Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED/PEBCAK] Reverting Artix-Dark KDE Theme (Read 6506 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Xfce, GNOME3, Lxqt, MATE Leftovers that Pollute Default Plasma

Reply #15
Hello everybody,

I recently installed Artix from the weekly image "plasma-runit-20200713-x86_64". Yes, these folders and files are on live iso and you find them also on your PC when you install Artix. As far as I can remember (yes, I'm getting old  ;) ) only ~/.config is affected. Imho no big deal at all - removing them takes about 30 - 60 seconds. Nonetheless, not having them there in the first place would be definitely a nice option too  ;)

Re: Reverting Hardcoded Artix-Dark KDE Theme

Reply #16
You should search mrlova's posts and read them all - he appeared and complained about everything and anything quite extravagantly. It wasn't that he was wrong, he was just - well, read the posts! So don't take this too seriously, I doubt even mrlova did.  :D I'm pretty sure he got an explanation how to get rid of the Artix theme at some point too. And there's no guarantee this problem is the same, it sounds more like a hardware related graphics issue causing buggy behaviour if only some people experience it, while mrlova just hated the theme as far as I could tell. If you have an issue it's probably best to move on from this and open a new thread, you will be helped I'm sure. I originally installed from base and have no Artix themes with XFCE and MATE currently installed, it's not compulsory, just remove the packages if required (I never installed them, the desktops don't depend on them) and any residual config and run the plain desktop adding whatever eyecandy you prefer.

Reply #17
Yeah I would agree installing extra configs/themes that aren't relevant to the actual installed desktop should not be done. No idea how the graphical installer works so I don't know if this is an easy or difficult fix.

Reply #18
Hi,

We will have to check, why plasma is carrying settings for other DE's, when @nous is back.

Regards

Reply #19
Yeah I would agree installing extra configs/themes that aren't relevant to the actual installed desktop should not be done. No idea how the graphical installer works so I don't know if this is an easy or difficult fix.

Hi Dudemanguy

It is not a matter of the graphical installer

Regards

Reply #20
Don't know exactly in this case, but installers often have a package which uninstalls itself from a "first boot" service which has scripts to set things up. Files and folders in the homedir are often created by useradd which has some standard ones defined in /etc/default/useradd and /etc/skel
Code: [Select]
$ ls -a /etc/skel
.  ..  .bash_logout  .bash_profile  .bashrc
So the installer package might put some things in there for the installation. But some installs copy the iso image across after configuring it in the live setup, and you can get relics accidentally copied from the original set up, like I saw one Uplos iso that had old log files from the creators system in /var/log. If you can see them when you run the live iso they are probably copied, if not they might be created by calamares (which I think is used) and related install scripts. If you loop mount the iso image you can look at the install packages, also by booting the live iso.

Reply #21
The ONLY truly supported ISO is the base one. Everybody, please read that again.

ALL other ISOs share a common set of settings to ensure uniformity and compliance with the default Artix dark theme.

If users don't like the dark theme, they have 2 options:
 1. Install from base
 2. Install from a DE ISO and remove the theme and its accompanying settings themselves

Option #1 will grant you unconditional (well, almost) support from the Artix team, including the Jedi Council itself; most of them don't like the plethora of installation ISOs anyway.

Option #2's steps have been explained many times over. Commenting out QT_* variables in /etc/environment is the first. Deleting Plasma/LXQt settings from your home/.config directory and starting afresh is the last one. There's hardly any need to uninstall the artix-presets-* and artix-dark-theme packages.

In case somebody missed it:
The ONLY truly supported ISO is the base one. Everybody, please read that again.

Reply #22
Let me repeat myself one last time, this doesn't go to @Xitra specifically but I tend to dislike the use of words like "shit" in our forum, especially in capitals.

The dotfiles you find in your homedir are copied over from /etc/skel on user creation, for every user. They are part of the Artix presets that go with the DE ISOs. They are purposely put there. They will not be removed. If one doesn't like it, they can either install a base ISO or promptly uninstall the relevant packages and remove the dotfiles from their home directories. It's DEAD SIMPLE.

If we make it any dumber, we'll have to revert to systemd. Duh!

