Skip to main content
Topic: Fixing Artix Updates Manjaro Style (for the Artix Devs) (Read 2374 times) previous topic - next topic

Fixing Artix Updates Manjaro Style (for the Artix Devs)

Hi,

Issues/Rationale:
1. Mirrors are very slow
2. Mirrors are not updated whatsoever
3. Mirrors are only partially updated (may break system)
4. No info anywhere which mirrors are up to date
5. No info anywhere what mirrors are up and running/working
6. Without 4 & 5 user doesn't know which mirror to use
7. Even if the user somehow knew which mirror to use, (s)he would have to manually adjust pacman config files (very cumbersome)

Fix:

I know that it may not be popular what I sugesst, but Manjaro devs solved the above issues. Before this tool from Manjaro it was possible to have partial updates and messed up system or being forced to manually dig into pacman configs and guessing which repo is up to date (already fully synced) and is responsive and not slow.This tool is called $pacman-mirrors.

If you check its development its very active. I tested it on Manjaro and must say I am very impressed.. It would be very nice to have it on Artix.

Quick Tip How to Use:
ctrl+alt+T
$ su -
$ pacman-mirrors
$ paman -Syyu --noconfirm
$ exit

Re: Fixing Artix Updates Manjaro Style (for the Artix Devs)

Reply #1
Hello,

Manjaro style is not the right one for Artix.

Reply #2
Hi,

Issues/Rationale:
1. Mirrors are very slow
2. Mirrors are not updated whatsoever
3. Mirrors are only partially updated (may break system)
4. No info anywhere which mirrors are up to date
5. No info anywhere what mirrors are up and running/working
6. Without 4 & 5 user doesn't know which mirror to use
7. Even if the user somehow knew which mirror to use, (s)he would have to manually adjust pacman config files (very cumbersome)

Fix:

I know that it may not be popular what I sugesst, but Manjaro devs solved the above issues. Before this tool from Manjaro it was possible to have partial updates and messed up system or being forced to manually dig into pacman configs and guessing which repo is up to date (already fully synced) and is responsive and not slow.This tool is called $pacman-mirrors.

If you check its development its very active. I tested it on Manjaro and must say I am very impressed.. It would be very nice to have it on Artix.

Quick Tip How to Use:
ctrl+alt+T
$ su -
$ pacman-mirrors
$ paman -Syyu --noconfirm
$ exit
Then just use Manjaro and stop complaining my friend

Reply #4
You can consider artix as an arch linux without systemd.
Manjaro is manjaro, and artix won't become a manjaro without systemd.

Reply #5
There's nothing wrong with any of Artix's mirrors. They all update normally as expected. There was a problem with Arch's mirrors for a while for some users (including me actually) but Arch updated their defaults to something else back in like April. Also, you can use rankmirrors for testing connection speeds.

Reply #8
The question is why are the servers limited to 100Mbit?

Reply #9
The question is why are the servers limited to 100Mbit?
the connection of ftp servers of our mirrors is limited. Because you are not alone in internet and not alone connect to this ftp server. The more users connected to the ftp server, the slower the connection. Dozens of other projects are hosted on ftp servers. not just artixlinux.

What is "not slow" for you? Just curious, i never had connection faster than 2Mbit/s

2 MB/s is good speed for ftp server  ;)

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/

we really can't pay thousand of euros for our own ftp servers...

Reply #10
Of course I'm not alone but every other Ditro can provide a faster mirror.

And the mirrors are not yours, or did you told them to limit the net speed?

Reply #11
Of course I'm not alone but every other Ditro can provide a faster mirror.

And the mirrors are not yours, or did you told them to limit the net speed?

we say nobody nothing, we use available mirrors where they will accpeted us. like most Linux distributions. see previous link

https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/ - alpine, arch, debian, fedora, manjaro, opensuse, mint, ubuntu, artix - they all distros use this one mirror (server) for hosting...

their mirror - their rules - their connection speed

Reply #12
Not sure if this applies with mirrors, but ISP's use website caching to speed access. So if a distro is very popular and there was a lot of update traffic in your locale your ISP might (possibly) cache those contents geographically locally to you, so you wouldn't be accessing the original mirror at all, but a copy on some other web server. And I'm not sure it applies to the Artix mirrors but some hosting services, like Cloudflare I think, are multinational so a single web address might resolve to one nearest you, it wouldn't actually be a single server in one location.

Reply #14
I don’t agree with this; no need of trying to push others away

I'm not bothered what you may think,

Artix is for users that have some idea what they are using, Its quite simple to work out i you look.

Customer I just bought this bright new Ferrari why is the paint as bright as McLaren,
why does it not go as fast,
blaa blaa

Ferrari then Ferrari is not for you buy a McLaren .

Some users just nit pit do not want solutions to not want to use Artix  accept it we do not need those types Artix is a better project than that.