Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Install notes : 20200425 (Read 1111 times) previous topic - next topic

Install notes : 20200425

>>> artix-xfce-openrc-20200420-x86_64.iso <<<

Installed on hardware. Newly created partitions.
/home/xyz/.config directoy contains traces of previous  lxqt and plasma installs.
Attachments show tree and installed apps after first boot and pre-upgrade, even pre-sync.

>>> artix-base-openrc-20200324.iso <<<
Used this iso before and gave no problem whatsoever apart from being a bit outdated.
Unable to create locales.
Had to create locale.conf manually iot have locale and stop apps from nagging.

Re: Install notes : 20200425

Reply #1
>>> artix-xfce-openrc-20200420-x86_64.iso <<<
Installed on hardware. Newly created partitions.
/home/xyz/.config directoy contains traces of previous  lxqt and plasma installs.
Attachments show tree and installed apps after first boot and pre-upgrade, even pre-sync.
The XFCE ISO is still testing, however those aren't traces of Qt installs but presets needed for uniform GTK/Qt look. They are provided by artix-qt-presets, lie in /etc/skel/ and copied over to newly created user accounts. If you don't want/need/like them, just remove the aforementioned package. It's also safe to remove the settings from your ~/.config, unless you intend to use the default Artix dark theme.

>>> artix-base-openrc-20200324.iso <<<
Used this iso before and gave no problem whatsoever apart from being a bit outdated.
Unable to create locales.
Had to create locale.conf manually iot have locale and stop apps from nagging.
Base is base for a reason: https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Installation#Localization

Thanks for reporting.

Reply #2
Thks for the info concerning xfced-iso ; will stick to base in future.
Dumping what I do not want is too error-prone ; better not install to begin with.

Editing locale.gen and running locale-gen, as you point out,  does not generate locales.
Only way of stopping apps of nagging about lack of locales is by manually creating /etc/locale.conf.

Reply #3
I don't have an  /etc/locale.conf, only an edited /etc/locale.gen, just uncomment the ones you want then run locale-gen as root? This is not a fresh install, perhaps there is some other issue involved, but I haven't noticed any apps nag me without that file.
I think my default locale is set here though:
Code: [Select]
/etc/profile.d/customlocale.sh
#!/bin/sh
export LANG="xx_XX.UTF-8"

Reply #4
My bad.

I always assumed locale-gen would create  /etc/locale.conf ; it does not and it is not supposed to.
Instead it (re)generates /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive ; this file will always contain C  and  POSIX whether you run locale-gen or not..

Apps need locale and apparently use /etc/ locale.conf  for this purpose.

Creating  /etc/locale.conf solved my problem , if same locale is used consistently one single line suffices 
LANG=YourLocale

Reply #5
Yes, I think your method is the sensible recommended Arch way. /etc/profile.d/locale.sh looks in /etc/locale.conf and the only advantage of my way is it's incompatible with systemctl and systemd, but it exports LANG anyway.  ;D
The apps don't look in a file, they look for the LANG environment variable, echo "$LANG" in a terminal to see the value. You can temporarily reset it to another if you have more than one locale generated to try an app in another language e.g $ LANG=de_DE.utf8 ls --help