Skip to main content
Topic: 1st steps and the KISS principle? (Read 1961 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1st steps and the KISS principle?

Reply #15
WHYYY?   Because during an installation there are already enough things that COULD go wrong so I really cannot imagine why you would wanna have a screensaving lockout.
No, there aren't. The live environment is totally unrelated to the system being installed in this regard.

Furthermore at the time of the cited event the passwords had already been set up so it seemed to me that one of THOSE should work.
The live environment is totally separated from the system being installed. You MUST change the passwords manually in live to get into the situation you describe.

The point is otherwise totally moot because since then I have done about half a dozen installs, three good ones, the last one bombing on an update (next post). BTW I've spent my life in risk management, it's all about risk/reward: you automatically reject all risks that give no reward, such as a lockout during an install.
The live ISOs especially the DE ones, are meant to give you a good indication on how your installed system will be. You can't buy apples in live only to eat lemons in installed.

I formatted p4 and went with the latest plasma install DVD as I had on the laptop, I probably did NOT ask it to deploy grub boot code, instead when done I just rebooted and the existing grub code last deployed from within a Suse partition took up the task and booted it no problem. Then I did some tweaks, fixed the passwords down to what I want, installed a Firefox-derivative, edited universe into pacman.conf,  issued a pacman -Sy and then pacman -Su.  This last op went part way, maybe to 80% when it suddenly bombed with a message like "segfault out of disk space".
Oh, come on, you rebooted after a "segfault out of disk space" message give by the package manager on full system update?

Reply #16
There was  a major breaking version update to pacman and libalpm this summer, there were various instructions online on how to get round this, that's probably part of the update issue. Not sure on the isos you tried, but some have a desktop manager (sddm or something) because you can choose different desktops to boot.

Tried 2 isos these days, the artix-plasma-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso and its xfce twin of the same date which locked out and got thereupon sidelined. So I suspect that any residual pacman issues would have been dealt with in both. Today I will try the SuperGrub frisby which somehow puts all distros to shame but with no kernel in /boot I don't see how that could do much. Another bit of cannibalism I'm likely to try is to paste-in a vmlinuz with no init from this laptop which is the product of the above iso rather than last year's.  Slackware never used an init at all that I know of and I've done this a few times even with distros that do. Then once booted I can try some other TS and ultimate fix.

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #17
No, there aren't. The live environment is totally unrelated to the system being installed in this regard.
The live environment is totally separated from the system being installed. You MUST change the passwords manually in live to get into the situation you describe.

If I were to write an installer it would provide the critical-mission environment, but there's no point in going there.Virtually all distros provide a gui installer which people download, burn, feed the beast, and then execute following the instructions and accompanying  placarded instructions and help links. That's exactly what I did.

The live ISOs especially the DE ones, are meant to give you a good indication on how your installed system will be. You can't buy apples in live only to eat lemons in installed.

That 'indication' I can do without, a gui interface is always preferable in my case. Next time I might try the basic iso, if the 'basic' in that has to do with the installer interface and not the installed product (I'll have to re-read the verbose about them).

Oh, come on, you rebooted after a "segfault out of disk space" message give by the package manager on full system update?

Simply put, yes.  I've seen many segfaults with zypper too and the 'out-of-space' was, as I suspected in this case, totally false.

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #18
The base installer will only install what you tell it to, you can create your system however you desire. But please carefully study the Artix wiki instructions first, especially Installation and Configuration:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/
And also the Arch wiki contains much helpful information, but remember not all (especially systemd related matters) will apply here.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/installation_guide
The pacman version 6 update only applies to updating your year old system - possibly pacman-static might be helpful. Also there was a change to zstd for the kernel image compression, you might need to edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, COMPRESSION="lz4" is backwards and forwards compatible and faster than zstd if not as compressed. Also it might help to chroot in from an iso and install / reinstall / update stuff like that, or possibly even use basestrap from the base installer. But in this case I suppose you might as well make a list of your installed packages and start again using that as a guide. But for that (the year old update) expect a few failed attempts so have a backup to start again with.

Reply #19
The base installer will only install what you tell it to, you can create your system however you desire. But please carefully study the Artix wiki instructions first, especially Installation and Configuration:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/
And also the Arch wiki contains much helpful information, but remember not all (especially systemd related matters) will apply here.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/installation_guide
The pacman version 6 update only applies to updating your year old system - possibly pacman-static might be helpful. Also there was a change to zstd for the kernel image compression, you might need to edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, COMPRESSION="lz4" is backwards and forwards compatible and faster than zstd if not as compressed. Also it might help to chroot in from an iso and install / reinstall / update stuff like that, or possibly even use basestrap from the base installer. But in this case I suppose you might as well make a list of your installed packages and start again using that as a guide. But for that (the year old update) expect a few failed attempts so have a backup to start again with.

Thanks, some of this is a bit over my paygrade as far as Artix familiarity goes but I'll look into it. For now 4 successive download tries of the base image failed. I won't be on my desktop death-star until tonight, then I'll attempt some radical experimentation and failing that probably just try one or another reinstall  ;D

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #20

Just a quick heads-up/addendum out of respect and gratitude for those who had chimed in trying to help:

My g73 laptop now has the artix-plasma-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso installation on partitions 4 and 8, I'll be playing with these as time permits to get familiar with things artix

My amd-desktop had last years Artix-xfce  installed on partitions 4 and 8,  yesterday I reinstalled the above more recent system on partition 4 which subsequently dropped dead during an attempted update.  I have not been able to salvage that installation so the 3 hours of work is vaporized, just reinstalled anew. The other year-old open-rc system on partition 8 was still good but I had forgotten the passwords so I broke into the grub menu and fixed that. I may try to upgrade it but since I had not spent too much time on tweaking it a reinstall (very quick BTW) is probably the way to go.

I also downloaded the artix-base-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso which took about 6 or 7 attempts trying almost that many different repo servers. This base route interests me but I'll have to read up on a few things first (like wifi setup at the cLi level) so I'll be posting separately if I have any problems.

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #22
Please don't create multiple posts in succession. Use the "Quick Edit" button or "Modify" menu item instead.

be happy to, I think, if I figure out what you mean

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #23
My amd-desktop had last years Artix-xfce  installed on partitions 4 and 8,  yesterday I reinstalled the above more recent system on partition 4 which subsequently dropped dead during an attempted update.

If it was working fine why did you reinstall Artix is not a fixed release its rolling so always upto date just do pacman -Syu done

Reply #24
My amd-desktop had last years Artix-xfce  installed on partitions 4 and 8,  yesterday I reinstalled the above more recent system on partition 4 which subsequently dropped dead during an attempted update.

If it was working fine why did you reinstall Artix is not a fixed release its rolling so always upto date just do pacman -Syu done

Bad habit formed by tumbleweed maybe, it too was supposed to be a rolling release of sorts but seldom makes a whole year without throwing a fatal fit. Also, before I start to take any distro I don't use regularly seriously I usually install it at least a dozen times just to see how it does installation. I'll be kicking the tires on Devuam too in 2022, another one I first installed in 2021. I first tried Artix a year ago, then much more important events came visiting (like triple-A surgery) so I just about never booted it since then. 

Who, has loved us more?