Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] My graphic environments (almost) always break on my laptop (Read 547 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] My graphic environments (almost) always break on my laptop

This post will be on both Reddit Linux4noobs and official forum of Artix.
A LITTLE BIT OF CONTEXT
So, I’m a new inexperienced Linux enthusiast, started my journey from wiping out Windows 7 and using Linux Mint on my main PC. Everything worked great, but I didn’t like unneeded programs that was there, so I jumped on a Debian Stable that I still use.
Then, I’ve got an old Dell Inspiron 3542 with Pentium 3558U and a Windows 10 on it.
ACTUAL PROBLEM
I’ve wiped out this crappy system that barely moved at all and tried to install Manjaro with KDE. At first, everything worked great, install continued without any problems, I rebooted, and for some reason my graphical environment just broke. Login screen worked, but after registration windows and bars started to blink and I couldn’t open anything other than console through Crtl +Alt +T.
I’ve tried reinstalling Manjaro with Xfce, same problem. Than I installed Debian 10 stable and everything worked fine.
After a while, I wanted to install Artix because I thought that I’m ready to do that and experience some possible problems in a process, just for learning Linux. At first, I tried to install it with preinstalled KDE, but after I ran “pacman -Syyu” it couldn’t continue because there was a package with broken PGP signature called “Blinken”.
At first I tried to delete cache, synchronize time and PGP signatures as Arch and Artix wiki recommended, but it didn’t work. After a little bit of googling and experimenting I just wrote it as an exception for updating and installing in /etc/pacman.conf.
Then I rebooted, and KDE broke again. I’ve reinstalled Artix with Cinnamon and still, everything broke after updating and rebooting. And finally, I’ve tried to install Artix with Runit and KDE from base image as it was in this guide (https://youtu.be/mIpZA6z-Ctk), but with a home directory.
Everything worked fine, until I launched last command that started desktop manager. KDE still broke the same way, even without rebooting. After that, I’ve noticed that this troubleshooting section of Artix wiki (https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Troubleshooting) revealed a dbus-related problem and I tried to use commands that was there for changing dbus ID. It helped a little bit, at least a background image sometimes appears, but it didn’t fix all other problems.
What can you suggest me to do for fixing my broken Artix KDE?

Re: My graphic environments (almost) always break on my laptop

Reply #1
Would it please be possible you format this wall of text a bit and make it readable by inserting paragraphs?

[SOLVED] Re: My graphic environments (almost) always break on my laptop

Reply #2
ohh, yes, indeed, blinken was broken. Fixed!