Skip to main content
Topic: The message "Loading sysctl settings [busy]" is displayed at startup (Read 667 times) previous topic - next topic

The message "Loading sysctl settings [busy]" is displayed at startup

I have installed Artix Base Runit.
Even though this is my first run immediately after installation, I get "Loading sysctl settings [busy]" at startup.
It's kind of weird. Is there anything I can do to normalize this message?

After deleting /usr/lib/sysctl.d, this message was no longer displayed.
However, I can't do any configuration with it.

Re: The message "Loading sysctl settings [busy]" is displayed at startup

Reply #1
It's a normal behaviour for Artix runit scripts. The inscription "busy" changes to "done" via stage 1 scripts, but if the program writes something into console, it becomes yet impossible for the script to change the inscription, because the cursor leaves the due string. Perhaps it can be overcome, but I'm not so closely familiar with bash scripting.

Reply #2
It's a normal behaviour for Artix runit scripts. The inscription "busy" changes to "done" via stage 1 scripts, but if the program writes something into console, it becomes yet impossible for the script to change the inscription, because the cursor leaves the due string. Perhaps it can be overcome, but I'm not so closely familiar with bash scripting.
Hmmm, even though there is no real harm, it looks bad.
This bad look does not happen in Void, which also uses Runit.

Reply #3
Hmmm, even though there is no real harm, it looks bad.
This bad look does not happen in Void, which also uses Runit.
This is related not to runit itself, but to the system environment, namely init scripts written in bash. Void and Artix use different loading scripts for stage 1.