Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] rEFInd can't install (Read 1976 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] rEFInd can't install

Quick question. Why can't i install refind on artix linux ?
sudo pacman -S refind-install
sudo pacman -S refind
sudo pacman -S refind-efi
sudo refind-install

Doesn't work.
Am i missing something.
it just say target not found

Re: rEFInd can't install

Reply #1
extra/refind 0.13.2-1
    An EFI boot manager
It's in extra, so you need to enable the Arch repos extra, multilib (if you have lib32 enabled) and community as shown here:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories
There's a few other refind things in the AUR too if you needed more.

Reply #2
Thank you, after installing and enabling all those packages it works.

Reply #3
extra/refind 0.13.2-1
    An EFI boot manager
It's in extra, so you need to enable the Arch repos extra, multilib (if you have lib32 enabled) and community as shown here:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories
There's a few other refind things in the AUR too if you needed more.
Is the rEFInd in extra the special one with Artix=Logo? and
Is there the possibility to install "the right" rEFInd by OS-Installing, I mean replace GRUB with rEFInd?

Thanks

Reply #4
The rEFInd package in the Omniverse repository does have the added Artix logo.
It's also possible to leave Grub installed when using rEFInd.

Re: [SOLVED] rEFInd can't install

Reply #5

What is the differences between rEFInd packages from Omniverse and Arch extra  repositories? Only logo?

Reply #6
Hi Artist,
thanks at first for your work on github, thank you very much.

No, I have no interest to hold a (30 years old) grub conflicting with ZFS, need special update-scripts etc., etc..

I would appreciate if by the iso-installer with calamares I have the possibility to choose rEFInd instead of grub.

By the way, could you maybe include [zfs-efi-drivers](https://efi.akeo.ie/downloads/efifs-1.8/x64/) to refind?
Or do you prefer to discuss this on your github account?

P.S. Calamares is trying to add [support for ZFS](https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/533)

Thanks again for your attention.

Reply #7
You can use pacman to remove grub and install any other bootloader. I have made a guide on how to install Syslinux.

Default boot loader is GRUB, however, as in the vast majority of distros. GRUB supports the widest array of systems, and users who need esoteric/advanced features that other bootloaders provide can easily install them using pacman.

Reply #8
You can use pacman to remove grub and install any other bootloader. I have made a guide on how to install Syslinux.

Default boot loader is GRUB, however, as in the vast majority of distros. GRUB supports the widest array of systems, and users who need esoteric/advanced features that other bootloaders provide can easily install them using pacman.
1. Grub is here out of topic.
2. Grub need a special script to install and update if ZFS is present, where to find this script or if future versions of grub will delete it is not known.
3. Grub developers react very slow in the past until today. OpenZFS/zfs-linux is already 10 years old and Grub don't support it yet well.
4. If Artix want remain flexible and give the user the choice (not only for init but even for) bootloader, than a bootloader choice in the (at least in the GUI/Calamares) installer should be present.
5. ZFS is the future, grub not (see point 3.) also cause of missing graphic which already in UEFI-BIOS present. Basically, no click, no choice and no 100% ZFS-support ==> no future. Even choice of rEFInd backgrounds and icons should be (selectable by mouse-click) in rEFInd-Settings.
6. I don't intent to make (again) a discussion as 10 years ago with Unity under Ubuntu.
7. Grub is not standard (see efibootmanager, systemd-boot, zfsbootmenu). Easy handling (GUI instead of CLI), choice, functionality, reliability, security (encryption), comfort and flexibility are the qualities assure the future.

Even if 'out of topic', if you/we continue to do what other Distros does, than is no reason to install an Artix instead of Manjaro or Arco or even FreeBSD. The answers to the questions we should find are:
1. Why FreeBSD gain territory in server-sector?
2. Why Manjaro and Arco gain territory on desktop-sector?
3. Why Artix gain territory on non-systemd OS?
4. What have you/we to do to enhance Artix and make it leading?
5. Which features have you/we to improve to reach the target?
6. Why is 'TrueNAS Scale' based on Debian?

Here my answers:
1. ZFS, encryption, solidity.
2. Easy to install, use and best drivers, graphic.
3. Devuan and Gento are no user-friendly.
4. Select best feature and let falling down other that not working or too complicated (vintage).
5. Make Artix-Linux easy to use even for children befor Windows 12 appear.
6. Assure zfs-linux package support actual kernel 100%.