Reply #23

In case somebody missed it:

Hello I know that truly supported ISO is the base one but I think you should clarify that in Download page. I installed from base ISO because I'd rather to install the packages I want but when I read the page I though you support all the ISOS.
Artix Linux Colombia

Reply #24
I concur. The download page is not clear enough on the subject.

Reply #26
About these broken and non-reversible themes... since KDE is unsupported, why don't you give users what they want? Just don't change KDE. Since you don't support it, then you seem don't know anything about it, so its very simple don't change it.

Its so easy mr nous:

"I 'nous' don't know anything about KDE"* *= "I don't support it"= "Then don't brake it by your changes"

** seems that nous know so much about KDE that when he changed it, he broke it (and then claimed he doesn't support it, so if you don't support it then you don't change it. Give the users and community stock KDE*** without your broken stuff. Its that simple).

*** exactly what they want, not you, who broke it.

PS. No user will be happy when he or she downloads Artix and is immediately faced with broken system that she or he can't customize and when they try it will leave system completely broken (to the point of white text on white and black text on black).

Then it seems like all desktop environments were installed in one system and then some of them where removed but all weird configs stayed. That is completely unclean and brakes the system. So if the user is going to install some software from other desktop env., for some unknown reason, she or he will have certain apps broken too? (by miss-configured leftovers from other desktop envs.? wtf?).

Who decides that some software should be configured this and that way in advance before the user installs them? What is going on? Is there any committee that decides how software should be configured before user installs it by himself/herself? Is there any table and FAQ or wiki that warns users that when they install certain software other pple have already made decision that it will be miss-configured in advance? Who made that decision? Shouldn't user expect software work the way as it was intended by its creators or there is a committee that decides to revert those changes in advance? Doesn't Arch (your mother/upstream distro) state that they give users exactly what the creator of software made as soon as possible? Why brake it? Who made this decision? Was there any vote?

Reply #27
About these broken and non-reversible themes... since KDE is unsupported, why don't you give users what they want? Just don't change KDE. Since you don't support it, then you seem don't know anything about it, so its very simple don't change it.

Its so easy mr nous:

"I 'nous' don't know anything about KDE"* *= "I don't support it"= "Then don't brake it by your changes"

** seems that nous know so much about KDE that when he changed it, he broke it (and then claimed he doesn't support it, so if you don't support it then you don't change it. Give the users and community stock KDE*** without your broken stuff. Its that simple).

*** exactly what they want, not you, who broke it.

PS. No user will be happy when he or she downloads Artix and is immediately faced with broken system that she or he can't customize and when they try it will leave system completely broken (to the point of white text on white and black text on black).

Then it seems like all desktop environments were installed in one system and then some of them where removed but all weird configs stayed. That is completely unclean and brakes the system. So if the user is going to install some software from other desktop env., for some unknown reason, she or he will have certain apps broken too? (by miss-configured leftovers from other desktop envs.? wtf?).

Who decides that some software should be configured this and that way in advance before the user installs them? What is going on? Is there any committee that decides how software should be configured before user installs it by himself/herself? Is there any table and FAQ or wiki that warns users that when they install certain software other pple have already made decision that it will be miss-configured in advance? Who made that decision? Shouldn't user expect software work the way as it was intended by its creators or there is a committee that decides to revert those changes in advance? Doesn't Arch (your mother/upstream distro) state that they give users exactly what the creator of software made as soon as possible? Why brake it? Who made this decision? Was there any vote?

stop screaming here. No one forces you to use any ISO with a custom theme. Install base-iso and install and fine-tune what you need via pacman -S. Like in archlinux.

Reply #28
Hi,
Just noticed there are two issues reported under one post. Should this:
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,1380.msg11174.html#msg11174
go under separate own topic outside messed up/broken KDE Theme?
It's called topic merging.

It's not broken. PEBCAK.

Reply #29
Artix is after all, "Arch Linux w/o systemd", is it not? This type of vindictive complaining and whining about "broken" themes, or even "KDE is completely broken" would certainly not get much "hand holding" advice from the Arch community. I think all those who have offered help here on these issues have gone a considerable distance to do just exactly that. There comes a point that the user has to assume some responsibility, and should at the very least be civil and not just simply "demand" that Artix has to do this or that to fix their issues.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.