Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] WiFi Very Slow, Eth. Is OK (Read 4045 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] WiFi Very Slow, Eth. Is OK

I just installed yesterday and got WiFi and Eth. cable to work.
Eth. speed is OK, but WiFi is very slow (1.7Mbps)

Do I need another driver or change some settings?
System:  Kernel: linux-5.16.12.artix1-1 x86_64 , KDE Plasma 5.24.2, Lenovo G580
Dual Core  i5-3210M bits: 64, Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915
8 GB Ram - SSD: Samsung model: SSD 870 EVO (250 GiB), BTRFS (Root), EXT4(home)
Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter

Re: WiFi Very Slow, Eth. Is OK

Reply #1
Might have to do with your country's wireless regulations. If that's the case, it can be fixed by installing the crda package and telling your network manager what country you're in so it configures the wireless device appropriately.

For instance, country=uk on the top of wpa_supplicant.conf if you use it as your only network manager.

Reply #2
You may need broadcom wl driver. Install broadcom-wl-dkms from AUR.

Reply #3
Might have to do with your country's wireless regulations. If that's the case, it can be fixed by installing the crda package and telling your network manager what country you're in so it configures the wireless device appropriately.

For instance, country=uk on the top of wpa_supplicant.conf if you use it as your only network manager.

Thanks @capezotte
Country regulations? I don't get this point. I've been distro hopping on the same machine over the past couple months, Arch distros, DEB distros... even BSD, and I just came from Endeavour. WiFi was working flawlessly.

Just out of curiosity I'll look and see if the crda package can help.
Any other comments or suggestions before i install tt]crda[/tt]?
Dual Core  i5-3210M bits: 64, Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915

Reply #4
You may need broadcom wl driver. Install broadcom-wl-dkms from AUR.
Thanks @calvinh
Isn't it already installed (I assume). It is already working but very slow?
How can I know if it is installed already or not?

This is my device:
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: bcma-pci-bridge
           Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet driver: alx

Reply #6
mmm.. a bit techie for me but I noticed it says:
If you use broadcom-wl or another kernel release dependant variant (e.g. broadcom-wl-ckAUR), it may happen that kernel upgrades break wireless from time to time until the packages are in sync again.
which I'd like to avoid for sure.

Sorry, I'll appreciate if you guide me in simple English and ELI5! (Sorry a bit old man here)

UPDATE:
it says
will need the linux-headers package for the installed kernel(s) in order to build the module. Those packages are optional to the DKMS package and will need to be installed manually.
I tried:
sudo pacman -S  linux-headers
[sudo] password for limo:
warning: linux-headers-5.14.10.artix1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) linux-headers-5.14.10.artix1-1
But I am on LTS now.
So....?

Reply #7
Country regulations? I don't get this point.

It's explained in more detail on the Arch Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Wireless#Respecting_the_regulatory_domain

Basically how each country partititions RF spaces varies a little and by default it goes through a lowest-common-denominator setting which might not be the best. Though, I think @calvinh's explanation is more likely.

If you use broadcom-wl or another kernel release dependant variant (e.g. broadcom-wl-ckAUR), it may happen that kernel upgrades break wireless from time to time until the packages are in sync again.

What this means is that you must use the package from the official repository called linux, and boot with it, for the package called broadcom-wl to work. If you experiment with your kernel (changing to Linux-LTS or Linux-ZEN, compiling it yourself, etc.), it won't work.

However, there's broadcom-wl-dkms if you want -- the driver will be automatically built locally after every kernel update, which is a bit time-consuming, but now it'll work with any kernel.

Reply #9
It's explained in more detail on the Arch Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Wireless#Respecting_the_regulatory_domain

Basically how each country partititions RF spaces varies a little and by default it goes through a lowest-common-denominator setting which might not be the best. Though, I think @calvinh's explanation is more likely.

What this means is that you must use the package from the official repository called linux, and boot with it, for the package called broadcom-wl to work. If you experiment with your kernel (changing to Linux-LTS or Linux-ZEN, compiling it yourself, etc.), it won't work.

However, there's broadcom-wl-dkms if you want -- the driver will be automatically built locally after every kernel update, which is a bit time-consuming, but now it'll work with any kernel.

Thank you for your patience @capezotte
I'm not sure, I just issued a command to install LTS and booted to it and it became default.
So, now I should
sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl
and reboot? Should I do something else before or after? (sorry for asking too much questions)

Reply #10
> But I am on LTS now.

Install linux-lts-headers.
OK... installing!
UPDATE:
Done and rebooted.

Should I now
and reboot?
I just want to be sure I won't break things and make it harder to fix.

Reply #11
OK... installing!
UPDATE:
Done and rebooted.

Should I nowand reboot?
I just want to be sure I won't break things and make it harder to fix.

If you installed broadcom-wl-dkms, there's no need to, it can also compile the package for the plain linux kernel.

Reply #12
If you installed broadcom-wl-dkms, there's no need to, it can also compile the package for the plain linux kernel.
I installed as above:
Code: [Select]
I can't now see even that I have WiFi! Deleted the previous WiFi then added a new one. Still can't see!

Reply #13
I had problems with both Intel 533AN _HW 5300 (slow on some routers) and Broadcom BCM943224HMS wifi (didn't work at all with std kernel driver except to make a local connection to the router and crashed the OS sometimes trying to connect online, didn't try any other drivers), I'm using a Belkin / Ralink PCMCIA card and an Atheros AR5B97 half mini PCI internal card (which was incredibly cheap for a used one) which are both working very well. So that's one "solution" to swap in some other suitable card, although perhaps not the smartest in software terms!

Reply #14
I had problems with both Intel 533AN _HW 5300 (slow on some routers) and Broadcom BCM943224HMS wifi (didn't work at all with std kernel driver except to make a local connection to the router and crashed the OS sometimes trying to connect online, didn't try any other drivers), I'm using a Belkin / Ralink PCMCIA card and an Atheros AR5B97 half mini PCI internal card (which was incredibly cheap for a used one) which are both working very well. So that's one "solution" to swap in some other suitable card, although perhaps not the smartest in software terms!
OK
Thanks all. @capezotte , @calvinh
I did
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -R broadcom-wl
sudo pacman -S  broadcom-wl-dkms

Rebooted

It automagically worked as usual!
Thank you all.