced during init for the rwfs-random process, in some as /var/lib/random-seed in others as /var/lib/misc/random-seed, some make it into a 1/2 MB file, some as a 4MB, some don't make it at all???  If something changes in the init system in reference to this file this zombie file is left in the system from before the change? 

Reply #3
very confusing results, between my old openrc installation switched to runit, a newer runit installation, and your late openrc mate live image.  Also differences with artix-runit and void-runit.
The file is produced during init for the rwfs-random process, in some as /var/lib/random-seed in others as /var/lib/misc/random-seed, some make it into a 1/2 MB file, some as a 4MB, some don't make it at all???

I don't know about OpenRC but both Void and Artix uses the same command and file (/var/lib/random-seed and not /var/lib/misc/random-seed), the difference between filesize probably comes from /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize, which is parsed.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #4
I don't know about OpenRC but both Void and Artix uses the same command and file (/var/lib/random-seed and not /var/lib/misc/random-seed), the difference between filesize probably comes from /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize, which is parsed.

https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/init.d/urandom.in#L12

Default is /var/lib/misc/random-seed on openrc.

Reply #5
Maybe 4KB difference but maybe you can remember to add it somehow to artix-sysvcompat or somewhere so when one replaces the one with the other the old file is erased.  Otherwise there will be two. 

In both I think the init runs a dd command where it creates a new one with urandom as input and random-seed as output and somehow this is a source of random digits for various tasks, like creating new uuid's.