Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Virtualbox installation- Shared folder does not mount  (Read 3496 times) previous topic - next topic

Virtualbox installation- Shared folder does not mount

Hi,

I installed all three versions that comes desktop environment. While many features from Virtualbox guest add-on works, such as sharing of clipboard, and changing of screen resolution, I can’t get Shared Folder to auto mount. Any advice?

I tried re-installed from Virtualbox iso. It does not work. I lack the skills to debug the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Virtualbox installation- Shared folder does not mount

Reply #1
I almost didn't understand what it was about from your explanation ... so I'll just give a link to the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox and comment that the shared folder works (I use it).

Reply #2
I am sorry for not being clear. My VirtualBox host is Windows. I likerun  Artix in a vm, to access folders in Windows via Shared Folder.

I did look at the wiki.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox. There isn't any information that can help me on Shared Folder.

I search the Wiki for the work "Shared" and landed on 5 locations.  There is a SSH solution but that is not what I am looking for...

Addition info since the start of this thread:
I tried other Arch based Linus.  Installation of virtaulbox-guest-utils and/or virtualbox-guest-dkms does not work. However, direct  installation from the iso works. However, I can't get it to work on Artix with OpenRC.... I confirmed vboxadd and vboxadd-service is in /etc/init.d.

Reply #3
Not sure about VM's, not using one, perhaps there is some VM easier method you are talking about, but if you are dual booting Windows & Linux you can set up something in /etc/fstab to automatically mount whatever Windows directories you would like to access from Linux. These can be set up rw or ro as you desire. There are some oddball Windows advanced filesystem layouts or something (can't remember what they are called, but anyway the directories don't really exist unless Windows is running so you can't mount them from Linux) that might cause problems though.

Reply #4
 I need to run this is Virtualbox as a vm. Shared folder is a very important feature. 

I have tried installing  virtaulbox-guest-utils and/or virtualbox-guest-dkms. Neither of these works.
If I install directly from Virtualbox iso, feactures such as sharing of clipboard, and changing of screen resolution works but not Shared Folder.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Reply #6
To get full functionality, your user must be a member of the 'vboxusers' group.

Reply #7
I have made some progress, but not home yet....

I used the OpenRC version, install Virtualbox addon via the iso. This created two services, vboxadd and vboxadd-service. Both these files are in /etc/init.d/ and /etc/runlevel/default. However, when I reboot, vboxadd-service does not start.  If I start it manually "/etc/init.d/vboxadd-service start", Shared Folder will appear.  So my question is, how can I start this service? I already "rc-update add vboxadd-service"

Here are some information from others that may also have Shared Folder issue.
I looked at other Arch linux that uses systemd, installing "virtualbox-guest-utils" will install two services, vbocdrmclient.service and vboxservice.service.  This works for the standard kernel and harden kernel. However, ""virtualbox-guest-utils" on Artix does not install any services.

Arch linux has a virtualbox-guest-modules-artix. I suppose this is needed.  I did install but it did not install any services..

Reply #8
did you installed https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/virtualbox-ext-oracle/ ? if not, install it, it can help you. IN setting you must define which shared folders you want have in windows (like in my setting https://i.imgur.com/J2CoM2O.png)
Thanks. I tried. It did install a few staff including virtualbox host. However, it did not install any services and my problem remians...

Reply #12
Shared folders work in my boxes, without having any services installed. I only have these modules loaded:
Code: [Select]
vboxnetflt
vboxnetadp
vboxdrv
vboxvideo
vboxsf
vboxguest
You can modprobe any missing on your side an see which one does the trick, but judging by the names I'd guess it's vboxsf.

Reply #13
 have installed virtualbox-guest-modules-artix and virtualbox-guest-utils.  With this, none of the modules you mentioned are installed.   I also connot find these modules in /lib/modules/5.9.14-artix1-1 folder.

May I know how do you get these modules installed in the first place?

Reply #14
vboxsf.ko.gz is in /usr/lib/modules/5.5.10-artix1-1/extramodules and belongs to virtualbox-guest-modules-artix-6.1.4-8-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz in my system.