Skip to main content
Topic: Manjaro/Artix where are spanish peoples? (Read 5594 times) previous topic - next topic

Manjaro/Artix where are spanish peoples?

Hi, i heard that Manjaro migrate to Artix where are the spanish guys from the spanish forum at Manjaro?
Mate
Desktop: xfce

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7640G integrated graphics
GPU: AMD/ATI Trinity [Radeon HD 7640G]

Re: Manjaro/Artix where are spanish peoples?

Reply #1
I don't know if any spanish speaking people came over from Manjaro or not. I do speak spanish though just in case.
Chris Cromer

Reply #2
Hi cromer, I'm asking for spanish peoples thinking in the spanish forum at Manjaro and why there is no one of those guys here, we need here a forum in spanish too -- are you the only one here?.Well maybe they migrate to another place ... just asking ... Thanks!

by the way, i cleaned the system with bleachbit, as in debian, without to mark 'translations' and something is happening now, the LANG=C is not working anymore (?). I'm ...

Code: [Select]
# pacman -Syyu LANG=C
:: Sincronizando las bases de datos de los paquetes...
 system                   166.7 KiB   362K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 world                    427.4 KiB   427K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 galaxy                    65.6 KiB   364K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 extra                   1660.1 KiB   700K/s 00:02 [######################] 100%
 community                  4.2 MiB   737K/s 00:06 [######################] 100%
error: no se ha encontrado el objetivo: LANG=C
[kaos keos]# pacman -Syyu LANG=C
:: Sincronizando las bases de datos de los paquetes...
 system                   166.7 KiB   362K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 world                    427.4 KiB   792K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 galaxy                    65.6 KiB  1639K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 extra                   1660.1 KiB   589K/s 00:03 [######################] 100%
 community                  4.2 MiB   865K/s 00:05 [######################] 100%
error: no se ha encontrado el objetivo: LANG=C
[kaos keos]#
Mate

Reply #3
I think its a disadvantage as their are less people to help with problems and very biased in the way it groups people into categories users of other languages are then left out English should be the only  language on a international forum not split into sub forums And for every bodies info I live in Peru so not biased.

Reply #4
you think there will be less people to help with problems at the english forum, i don’t think so, since i saw many of these spanish peoples in manjaro going from one forum to the other trying to help, but IF in Artix ‘you’, or someone else, decide to remain keeping this forum in 'lingua franca', many peoples -- probably i will be included -- will dicide no to install Artix due to this limitation. I’m not agree with you.
Mate

Reply #5
I think its a disadvantage as their are less people to help with problems and very biased in the way it groups people into categories users of other languages are then left out English should be the only  language on a international forum not split into sub forums And for every bodies info I live in Peru so not biased.
Although I do partially agree, sometimes it is easier to explain a problem in your native language rather than a foreign language. There is already a German section here, so I don't see why a spanish section would be a problem as well.
Chris Cromer

Reply #6
1st nothing is up to me its up-to Artix. we are just users nothing more we can't make demands its not our distro.
 Remember the devs all speak English and come from different countries,
so in my opinion over many years its best to speak in one language then their are no translation problems.
God their are enough translation problems between English UK, and English US. My friend praised me using a US
phrase and then it was pointed out the phrase meant basically "ignorant bar####d in UK English. 

Reply #7
When I started this blog listed below in my signature, some of the first comments I received were obviously from spanish speaking users who were also on Parabola.  I am no native English speaker either, but I wouldn't know how to communicate about linux in my own language without using mostly English terminology.  The point made previously as making sense to use the most common denominator as a way to communicate rather than fragmenting into lingual subgroups talking about the same things makes perfect sense to me.

Imagine if a developer spoke 4 languages and knew the answer to a question appearing in 4 different subforums and had to respond 4 times.  Sometimes only developers can answer a question as they know first hand why there is a problem to begin with.    It is like medicine and medical students who are non-Greek-native speakers having to work 3 times as hard to memorize the terminology.  But then there are mushrooms that get latin names when they were documented in chinese medical books a millennium before Rome was built.

C'est la vie  or that's how the cookie crumbles

Reply #8
I don't see any problems in having a forum for spanish. The arguement for not having one based on the lack of terminology doesn't make any sense. People that speak other languages can still grasp the bulk of the terminology without needing a firm understanding of how the English language work; furthermore, I agree with what cromer said, it's often easier for people to trouble-shoot in their native tongue. As for the second arguement, about the extra workload a spanish forum might bring, developers aren't always obligated to respond to a topic on the spanish (or any other language) forum. If there is a sizable spanish speaking user base, then that user base can help each other out with or without the developers. We should give them a forum for them to help each other rather than enforcing an English only policy.

Reply #9
I don't think anyone has argued against a spanish board or any other of the 250 spoken tongues.  And since there already is a second language board already how can you claim there is English enforcement?  If you were to start a topic in Spanish in off-topic and that would show a large interest I bet the forum admins would notice and create space for you.  In any language communication takes place, discussion should be enriched, not ended with strong unsubstantiated statements.

Lighten-up

If
Code: [Select]
$ killall english
would work, the Irish would have put this command in the first line of the init system.

Reply #10
Although I do partially agree, sometimes it is easier to explain a problem in your native language rather than a foreign language. There is already a German section here, so I don't see why a spanish section would be a problem as well.

Agreed, non native language sometimes feels limited.

I propose we make a little poll to get some general info on current user language distribution.
Lets say, top 3 languages get their own sub forum, I would guess spanish will be among the top three.

Reply #11
Agreed, non native language sometimes feels limited.

I propose we make a little poll to get some general info on current user language distribution.
Lets say, top 3 languages get their own sub forum, I would guess spanish will be among the top three.
So in the poll which version of Spanish would it be Spanish, Spanish Latin American, Spanish catatonia, I do believe its the same for Portuguese and Portuguese Latin American,  

Reply #12
So in the poll which version of Spanish would it be Spanish, Spanish Latin American, Spanish catatonia, I do believe its the same for Portuguese and Portuguese Latin American,  
RIght now we have a nice mix of Spanish dialects just among the key members of artix.
Your Spanish is Latin American.
Mine is Spanish as a second language, I have lived in Chile for 7 years, so I speak "Latin American/Chilean/Broken Gringo" Spanish.
Our other dev, damnwidget speaks Spanish from Spain.

But in my opinion it is not that important which Spanish. Even in English we have English US, English GB, English AU, etc. However we treat all the different variations of English the same, we don't have forums here for a specific English, nor do we tell somebody to please speak in a certain English dialect.
Chris Cromer

Reply #13

But in my opinion it is not that important which Spanish. Even in English we have English US, English GB, English AU, etc. However we treat all the different variations of English the same, we don't have forums here for a specific English, nor do we tell somebody to please speak in a certain English dialect.

We could advance the selection a bit, say Frisian, Bavarian, Switzerdütsch, Silesian and couple of others, we gonna get a long option list. :D

Reply #14
We could advance the selection a bit, say Frisian, Bavarian, Switzerdütsch, Silesian and couple of others, we gonna get a long option list. :D
I want a pig latin forum.  :P
Chris Cromer